Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2007 VN900, bought last summer. I went for my first ride of the season this weekend, and noticed a squeaking sound coming from the bike. Nothing seemed loose, and the bike seemed no different as far as handling or anything. It was only noticeable at lower speeds, probably < 25 mph. Really noticed it in the parking lot of a store as I was leaving. once I got on the interstate, it went away (either due to the rpm's being higher or something else) and then when i got to my destination about 50 miles later, the squeaking was gone. Anyone have this issue or know what it could be possibly? I don't know much about working on these bikes, I have only been riding for about 2 years now. Appreciate any help.

·
Registered
273 Posts
its probably your belt drive. if its a tiny little off, it will squeek. mine did this right after i bought it, because they didnt have the rear wheel and belt straight enough. you'll have to loosen the rear wheel and adjust it.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Squeaking or squeling? Check fenders if it squeaking

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not squeeling, it's more of a sqeak like you would hear if you were bouncing on a bed with springs...not sure how else to explain it.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
You have any idea in what area the noise is coming from ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is hard to tell while riding it, but it sounds like it is coming from beneath the seat to the back of the bike somewhere...just hard to pinpoint.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
If the belt & fender check out as good, then I'd look to rear suspension. Since you have a 2007 who knows how long the rear suspension has been serviced ('07 will have zerk fittings to add grease to the swing arm). Would also check and lube the pivot bushings for the rear shock.

·
Registered
273 Posts
adjust the belt & wheel....adjust the belt & wheel....adjust the belt & wheel....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hello,

I experienced a squeaking at low speeds (think its the only time you can really hear it). I had someone adjust the drive belt and condition it with a lubricant. That seems to have resolved it.

Hope this helps!

Germanchocolate

·
Registered
41 Posts
This may sound odd, but does it sound like a train moving on a train track braking? That's the way mine sounded. It was the drive belt that needed adjusting.

·
Registered
242 Posts
This is a long shot but my bike squeaks occasionally. It turned out to be the plasti-chrome trim piece on the rear fender. Does it happen when you sit on the bike and bounce it up and down a bit?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I guess the question also would be , does the squeaking speed up as the rpms go up? if so then we know it is a rotation of some sort, have you tried to just walk the bike up and down the driveway to see if you can hear it, You said you can't find it while on the bike

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is a long shot but my bike squeaks occasionally. It turned out to be the plasti-chrome trim piece on the rear fender. Does it happen when you sit on the bike and bounce it up and down a bit?
I guess the question also would be , does the squeaking speed up as the rpms go up? if so then we know it is a rotation of some sort, have you tried to just walk the bike up and down the driveway to see if you can hear it, You said you can't find it while on the bike
It does not happen when I sit on the bike and bounce it up and down.

The
squeaking does not speed up as the rpm's go up. it stays pretty consistent actually.

anyone have any links or any advice on how to adjust the belt drive and rear wheel so I an try doing that myself?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
So then the squeaking will increase with speed then go away at a certain speed

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
right, it seems to go away after a bit...almost as if it goes away after the bike is warmed up or something. Some days it won't do it all though....really strange.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
if it was a belt it would happen everyday, I would lube the the zerk fittings under the bike and take a quick check on the rear break pads and make sure nothing is sticking, also check the the latch attachment under the seat that holds the seat down ,make sure that is not loose, check all bolts also on the rear wheel to make sure every thing is nice and tight. Also check air pressure

If you plan on fixing your bike on your own in the future, I would invest into a bike lift, I bought mine at Harbor frieght for $69.99. My lift has paid for it self in the first month

1 - 18 of 18 Posts