Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help and some advice.

The rear tire on my '07 Meany seems to be wearing VERY badly only on the left side. The center isn't too bad, and the right side looks almost untouched. But the left side is bad enough the shop won't let it pass inspection.
The mechanic claims it is because it is a 180 rear, and that the wheel is too narrow for it.

Obviously I will need a new tire, but is there anything that would account for the abnormal wear?

Also, what would people recommend for the rear tire on a Meany? I notice this bike uses sportbike tires, rather than the bias tires my old Shadow had.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
It's not unusual for the left side of the tires to wear more, but it's usually more so on the front. The wear on any rear I've has been primarily center.

Got any pictures?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hope this shows up.
Basically, the left side is worn out and the right side has a lot of life left.
so I'll need a new tire regardless, and so far the research is hinting at an Avon Storm.

But what would cause the left side only to wear out like that?

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
How many miles did you get out of the tire? Depending on how crowned the roads you ride on are, I have heard that it is not that unusual for the left to wear out faster.

I bought my 2004 Meanie new, and it failed inspection the very next year with only 3500 miles on the stock Dunlops. The brands are limited in the OEM Size (130/70-R17 front and 170/60-R17 rear, at least in 2004) but I have been happier with the Bridgestones. Make sure you check the air pressure fairly often...underinflation causes excess wear also.

I still am lucky to squeeze 7500 miles or so out of a set.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts