Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a '07 Mean Streak. Engine turns over. Have compression and spark, but won't start. 2 out of 3 leads me to fuel. Sprayed fuel in the throttle body and it fires up for a second then dies. What's my next step? Don't want to just throw parts at it till it works. I want to find the issue first, just don't know where to start.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Do you hear the fuel pump priming when you turn the key? There should be a whine for a couple of seconds, if not it might lead to the fuel pump or connection.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hear a click under the tank, but no whine

Is there anyway to test the fuel pump to verify it is dead instead of just not getting signal?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I found a manual online last night. Gonna print it out Monday when I get to work (ain't wastin' my ink), and put it in a binder. Found a pump rebuild kit for $60. Went ahead and ordered it. Figured I could always throw it on a shelf if I don't need it right now. Much better than buying a whole new pump for $500.

Lifted the seat earlier today and noticed a black wire with a ring terminal on it. Guess the previous owner forgot to put it back when he put the battery back in. I'm assuming it's a ground. Does it go to the battery or the frame?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No Dice. Held it to the neg on battery & screw on battery clamp earlier. Pump wouldn't prime on either. It's aggravating trying to read the prints for the wiring on my laptop. Rebuild kit will be in Mon, and I'll print out a physical copy of the manual then too. Until then it's just gonna sit there mocking me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'll be interested to see how that works out for you. It looks nothing like my Mean Streak fuel pump, but the pictures don't always match the exact product.

The fuel controller ground won't affect the fuel pump, but might cause strange running once you get started. Glad you found it now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It appears that you disassemble the original, replace the electrical components and reuse the metal and plastic frame.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll be interested to see how that works out for you. It looks nothing like my Mean Streak fuel pump, but the pictures don't always match the exact product.
Well the pump portion would have worked, but the filter was incompatible. The frame for the pump was rusted pretty bad, so I just bit the bullet and ordered a whole new pump. Put the original pump back in and dumped ~5 gal of vinegar in the tank to eat away at the rust while waiting for the new pump to come in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fuel tank Rust Removal=Check
Coolant Flush=Check
New Fuel Pump=Check
Bike Runs Now=CHECK!!!!!

Back on the road again.
Now it's time to run through the full list of periodic maintenance to make sure no other issues pop up, then start working on the Sportster to get it running.

Thanks for the advice and guidance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts