Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ran into an issue..

I was fixing up the bike after laying it down 2 weeks ago, everything was good to go, key on, hit the ignition and it turned over once or twice and then everything died. No lights, wont turn over, nothing. Found this odd since after the accident, i started it 3 times and rode it about 30 miles.

I checked all the fuses, they all look good. My only thought maybe somehow the battery died, so I have it charging now, but in case that is not it, what else could it be? Bike gets absolutely no power.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Start with the battery. After you think it's fully charged disconnect it from the charger, wait 30 minutes and check the voltage. Anything less than 12.6 VDC generally means the battery is toast. If the battery reads good then try and start the bike. Bring the rev's up and measure the voltage at the battery. It should be well above 13 VDC and more like 14.5 VDC.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Also, just make sure the connections are clean and tight. Could have been loose before and when you put current through it burned the little bit that was keeping you going off. With a good battery and clean terminals on the bike, spray some terminal protectant on it (available from the autoparts store) or melt some vaseline and pour that over the connections. No air means no corrosion though every once in a while you should check the torque on the screws, they do loosen once in a while.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So here is my next question...

I had the bike plugged into the wall most of the day, and it is showing signs of life...lights will come on for a second or two before shutting off now. Is it really possible that a battery I have never had any issues with just completely died over the last 1.5 weeks or should I be looking into an alternator issue.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My 900 died a week ago turn the key, nothing, battery voltage 12.6 Load test, shows no cranking amps. Yes a battery can fail quite suddenly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts