Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm trying to diagnose a new tapping sound that developed this past Saturday while following the Mrs on her maiden voyage.

I've read through the forums and searched with more results for tapping revolving around the output shaft failure. Initially the tapping sounded like it was originating from that area and i could feel a pulsing that matched the tapping by placing my hand on the front pulley cover. So I pulled the cover and all appeared well. The sound was also clearly not coming from the output shaft.

So I listened around a bit more and even went so far as to use the old school method of using a plastic handled screwdriver or chisel to listen with and try to pinpoint the sound. Nothing sounded out of the ordinary.

So now I'm wondering if it isn't the cam chain tensioner either finally being worn out or in between adjustments.

The sound seems to be coming from around the heads and can be heard in the video as kind of a deeper back stage tapping to the valves.

Thoughts? Any help would be appreciated. I don't really want to ride her if it's gonna cause more damage.

Some background on the bike:

I've had her for about 300 miles. I don't know when the last oil change was but it seems due one since the oil is black even though it's holding at full. The oil, in my best guess, is likely non-synthetic. She pulls fine, idles fine, etc.

The only weird thing I noticed was that with the rear tire in the air it still turns when the engine is running even with the clutch pulled in. As in I start the bike with it in neutral, grab the clutch and put it in first and before I release the clutch the rear wheel starts turning at a fair pace.

I'm going to try to attach a video for sound but you can also see the pulley cranking once the bike is put in gear while I still have the clutch held. I'm guessing it's a lack of friction on the tire since its in the air. If the video won't attach I'll upload to YouTube and link it later.

If this were a car I'd be better off but I'm a bit out of my depth with the bike.

Thanks in advance,

-Alloy

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's a link to the video:

https://youtu.be/wFM0DjFjofc

You can hear it starting around the 11s mark. I've panned around the motor and exhaust trying to get various angles to help pinpoint but being a noisy engine and my fan kicking on its still hard to pinpoint.

Also excuse the mess I'm in the middle of about 5 projects around the homestead, lol.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
1. Wet clutches drag a little, even when pulled.
2. I, personally, cannot hear anything to worry about, but?
3. The valves are due to be checked because previous owner probably never did them.
4. Any sort of rust colored dust around front pulley area?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1. Wet clutches drag a little, even when pulled.
2. I, personally, cannot hear anything to worry about, but?
3. The valves are due to be checked because previous owner probably never did them.
4. Any sort of rust colored dust around front pulley area?
1. Thanks for the info.

2. Copy that. I'm hoping I'm just being overly concerned. Steady noises don't bother me so much but new ones always concern me.

3. I had planned on a valve job in a couple of weeks when I'm also gonna swap to synthetic oil.

4. I didn't notice anything any worse than what's on the pulley itself but I'll take a closer look tonight. If there is any rust colored dust what's the suggestion aside from cleaning it up?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, so here's some additional info.

I stopped by the house one my lunch break and decided to fire her up and take another listen. I noticed two things.

#1. The tapping is more noticeable when she's cold and becomes more of a knock and seems more in the heads. Without a stethoscope its hard to tell which side of the heads.

#2. Under revs there's you can smell unburnt fuel but only immediately following revs like the kind you hear folks doing at stop lights because either they love the exhaust note or they're showing off, lol.

Fuel wise I run 93 but that is more of a habit from my muscle car days.

·
Registered
308 Posts
check the normal noise(s) this engine makes:

there is also a ticking noise the throttle body makes when it closes; very distinctive. you will hear that every once in a while when idling or when you pull in the clutch while cruising...

·
Registered
41 Posts
As a quick thought, make sure the exhaust pipe to head gaskets are sealed, snug the flange nuts and see if they are loose, exhausts leaks will sometimes sound like ticking. They use crushable washers between the pipe flange and head and with time they can crush enough to allow gases to pass.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts