Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a new battery a couple weeks ago. Since then I've been having problems. When my engine is cold it gives my a little crap starting up. I can take off fine but as soon as I shift into second it's starts cutting out and will usually die. While this is happening the red light on my speedo comes on.

It only lasts for a few blocks and then everything is fine.

I can find my way around a car engine but I'm out of my element with a motorcycle. It's really nice out and I don't want to ride in fear of messing something up further. I posted on Reddit but figured this would be the best place to ask. Here is my original post copy and pasted:

It all started after I put in a new battery. I have checked the connections on the battery everything is tight and where it should be.

With a cold engine it will cut out and sometimes die and the red temp light will turn on while it's happening. No problems after a couple minutes of riding. I've checked the plugs they look good. Oil levels are good. Radiator is full.

It also hesitates a bit before starting. Normally it will fire right up, now it's cranking several times before starting.

I blew through the tank vent hoses and they are clear.

Everything appears to be a fuel system problem however all of my experience is with cars. This is my first bike, other than a new battery, an oil change, and tightening the bolts holding the fuel pump on (minor gas leak when it would sit over night) I've had to do nothing to it in the last year I've had it.

Update: Just took it for a short 2 mile ride. When I shift into second is when the problem seems to present itself. But after dying twice in 3 blocks and a few more bog downs it straightened up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I pulled the cover to test the stator. So uhh which one of these plugs do I stick my prong in? There's a write up on the Vulcan 900 forums I read, however it says 3 white wires. I have 3 plugs here 1 has black wires 1 has yellow with black stripes and 1 has black with red, yellow, and white stripes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Alright stuck the prongs in the plug closest to me with the 3 black wires. Set on AC at idle was was reading 23, revved up it went to 110-111.

Edit: Found a service manual online. I was testing the correct plug for the stator. My Voltage seems to be high though. The manual says 60-90 at 3000 RPM, granted i dont have tach I just revved it slightly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds more like a fuel prob,it is fuel injected ,no?sure it's not the FI Light?
It has a choke so I'm thinking its carbed. Ugh the more I talk the more I realize I know so very little about my bike.

My first thought was fuel. I started to steer away from that when I hooked up a battery charger on 10 amps and it fired up first turn over.

Battery is reading 12.4 volts idle and 13.6 when revved.

I'm so lost at this point.

I just wanna ride!:crying2:

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Near the battery, you should find a bundle of black/yellow wires that terminate in an orange colored plug. Check to see if the plug looks burned or scorched.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Must b carb then,Hopefully sfair will chime in,He is the man,ask ya make model any mods and if u have a meter,lots of help here,would also add some seafoam to the fuel,help clean out some crud you might have

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Near the battery, you should find a bundle of black/yellow wires that terminate in an orange colored plug. Check to see if the plug looks burned or scorched.
I'm not seeing a bundle of black/yellow wires. I did however find a single black wire with a yellow stripe that looks like it plugs into another identical wire. No scorching but they were unplugged. Not sure why or what they are.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Must b carb then,Hopefully sfair will chime in,He is the man,ask ya make model any mods and if u have a meter,lots of help here,would also add some seafoam to the fuel,help clean out some crud you might have
Seafoam was the first thing I did. Havent been able to run even 1/4 of the tank though in fear of setting off a chain reaction.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would follow sfairs advice,I thought it was fI,He is very helpful with the these problems
I've been all over these forums trying to see if anyone had a similar situation and what they figured out. I have seen Sfairs name come up probably 100 times with nothing but praise. If he says something I will listen. Not going to lie I got pretty happy when I saw he was replying to this thread.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Trying to get some pictures uploaded to imgur. I am terrible at trying to describe what I see.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
http://imgur.com/a/kVUbA

those are the clearest shots i could get in my dark shop

Edit: I'm sitting here trying to decipher the hieroglyphs that make up the electrical section of the service manual. If I am reading this correctly the black/yellow wire that was unplugged ties the charging system to the battery. Was this my problem?

Final Edit: Plugged in the black and yellow wire and there's no more cutting out or dying, fired up first crank over. I had to have unplugged it when I was removing the old battery....Oops

Thank you guys for the awesome input. Stay safe out there!

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
'06 Vulcan Classic is fuel injected. The fast idle knob says choke because ma kawi didnt spend the money to change knobs. I went through the same thing about the "choke knob" on my '05 Classic and it was fuel injected.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

those are the clearest shots i could get in my dark shop

Edit: I'm sitting here trying to decipher the hieroglyphs that make up the electrical section of the service manual. If I am reading this correctly the black/yellow wire that was unplugged ties the charging system to the battery. Was this my problem?

Final Edit: Plugged in the black and yellow wire and there's no more cutting out or dying, fired up first crank over. I had to have unplugged it when I was removing the old battery....Oops

Thank you guys for the awesome input. Stay safe out there!
Glad to hear b safe out there:smile2:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts