Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I’m new here and have had my 06 Vulcan 900 for a few months now. I noticed about a month ago while riding at night my headlight appeared to dim out slightly then get bright again. When it first started I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me. Fast forward you tonight, it became very noticeable so I bought a new bulb think the low beam side was getting ready to fail. I put a new bulb in and went for a ride and 5 min in it blew both sides of the bulb. I got the bike home and put a meter on the battery and at idle (slow) I’m getting about 12.98V but under acceleration the meter climbed to 18V!!!! I shut the bike off so I don’t blow anything else. Thoughts? Regulator? Stator? Short? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The 900's are known for stator issues. But what you're describing sounds a lot like a regulator problem. The only way to know for sure is to test the entire charging system. There used to be a stator thread in the forums that detailed how to do that. I don't know if that would be any help or not. I've never had that problem with mine. I had a bad stator twice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I may have gotten very lucky. The guy I bought this from had replaced the stator/regular with a kit from eBay and he gave me the old bad parts. I just happened to save the “bad” regulator and for kicks I swapped it out and now am running between 12.98 and just under 14 volts across the battery.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That's good news. I've heard bad stories about people getting stators and regulators from e bay and having trouble with them. When I had stator issues, even the local kawi shop said Ricks motorsports had the best ones. I bought one from them and haven't had problems since. Glad to hear you have it running though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It all makes sense now because in the short time I’ve owned the bike I’ve had every possible bulb burn out and I suspect this has been a problem for a while. I’m going to load test the battery tomorrow and probably look to replace it as I’m sure it’s taken a beating.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts