Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Fault list meaning potential problems? Gonna be a pretty short list. After 15,000 to 40,000 miles you may need a stator replaced but other than that basic maintenance items like brake pads, oil changes, tires, etc. and you are good to go. Valve check/adjust should be included in the basic maintenance every 15,000 miles and drive belts go about 50,000. These things are bullet proof and should go 100,000 miles at least if maintained properly.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
+1 to above.

06's and 07's are notorious for Stator failures. There's a good chance yours will go. It might not, but there's a good chance. Easy and inexpensive repair when/if it goes. Just be dilligent in keeping on top of your charging voltage and if you ever notice a 'whirring' or 'spaceship' sound (high pitched) from the engine, begin checking the charging system for faults.

Other then that, that's it. These are very reliable problems. Personally, I will gladly embrace the stator problem over cam chain tensioners breaking apart, oil pumps failing, transmissions grenading or output shafts grinding themselves apart. Just a short excerpt from a very long list of 'common faults' that exist on some other bikes. If there is any one thing the 900 is best at, it's reliability for sure.

In fact, a few weeks ago my wife and I were talking about it. Eventually I'm gonna get a bigger touring bike (Vulcan Voyager, H-D Ultra Classic, Goldwing; something along those lines). But, given the reliability of these bikes, I'm gonna keep the 900- not trade it in. I'm just gonna strip off all of my accessories and make it an around-town/afternoon cruise bike. You just can't go wrong with a bike that you can depend on as long as you do some basic maintenance.

·
Registered
260 Posts
+1 to above.
Eventually I'm gonna get a bigger touring bike (Vulcan Voyager, H-D Ultra Classic, Goldwing; something along those lines). But, given the reliability of these bikes, I'm gonna keep the 900- not trade it in. I'm just gonna strip off all of my accessories and make it an around-town/afternoon cruise bike. You just can't go wrong with a bike that you can depend on as long as you do some basic maintenance.
I'm in the same boat here. Once I pay off my 900, I'm getting a bigger one but keeping the 900 as a fun bike. I've already stripped it down and turned it into a solo/bobber bike. It's a lot of fun to ride. Good handling in the city, good gas mileage (I reliably get 46-50). Mine is an 06 as well as hasn't had any issues as far as I know. I bought mine used at 25k miles. I've put 3k on it this year since June. I couldn't be happier.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts