Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be the original battery. On my way to work this morning and I noticed the clock had reset. I usually have the display set to the trip odometer, so it was strange to see the time on it at all. The time was wrong and must have reset to 12:00 sometime while I was riding. Pretty sure it was normal when I left the house. I probably had turned it off and started it back up while in traffic as it was exceptionally bad today with last night's storms. The trip odometer had also reset. I should probably get the battery tested and I am guessing it would be just like getting any other battery checked. Any recommendations for OEM or aftermarket battery replacement?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Like oil, everybody will have a favorite or opinion so: I've bought OEM batteries, over priced brand name batteries, and discount Walmart batteries. The've all performed about the same. I bring them in the house and put them on a tender over the winter. I use the tender if I'm not riding for a week or more and I get 4-5 yrs.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I use Yusa YTX12-BS. Like Steve said everyone has an opinion, I just buy a nice highly rated battery and make sure that it is taken care of properly.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I need to stop to see if Autozone or someone can check the battery for now.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
If
I need to stop to see if Autozone or someone can check the battery for now.

If you suspect the battery may be the original it's not even worth a trip to test it, IMO.

Confirm the charging voltage on the bike is OK and, if so, just get a new battery.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would like to get it tested to see what they say. I DO NOT want to find myself stranded.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I would like to get it tested to see what they say. I DO NOT want to find myself stranded.

That's my point, exactly; to not be stranded.

If it is the original battery you are already on borrowed time for battery life even if, by chance, it would test OK today. This is one of the rare occasions when I suggest to replace a part regardless of testing.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Had the same symptoms of failing batteries as JCC, but the clock/odo reset situation occurred when cranking to start the engine. Starter draws enough power to cause the reset. Have generally bought replacement batteries via the internet - the one which lasted the longest was an unbranded Chinese-made battery which lasted 5 years. Current battery is a Chrome bought via eBay - cost $25 with an eBay $10 coupon. Still good so far after two years.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you. It very well may have reset after a restart. I was in some traffic and did kill the engine a few times in the commute.

Jeremy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts