Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe I am overfilling since the bike is sometimes tilted when I fuel up. It does not seem to seal and leaks down my gas tank at times. Anyone heard of this? The rubber seal does look cracked up some. It is a keyed fuel cap, so not sure how easy that is to replace. Maybe the key part moves to the replacement? Please let me know what you know. Thank you!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
403 Posts
Since you mentioned possible overfilling, how full do you fill it? When I park at the station, I turn the front wheel full left, and the cap of course is on the right. I fill it only to the bottom of the filler neck (cage insert). This is what the owners manual says..Then put the cap back on. That way, when the bike is stood up straight, the fuel level shows full on the fuel gauge, without overfilling it. I also hope you don't need a new gas cap. The price is close to $100, and there does not appear to be a replacement for just the rubber ring at the bottom of the cap. There would also be key lock matching involved, etc.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Agree with jbiggers - insert fuel filler nozzle until it bottoms out on the bottom of the gas tank cage and fill no higher than the cage bottom. Try that and see whether that resolves the leakage problem. Can recall only a few instances of Vulcan 900 owners reporting cracked or broken gas cap seals so it seems to be a rare occurrence.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will try that. I am talking about a good bit of leakage which makes me think it may not be holding fumes in very well either.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I also hope that the gas cap seal is not cracked or broken. As jbiggers posted the replacement cost is pricey - the least expensive one I have seen is for about $90 on eBay and then you also would have another key to deal with.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also hope that the gas cap seal is not cracked or broken. As jbiggers posted the replacement cost is pricey - the least expensive one I have seen is for about $90 on eBay and then you also would have another key to deal with.
The rubber part, maybe the seal, is a bit cracked up. Can I use an aftermarket gas cap?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
As someone who often cobbles things together out of parts which are not OEM I wonder whether you could buy a flat tight-fitting gasket from an auto supply or hardware store which would seal the tank with your OEM cap. Perhaps take your OEM cap into an auto supply store such as O"Reilly's and let them see what they can do. You can use any aftermarket gas cap which will fit and would not leak. I don't know whether a locking Stanton gas cap intended for car use would work. There are aftermarket gas caps offered on eBay for example but if you wish to use an aftermarket gas cap which is much less expensive it likely will not be lockable.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am not worried about the locking. Thank you.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
See attached photo for seal cracks.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Wonder what would cause that sort of cracking? My gas '07 900 gas cap seal is slightly different but has zero cracking. Apparently it is possible to buy only the OEM type seal for at least some Kawi models, as in:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you. I am not the original owner and neither was my neighbor who I bought the bike from.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I checked with kawasakipartswarehouse.com and the part is discontinued. Must be why this seller can charge $12+ for a seal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was looking through my papers last night and saw a recall notice from Kawasaki regarding the gas cap leaking on early models. You may be able to get a new cap/gasket from the dealer for free.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks like this is for the entire fuel tank rather than just the cap.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Looks like this is for the entire fuel tank rather than just the cap.

On affected REPLACEMENT FUEL TANKS DELIVERED TO DEALERS BETWEEN APRIL 7, 2008 AND SEPTEMBER 22, 2008, under certain riding conditions, FUEL CAN LEAK FROM BETWEEN THE TANK FILLER NECK AND THE FUEL CAP GASKET Fuel leakage in the presence of spark or flame could cause a fire or explosion possibly resulting in injury or death.

Yes, it is for the whole shebang. But, this is the only recall available concerning fuel tank and/or gas cap gaskets.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
The tank recall as I remember and as stated on the Kawi recall notice (unless I missed something) is only for situations in which the original factory gas tank was replaced with a replacement tank. The recall is for replacement gas tanks, at least some of which apparently were defective.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Interesting - two links to two different recalls affecting gas tanks posted by Du-Ron. I never received the Kawi notice about the second recall.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts