Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like most people I am thinking about the 3 main upgrades.

1. Fuel Processor
2. Exhaust
3. Intake system

These are the choices I am considering.

1. Cobra Fi2000R Fuel Processor
2. Cobra Dragsters Exhaust System
3. Cobra PowrFlo Air Intake Kit

I have heard that I can install new pipes first and worry about the fuel processor seconds and before the intake system.

I have also heard it is a good idea to get the fuel processor first then installing the intake or pipes later will just make everything better.

And third never install the intake kit without first having the a fuel processor installed.

Now my question is, is all of this true? Does anyone have any opinions or experiences with installing these choices?

And is there anybody that might have better choices I should consider?

I have stock pipes on my bike right now, they are completely dabaffled and sound pretty good. Some popping on decel, but nothing major.

I was considering the cobra 2 into 1 pipes vs the dragsters, but always come back to the dragsters being louder and better sounding overall.

I'm all ears for any advice.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Like most people I am thinking about the 3 main upgrades.

1. Fuel Processor
2. Exhaust
3. Intake system

These are the choices I am considering.

1. Cobra Fi2000R Fuel Processor
2. Cobra Dragsters Exhaust System
3. Cobra PowrFlo Air Intake Kit

I have heard that I can install new pipes first and worry about the fuel processor seconds and before the intake system.

Yes ... but you may have some back firing issues unless you "marble" the bike .. search marbling

I have also heard it is a good idea to get the fuel processor first then installing the intake or pipes later will just make everything better.

No , if you increase air flow and add pipes, you will need a fuel processor, i would suggest the FI2000 power pro auto tuners, a true self tune plug and play.. Just adding pipes or air kits do not need a processor .. though i would put one on personally. Both additions defintly need one.

And third never install the intake kit without first having the a fuel processor installed.

I run a hypercharger only with the power pro processor, it is my understanding that this can be done with out, however i like my stuff to run properly. My pipes are completely stock

Now my question is, is all of this true? Does anyone have any opinions or experiences with installing these choices?

And is there anybody that might have better choices I should consider?

I have stock pipes on my bike right now, they are completely dabaffled and sound pretty good. Some popping on decel, but nothing major.

I was considering the cobra 2 into 1 pipes vs the dragsters, but always come back to the dragsters being louder and better sounding overall.

I'm all ears for any advice.
cheers maurice

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
BTW ... there are many on here who have changed pipes, added various fuel processors, and air kits, borrowed maps etc only to find their bike run worse than before the changes. For the best performance, power commanders should be custom mapped on a dyno, a generic map or setting in my opinion does not offer optimal performance. Every bike is different and every situation is different ... ie height above sea level.

·
Registered
292 Posts
It also depends upon the desired result and the money to spend. I wanted drive-ability, fuel economy and not a lot of green spent to get there. Others want the HD sound; others try to make a 900 into a 2000; other just to experiment; others still to be different.

I also have the debaffled stock pipes and a K&N in the stock housing; it was enough for me. But then again, with 4 kids, I amazed she TOLD me to get the bike I wanted......within reason and budget, of course.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BTW ... there are many on here who have changed pipes, added various fuel processors, and air kits, borrowed maps etc only to find their bike run worse than before the changes. For the best performance, power commanders should be custom mapped on a dyno, a generic map or setting in my opinion does not offer optimal performance. Every bike is different and every situation is different ... ie height above sea level.
Very true about every bike running differently. Of course they have setting's that work on most bikes, but doing a Dyno test is the best results by far. I always did worry about that, changing too much and not getting the desired effect. I have only put 75 miles on the 06 Vulcan I bought last week. I'm thinking about putting at least 500 miles on her before I make any changes. Thanks for the input. :)

It also depends upon the desired result and the money to spend. I wanted drive-ability, fuel economy and not a lot of green spent to get there. Others want the HD sound; others try to make a 900 into a 2000; other just to experiment; others still to be different.

I also have the debaffled stock pipes and a K&N in the stock housing; it was enough for me. But then again, with 4 kids, I amazed she TOLD me to get the bike I wanted......within reason and budget, of course.
I am more or less wanting to experiment, and sound close to a Harley. ;)

I have two young boys, and my wife has been supportive so far. But by me talking about all these changes she might just change her mind. Good Point!!! :p

·
Registered
52 Posts
For fuel processor I would highly recommend the FI 2000 power pro. It was super easy to install and I don't have to worry about changing pods or any of that. I've had it on my bike for a few weeks now and I love it.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can make a 900 loud, but it won't sound like a Harley.

Joe
I didn't think really think so, I did however have a Harley owner friend of mine tell me the stage 3 debaffled stock pipes I have sound pretty good. And that is when I started thinking about the dragsters.

For fuel processor I would highly recommend the FI 2000 power pro. It was super easy to install and I don't have to worry about changing pods or any of that. I've had it on my bike for a few weeks now and I love it.
What kind of pipes do you have on your bike right now?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have Vance and Hines Slashcut staggered pipes. I couldn't be happier with them. I looked at all of the pipes out there, but I didn't want super loud so I picked these up because they were loud, but not annoyingly loud.

I feel like all of that it personal preference though.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have Vance and Hines Slashcut staggered pipes. I couldn't be happier with them. I looked at all of the pipes out there, but I didn't want super loud so I picked these up because they were loud, but not annoyingly loud.

I feel like all of that it personal preference though.
Would the Vance And Hines Slashcut's be considered louder than stock pipes completely debaffled?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Depends what you have for baffles in the V&H. The standard baffles that come with the staggered slash cut V&H are quite load. Loader than the stock pipes with drilled baffles. I replaced the V&H stock baffles with their "quiet baffles" and ended up with the perfect sound for me. As someone mentioned, you don't have the displacement to make it sound like a Harley but it's pretty close.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Depends what you have for baffles in the V&H. The standard baffles that come with the staggered slash cut V&H are quite load. Loader than the stock pipes with drilled baffles. I replaced the V&H stock baffles with their "quiet baffles" and ended up with the perfect sound for me. As someone mentioned, you don't have the displacement to make it sound like a Harley but it's pretty close.
I have listened to all sorts of pipes on youtube. I know it's very hard to get the sound you want from a video. But for some reason I end up coming back to these pipes over and over again. I love the looks of them, and the sound on the video's are just amazing.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/14/142/10245/373/PITEM/Vance---Hines-Big-Radius-2-into-2-Exhaust-System-2006-Kawasaki-Vulcan-900-Classic-Parts.aspx

·
Registered
66 Posts
I put the hard krome pipes and a K&N air filter on mine three years ago, about 15k miles. Both made a noticeable difference. No processor installed, and I enjoy the backfire. Zero problems with the bike after 15k miles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts