Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Picked up a 2006 Mean Streak as my second bike ever. 31k miles, has a FC3 USB, Vance and Hines pipes, and I just did a half Caddman (right side only). Bike was running pretty rich before with a ton of popping under 2k RPM. When I did the Caddman I also changed the fuel map on the FC3 from the Vance and Hines map to Zero Map to reduce the richness. Since owning the bike, I've been getting around just 20mpg, the caddman and changing the map didn't seem to have an impact. I ride in the city in light traffic and I'm not very heavy on the throttle. I also changed the plugs, rear ones were pretty fouled. Any thoughts on what my next steps should be to try to improve mileage? Change the fuel map more? Seafoam treatment? Thanks for the help all!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Start with the basics. Seafoam treat the fuel. Also take some Seafoam and an old tooth brush and clean the throttle body bore right behind the brass butterfly valve. Carbon tends to build up there and form a ring. I'd try a preconfigured map from Power Commander like the 215-009. If you did a caddman intake, did you remove the reed valves or at least marble the air intake tubing? If not, that might explain the popping.

https://gadgetsfixitpage.com/article.php/reed-valve-disabling-instructions

·
Registered
279 Posts
If I ride my 03 Classic hard it'll get down to 34 mpg. On average I get 38 to a max of 43 if I go easy on the happy grip. My 03 has a Power Commander, V&H Bigshots, Baron air intake, and all the usual updates from the Gadgets page. My plugs show a light tan color indicating a good air/fuel mix ratio. If your bike is in 20s range for mileage it is running WAY way too rich. Maybe its not getting enough air? Aside from poor mileage I'd also be concerned about gas getting into the oil. I suggest checking your oil level, but even sniff the oil for any hint of a gas odor. If you sense a gas odor in the oil stop riding the bike until you get the fuel/air mix right.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts