Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since this is my first HD and others may be curious as well, I thought I'd keep an ongoing review here as I put miles on her and make changes.

This is what I started with-

It's a stock '06 HD Sportster 1200 Custom with 5300 miles. The only add-ons that were on it when I bought it are the HD quick-detach windshield and the HD sissybar and luggage rack. The windshield mounting system is awesome, aftermarket mfg's need to pay attention to this. It simply clamps to the upper forks and it's on or off in about 10 seconds. If one likes their bikes a little on the quiet side the stock pipes don't dissappoint. They're a little too quiet for my tastes so off they come. The search for pipes was on! There's lots of options, but unfortunately for me the wide selection was mostly drag pipes and I'm not into that sound. Most pipes I saw were pretty standard stuff and a new set could be easily had for $300. The selection of custom pipes for sporty's is pretty limited IMHO, they're available but be ready to spend $700 and up, way out of my league. After a lot of searching I found out that Hooker makes pipes for HD's, I also found out that they are getting out of the MC pipe business and were dumping their inventory on their ebay store. Score! I got a brand new set of Hooker Rebels for $100! They are loud, not drag pipe loud, but still loud, now it sounds like a Harley, lol! They look a heck of a lot better than stock pipes too.

This weekend was one of the nicest we've had in awhile, topping out around 38, not much wind, and mostly sunny. I took advantage of it and put on about 300 miles:D

Power-
It has plenty of it! I can really tell it's lighter than my old MS and my 900. Weighing in at around 570 pounds, it's very easy to manuever and the power/weight ratio is great. It'll easily out accelerate my 900, and would probably give my old MS a run for it's money stop light to stop light. It's not as responsive throttle wise because it's carbed, but still very smooth and even across the board.

Handling-
I would have to put handling as average. The skinny 21" front doesn't feel as sure footed in the turns as does my 900 or my old MS, I think both of them would kick the sporty's butt in the twisties. It's very solid up to around 115mph, past that not so much, I did hit 120mph and that's were I stopped, it had more to go power-wise, but it just didn't feel solid enough to push it. Maybe with a fatter front tire and a fork brace I could get more out of it, but I have don't really need to go that fast anyway:p

Ride-
Keep in mind that I'm 5'8" and a close to 200lbs, so your experience may vary, lol! Honestly, I am very impressed with the ride, sure, it vibrates while you're sitting still, but once you get moving it smooths right out. There's a little vibe at about 65mph, but jump just above that it's very smooth, it loves to run at 75-80 mph. The fit is very nice for me, the stock forward controls are just right and the mid-height buckhorn bars are suprisingly comfortable, feeling very similar to the drag bars on a VN900 custom. The stock suspension soaks up the road very nicely, I've hit some pretty nasty bridge joints and railroad crossings and so far it handles that nicely. All of my riding so far has been solo, so the ride review may change once I add my 100lb wife. My biggest complaint to date is the stock seat, it's absolutely awful, 20 minutes into a ride and my tailbone is killing me, ibuprofen is a must until I can get an aftermarket seat for it.

Misc.-
The one thing that I think is possibly the coolest little thing is HD's thumbscrew throttle lock. It's a PITA to get to, especially wearing gloves, but once you get it set it works great and lets me rest my right hand a bit.

The self cancelling turn signals are nice, but the layout takes some getting used to. The left turn button is on the left side of the handle bars and the right signal button is on the right, a little odd at first, but I'm getting used to it.

So far on our winter mix of fuel that we get here I'm averaging 45mpg on 91 octane. With the 4.5 gallon tank I should be able to get around 150 miles before switching to reserve.

More to come as I rack up some miles:D

·
Premium Member
12,013 Posts
I've never driven a Harley and write ups like this sure give me a mental picture of how it would be. Woman in my neighborhood rides a beautiful, custom painted Dyna and it catches my eye every time it goes down the street.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
way to go K9

I've never driven a Harley and write ups like this sure give me a mental picture of how it would be. Woman in my neighborhood rides a beautiful, custom painted Dyna and it catches my eye every time it goes down the street.
well there MN, 'bout time for you to ride one, but please don't drive it.:) every, most, some folks like to trash talk these scooters. mostly they just don't know any better. till they have one and spend some serious time with it. then form yor opinion. they'r different. they'r fun. they will make you smile. I never was a harley fan, dont care for the crowd. but I own and ride everything under the sun. then I broke down one day and got me one. now I'm wearin out my 5th. holy schmoly! these arent half as bad as folks make them out to be. actually they can be quite pleasant if you care to spend any quality time with one. quickies, one time rides don't qualify. every bike is different than the one you own and ride all the time. any new bike takes some time getting used to. when you do, then the true quality of the character begins to show. they'r not the same as our jap, brit, duetch and italian scooterama's. but they are fun as hell to run the pants off n tear up the asphalt. will put a smile on your face.:)

ps. fess up, is it the neighbor lady or is it that shiney thing 'tween her legs thats catchin yor eye?;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts