Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Feels like my bike is slipping. 40 or 50 mph if I give it throttle the engine revs and it feels like it slipping. It's in gear but it takes a while to gain speed. I was talked into using amsoil 20-50 synthetic oil last year. I switched back to factory recommended Bel Ray conventional oil. Anything I can do besides changing the clutch?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Only when cold, the longer I ride the worse it gets. Had a tough time keeping up with friends a few days ago.Going to put bout 1000minutes and change oil again and see how it is.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
If you can get bandit101's attention, I am not sure if later bikes suffered from weak clutch springs, or not.

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
I am unaware of any deficiency with clutch springs for that model. I can assure you that if you continue to ride it with it slipping you
will need a new set of clutch disc, and that still will not fix the problem.
Questions: Did the bike start slipping after you changed back to conventional oil?
You are saying that the longer you ride the worse it gets, is this only when you try to accelerate? If you come to a complete
stop and take off again, is it slipping in all gears, or only after you have gotten to 5th.
Has anyone ever been into the clutch before?

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Worse when hot? Then:

1. Remove cover from clutch master cylinder.
2. Peer down to the bottom and you will see two small holes.
3. With a piece of nylon bristle or copper wire, carefully run through and make sure holes are clear.
4. Now is a good time to flush and replace fluid in clutch and both braking systems. Your clutch is telling you this.

Post back with any questions.

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Worse when hot? Then:

1. Remove cover from clutch master cylinder.
2. Peer down to the bottom and you will see two small holes.
3. With a piece of nylon bristle or copper wire, carefully run through and make sure holes are clear.
4. Now is a good time to flush and replace fluid in clutch and both braking systems. Your clutch is telling you this.

Post back with any questions.

That is what I was also suspect of. Was waiting to hear answers
to my questions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for the info, the weekend I will check clutch master cylinder. 1st 2nd the bike pulls fine but if in 3-4-or 5 it will slip. The new oil I only have about 300 mi on. I'm going to put a few more miles on it and change oil and filter again. I was told to use Rotella T 15w40 ?? Any info on that. Now it's Lucas conventional 10w40. Before the oil change with the amsoil synthetic I had no problems.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Imo would do as sfair and bandit suggested,fluid change,would change oil back to 10 w40 full synthetic
I prefer valvoline,but that's another thread

1 - 12 of 12 Posts