Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow riders. I have a leak that is coming from the right, bottom mount damper. Is it possible to change the damper? I've included a picture of the mount/damper that it is leaking from. Could I simply replace it, or do I need a new radiator? Please advise. Thanks.

Automotive tire Wood Gas Tints and shades Glass

·
Super Moderator
2,582 Posts
The dampener isn't going to be the source of the leak, so replacing it won't help anything. The leak could be from the area the dampener covers, though. You really need to make sure the leak isn't somewhere above that point and trickling down to that point. It may not be the radiator leaking, it could be a loose hose, a leaking gasket around the thermostat, or some other place.

Start at the fill cap and work you way down until you find out where the leak starts. Then we can talk about how to fix it if you can't figure it out.

·
Super Moderator
5,821 Posts
Here is a link to an OEM parts supplier radiator section for reference of coolant connections. Clean the area real well and then run the bike to determine where the leak is originating from.
Also a link to download a factory service manual. See the cooling section.

2005 Kawasaki VULCAN 1600 CLASSIC (VN1600-A3) Radiator | Babbitts Kawasaki Partshouse

·
Registered
13 Posts
I literally just fixed the same on my 2006. The two posts that hold the radiator into the rubber boots had micro cracks all around where they meet the lower tank. A local radiator repair shop showed me as he pressure tested it. I had a local welder clean and run a bead around both posts, charged me $30 and I brought it back to the radiator shop for a second pressure test and it was all fixed. Radiator shop didn't want to charge me so I bought them coffee.

Cheers!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The dampener isn't going to be the source of the leak, so replacing it won't help anything. The leak could be from the area the dampener covers, though. You really need to make sure the leak isn't somewhere above that point and trickling down to that point. It may not be the radiator leaking, it could be a loose hose, a leaking gasket around the thermostat, or some other place.

Start at the fill cap and work you way down until you find out where the leak starts. Then we can talk about how to fix it if you can't figure it out.
Thanks!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts