Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,500 Posts
DFI fuse should be at or very close to battery voltage as the wire comes directly from the starter relay main fuse. Check that fuse , contacts and adjacent wiring for good connections.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Went back and rechecked it and DFI fuse is same as battery voltage.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Relay arrived today. After installation fuel pump didn't start when the key was turned and still losing 4v at the fuel pump connector compared to battery voltage.

·
Premium Member
1,500 Posts
With the DFI relay plugged in, meter negative lead connected to battery negative, switch on, check the voltage of the white w/red wire at the plug connecting to the relay. Not the fused lead but the one leaving the relay. Then check the voltage of the white wire going into the 15 amp fuse. Both of the measurements should be the same as battery voltage.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Relay White w/red 8v
Fuse white wire 12v
looking at the schematic in the Clymer manual and getting dizzy
Also, does it matter if I just have the tank sitting there and not bolted in?

·
Premium Member
1,500 Posts
No actually tank can be disconnected for the previous test. From the voltage drop you are seeing, either there is a very bad connection at the relay, or the internal contacts are bad, which is what I suspect. I would replace the relay. Must have full voltage at fuel pump.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
That is with the new OEM Kawi relay.
I'm going out and start checking all wire connections.
I did use electronic cleaner on some connectors and air compressor to blow them out as there is a lot of dust due to some dirt road riding in the past.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Cleaned up what I could reach and find. Checked the operation of the relay and it checks out.
Still bothers me that the headlight comes on when the key is turned instead of after the starter has been engaged as something has to control that action. The headlight relay is built into the junction box so I can't figure out how to check that out or even if it can draw enough voltage to affect the DFI relay action.
Something has to be bleeding off the voltage from the relay?

·
Premium Member
1,500 Posts
You are correct in that the headlight should not come on until the start button is pressed. You may have a problem with your junction box. Here is the test procedure.
IMGP0002.JPG
IMGP0003.JPG
IMGP0004.JPG

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Will do. I pulled all fuses in junction box except ignition and no changes in voltage.
I will check it out this afternoon.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Junction box checks out okay.
I have a question about the two wires that supply power to the connector on the tank for the fuel pump.
Shouldn't one have power and the other be a ground? I measure about 7volts on one and about 5 on the other when grounding to the battery. (unplugged from the tank connector.)

·
Premium Member
1,500 Posts
The white w/red should have battery voltage on it with the switch on. It comes directly from the DFI relay. The black w/yellow, (ground), goes to the igniter. It times out when the switch is turned on and remains open until the bike starts. This is why you only hear the pump run for a few seconds when you first turn the ignition switch on.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Gotcha.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Took the bike to an independent shop along with my notes on diagnosing done here.
He texted me today that he believes it's the ECU. His scanner should communicate with it and will not.
Is a problem ECU very common on these bikes?
A new ECU is around $900 and eBay has them priced all over the place.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Still working on this bike. Installed used ECU from eBay and now have spark but still having fuel problems. We were digging around to day and found the orange 'joint connector' and it looks like a terminal may have problems.
I believe this thing is just to join grounds?
What would cause the burn marks and how to diagnose?

·
Premium Member
1,500 Posts
I cannot place what that plug goes to. Can you show the wires on the other side of it? Definitely a bad connection in the one connection that has been arcing.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #38

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
It has an orange cap on the plug with terminals that go into it. It's located in front of the ECU towards the left side of the bike and it was covered with brittle electrical tape. As near as we can figure out reading the schematic. it's a "joint connector"?

21 - 40 of 44 Posts