Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rode to work this morning and other than the engine vibration that used to come and go now is constant.
Parked the bike at 7am, then went to start it at 3pm and it cranks but doesn't fire.
No spark. Didn't notice if fuel pump started when I turned key.
Trailered the bike home and checked again, no spark. No fuel pump start when key turned,
Finally found fuel pump fuse and it's just fine.
Is there a relay I can test? or anything I can test for that matter?

05 Nomad, Chucksters Air single side conversion, Cobra true duals exhaust, Cobra fuel programmer, about 40k miles

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Found and checked all the fuses and all are fine.
Curious about the headlight- it stays off until the starter is engaged and then comes on in normal operation.
Noticed that when I engage the starter, the headlight comes on as it should. I then shut off the switch and turn it back on and the headlight is on without engaging the starter. Engine still isn't starting.
Wondering if it could be the 'tip-over' switch even though it hasn't been tipped over.

·
Super Moderator
2,081 Posts
The headlight is activated when pushing the starter button. That is normal. As far as the headlight staying on after flicking the ignition switch on and off, I’d have to look into that. I do not feel it has anything to do with the no spark condition. The tip over switch is a magnetic switch that when the bike reaches a certain angle gets activated. Don’t think it is stuck because your bike still cranks. Do you hear the fuel pump prime? The FI light should go on when the key is turned but go off in a few seconds. If it stays on there are codes in the system. Did you check the spark at the plugs? Pull a spark plug wire, put a spark plug in it and ground the body of the plug to the engine’s cylinder. Crank and check for spark. Blue spark is strong, yellow is weak. Use a test light and check if the positive connections on both of the coils gets power when you turn on the key. Start with this stuff and then post what you found. We might have to move on to check the ignition switch and the IC igniter. I will check back tomorrow. Also consider it may be something to do with fuel programmer which I am not really familiar with. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the reply. Plugs are fine. No spark. Can't hear pump come on. FI light stays on. Digging around on Gadgets page found the ECU stores problem codes. Just found the terminal connector so tomorrow will put things back together enough to attempt to read those codes and check coils. If nothing else I'm getting the dust cleaned out of a few areas. Who would have thought one mile of gravel to the highway would get everything hidden so dirty. 😃

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the assist. Hauling hay so it'll probably be the weekend before I get back to it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found the yellow diagnosis jumper wire, put the battery back in and set the tank in place and grounded the jumper wire from the ECU. Turned on the ignition, set the mode to odometer and held the reset button until "FI" displayed and got no flashing lights to read a code. Not hearing the fuel pump come on so will try to find the DFI relay and check it out.
Still weird to have the headlight come on immediately upon turning the key instead of after the starter is engaged. Must be a relay controlling that too. I do have a a service manual in my computer but I'm kinda dense trying to figure out some of their diagrams and testing of relays.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
DFI relay tests out just fine. Cannot hear the fuel pump come on .
When I turn the ignition switch on, the FI lit come on. It stays on until I hit the starter when it goes out and come back on a second or so after releasing the starter. Both coils have power when ignition switch is on.

·
Super Moderator
2,081 Posts
The way the FI light is acting, am surprised there is no code. There is an issue with the FI system. Read the diagnostic procedures in the manual for the fuel pump. Have to find out what is up with the fuel pump first. Did you perform the test on the DFI relay as outlined in the repair manual? Get back to us.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Removed the DFI relay and tested as per the manual and then plugged it in and I could feel it 'click' when the key was turned on.
Will check out the diagnostic procedures in the manual for the fuel pump.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hooked a tube to the pump outlet into a container and got no fuel when turning the ignition key on. Using the sharp pins on the fuel pump connector got .003 volts instead of battery voltage when turning on the key..

·
Registered
'05 800B
1,423 Posts
when turning the key on and cranking over the engine the headlight will not turn on, until the motor starts, that function is controlled by the relay that i think is found under your seat near the battery box, there's no fix for your headlight delay in coming on, it's normal feature on all vulcans

·
Premium Member
1,506 Posts
Connect your meter negative to the battery negative terminal, connect the positive lead to the white w/red at the fuel pump connector, turn switch on and read voltage.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
when turning the key on and cranking over the engine the headlight will not turn on, until the motor starts, that function is controlled by the relay that i think is found under your seat near the battery box, there's no fix for your headlight delay in coming on, it's normal feature on all vulcans
Yup, but right now with no fuel pressure or spark, the headlight comes on with the ignition switch.
hoping that might point to a problem relay somewhere.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Connect your meter negative to the battery negative terminal, connect the positive lead to the white w/red at the fuel pump connector, turn switch on and read voltage.
Ran test across the two wires going to the pump and turned on the key and no voltage registered.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Premium Member
1,506 Posts
OK, you should see battery voltage, so there is a voltage drop somewhere. Remove and test the DFI fuse and inspect for any terminal corrosion. Do a voltage check on both sides of the fuse. If you are still seeing low voltage, you will have to replace the DFI relay. Another test while you are there is for the fuel pump. You can make up jumpers and connect directly to the battery and connect to the small pins where you unplugged the fuel pump. Battery negative to the black w/yellow, positive to the white w/red. If pump runs you know it is good.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Voltage check okayed the DFI fuse although not at battery voltage. Voltage check not okay on DFI relay so have one on order.
Fuel pump runs fine.
(I sure do appreciate the help)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts