Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
To correct the title, i found out this is actually a 2002.

Photo bucket gallery here: http://s1313.photobucket.com/user/joshackley/library/vulcan 500

I'm attempting to resurrect a 500 that I rescued and will also be attempting to chronicle my adventures as well. This is now a 3 owner bike, with a little less than 8500 original miles on it. This bike belonged to my mother, and anow unrelated accident left her unable to ride. After sitting outside uncovered, under a tree for about the last two years, she decided something needed to be done about it. So I picked it up and brought it home, my first trailering experience, 3 hours away. She's got some issues from not being maintained and cared for, along with the obvious. Original keys were lost, replacement key was made by a lock smith. Would like to get good set made if I can figure out how.

Observations. Most anything rubber needs attention. Front and rear turn signals have fallen apart
Cables, hoses have deteriorated
Brakes need to be replaced
Tank needs to be drained (3/4 full) and cleaned
Carb needs to be rebuilt
Liquids needs to be changed
Fork seals and bushing need to be checked
Tires and tubes need to be checked
Valve clearance need to be checked and adjusted
Battery needs to be replaced
Windshield has piece missing and will need to be replaced
Throttle cable holder above the carb needs to be replaced to hold throttle cable
Need new set of keys. Anywhere you can put one is frozen up. Had to spray a liberal amount of lubricant into the lock to get it to move.
Fenders and tank have faded and oxidized, may need buffing or stripping and repainting.
Exhaust is rusted, mufflers need replaced (too loud), may deal with the rust and wrap the pipes or replace headers.
Saddlebags need replacing
And probably some more I'm forgetting haha.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Good on ya to take on a project like this. I hate seeing a fine machine sitting outside being neglected.

I may have a few odds & end parts if you need 'em. The carb part and turn signals (rear) come to mind. Maybe even a set of 'well used' saddlebags. Oh, and mufflers.

And Pictures!! We need Pictures.!!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good on ya to take on a project like this. I hate seeing a fine machine sitting outside being neglected.

I may have a few odds & end parts if you need 'em. The carb part and turn signals (rear) come to mind. Maybe even a set of 'well used' saddlebags. Oh, and mufflers.

And Pictures!! We need Pictures.!!
Bill you are much admired. Like others I can only dream of putting as many miles and as much work into this machine of mine. I will most likely need the extra parts! The turn signals for sure before I ride, perhaps the mufflers before I start it! :grin2:

You were quick on the draw for me, you'll now find the pictures above haha.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Something I've been thinking about. Exhaust is not stock. Not sure if intake is or not. How can I tell if internal carb parts are stock? If I take them back to stock or change them, is there an ecm to flash or tune? How is this bike tuned other than adjusting carbs or "rejetting" (not entirely read up on rejetting)?

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Something I've been thinking about. Exhaust is not stock. Not sure if intake is or not. How can I tell if internal carb parts are stock? If I take them back to stock or change them, is there an ecm to flash or tune? How is this bike tuned other than adjusting carbs or "rejetting" (not entirely read up on rejetting)?
Changing the mufflers should not require any change to the carbs. Jet sizes are: Main- 102 Pilot- 35
The airbox is all that is required on the intake side. There is a 'snorkel' in the inlet hole at the top of the airbox that MUST be in place to work!
The only electronic part on the bike is the Ignition box (Also called Ignitor) located below the battery in front of the rear tire.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Changing the mufflers should not require any change to the carbs. Jet sizes are: Main- 102 Pilot- 35
The airbox is all that is required on the intake side. There is a 'snorkel' in the inlet hole at the top of the airbox that MUST be in place to work!
The only electronic part on the bike is the Ignition box (Also called Ignitor) located below the battery in front of the rear tire.
How do you tell what size the Jets are? I am sure my mother didn't change then, but I'm not sure what the PO did. I'll look for that snorkel in the airbox when I get a chance. I'm glad that the Ignition is the only electronics. Makes things much easier for a first timer. I've seen the Ignition box.

Top priority at the moment is getting it drained, tore down, and cleaned up. Bad weather today, don't think I'll get a chance to work on it.

Another question, can I go to the local parts store, and buy hose in bulk to replace vacuum and fuel hoses?

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
How do you tell what size the Jets are? I am sure my mother didn't change then, but I'm not sure what the PO did.
There is a number stamped onto the jet itself. Unless someone has enlarged it that is what you should go on.

Another question, can I go to the local parts store, and buy hose in bulk to replace vacuum and fuel hoses?
Yes, standard bulk hoses should work for most applications. If the original hose has a pre-formed bend in it then you might have to go with OEM hoses.

Some people like to put an inline fuel filter between the tank and carbs when the tank contents are questionable. If you go this route make sure that the filter is large enough. SoH had a small filter that clogged with regularity. Putting a larger filter solved that issue.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is a number stamped onto the jet itself. Unless someone has enlarged it that is what you should go on.

Yes, standard bulk hoses should work for most applications. If the original hose has a pre-formed bend in it then you might have to go with OEM hoses.
Great, thanks!

Some people like to put an inline fuel filter between the tank and carbs when the tank contents are questionable. If you go this route make sure that the filter is large enough. SoH had a small filter that clogged with regularity. Putting a larger filter solved that issue.
A larger filter is a good idea if I start running into problems. I was thinking that since it's been sitting for so long, I am going to drain the tank, and try to rinse it out.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Putting together a list of tools and parts needed, and trying to get a plan together. Nothing else matters until I can get it cranked.
So I figure I will drain, rinse, dry and refill tank.
Pull carb and clean and soak.
Pull plugs and replace.
Replace hoses.
Change oil and filter.
Change air filter.
Replace battery.
Drain, flush and replace coolant.

Then try to start. What else should I do before trying to start it?
Also, should I be able to continually turn the key in the ignition, or should it only turn between off, on, and park?
Long list of things after it's running, but have to start somewhere.

Edit: thread edited, I was told this was an 04, but after searching kawasaki website by Vin, it returns a model year 2002 back. Frame date of manufacture confirms model year 2002. After many many phone calls, Kawasaki dealer looked up bike by Vin, no key code entered. Stuck making copies of this key for now. To switch all locks is 267 plus tax.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Found a locksmith who says he can with certainty take a picture of the key, decode it, and find the key code, then cut a new key. However, he isn't the most personable, and I'm not entirely sure I want to do business with him. Any how, I ordered a bike lift, key ring, and the original tools and toolbag. My in laws are in the process of moving into their new house, and we've been helping them paint and such, so no time yet to do anything. Hopefully soon! In the mean time, gathering parts, tools, etc.

Edit: ordered a cheap set of torque wrenches. Figured I should do things right. Got a set of 3, that should cover all my needs, for $57 on amazon.

This is the keyring I bought. An homage to my mother, a helicopter crew chief, door gunner, and mechanic in the Army.

Also, bit the bullet so to speak, and ordered 2 keys from the aforementioned locksmith, via sending picture, him supposedly decoding the key, getting the key code, and cutting new. Should be here Saturday, we'll see how they work.

Attachments

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
So, got my scissor jack, and my key chain today. Also found a can of Chem dip at Walmart for $20, and ordered a battery. After its filled with acid and charged, the dealer is supposed to call me to come get it. The keys i ordered should be here tomorrow, so we'll see how they work out. In laws almost completely moved in, hoping to get some time this weekend to at least get the tank off, and get the carbs off. Any advice?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
So, got my scissor jack, and my key chain today. Also found a can of Chem dip at Walmart for $20, and ordered a battery. After its filled with acid and charged, the dealer is supposed to call me to come get it. The keys i ordered should be here tomorrow, so we'll see how they work out. In laws almost completely moved in, hoping to get some time this weekend to at least get the tank off, and get the carbs off. Any advice?
When doing the carbs....Do one at a time to not to get parts mixed up.......Don't remove them from the rack. :)

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
When doing the carbs....Do one at a time to not to get parts mixed up.......Don't remove them from the rack.
What do you mean by the rack? Taking apart one at a time makes sense. I'm also going to try to take pictures as I do it. Also any suggestions for taking everything off, keeping stuff from flash rusting, etc, tools, supplies, appreciated.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got some goodies today in the mail. Original toolkit with all the tools, including some piece of rubber strip I have no idea about (under pliers), and my two keys. I also went to the local store and picked up some aerosol carb cleaner, penetrating oil, 0000 steel wool, small funnel, locate, anti seize, brush and some other odds and ends. I wasn't too sure about the keys, but they actually fit great, and he also provided me with the key code.

Attachments

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Family pictures this evening, so only got a few moments, but managed to take off the tank, and get a look underneath. Thanks to biker bill I located the nuts for the throttle cable, and where they need to be. Also took off the windshield for now, but left part of the mounts on it.

I decided not to drain the tank yet. Since work on it will be sporadic, I don't want to risk flash rusting, and the tank actually looked amazing from what I could see.

What are the two hoses on the right side of the tank? I was expecting the two on the petcock, these two took me by surprise. Looks like where they go need to be cleaned. Not a picture of that, but saw dirt in the holes.

Here's a link to my photo bucket: http://s1313.photobucket.com/user/joshackley/library/vulcan 500

Attachments

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Managed to pull the carb out today, get a good look at the outside, hit it with some carb cleaner to get some of the crap off, and open up the float bowl assembly on both sides. I was hopeful after seeing how shiny the metal inside the tank still was. Not so much now. One of the carbs was rebuilt with red rtv in addition to the gasket, which broke down inside the carb and turned to slime. Looks like I'll be making good use of my can of Chem dip for all the solid pieces. This is just the beginning. The ocd in me necessitates that I tear it down completely and fully clean it. I have a feeling I'll be doing this for the whole bike.

Also, can someone tell me where the rubber bushing in the first picture gallery goes? I just found it sitting on top.

More pictures in the photo bucket gallery.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
OUCH!! That is N-A-S-T-Y NASTY!! When I was working as an engine tech I would tell people that RTV works in many places, but it does not play well with fuel!

That rubber bumper goes under the fuel tank just in front of the rear attaching bolt.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OUCH!! That is N-A-S-T-Y NASTY!! When I was working as an engine tech I would tell people that RTV works in many places, but it does not play well with fuel!

That rubber bumper goes under the fuel tank just in front of the rear attaching bolt.
I questioned mom about it, she said they had asked someone to rebuild it, and that's what they got back, probably trying to make a little extra money by reusing the gaskets.

I thought that's where that little sucker goes but wasn't sure. That'll be fun getting back in haha!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Got that little turd in there with some persuasion, a flat head, and some oil lol.

Ordered carb kits today, won't be in for a few days. Also bought Oil and filter. In the meantime, pulled the vacuum piston and the needle, cleaned everything up, cleaned the gasket surfaces. First and second picture is the before.

Also pulled the float assembly out again to finish cleaning, and pull the jets out. I had to take a dremel to one of my screwdrivers, didn't have a single one that would fit. The jet that's down in the carb slightly to the right took some persuasion, I'm hoping I didn't mess the top up too bad. Forgot to take a picture. Also, the little barrell thing under the jet wouldn't come out.

And last picture is a shot of the float assembly cap after cleaning.

Now to figure out what to do until I can rebuild carbs. Any suggestions?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 144 Posts