Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posting for a friend...
he has a 04 1600 classic with about 35k miles on it, he found out he was extremely low on oil, like 3 quarts were gone. so he filled it with full synthetic back to capacity and started riding around no problem.
We left from my house later that day and got less than a mile down the road and his bike just shut off. tried to engage the starter all only received a single click upon engagement.

tried to bump start it by coasting down a hill, in first, droped the clutch in and rapidly brought the bike to a stop. tried turning the crank manually with a breaker bar and only loosened the nut.

sounds like the motor seized to me...

How much and where can he get rebuild kit, and would it be worth it..

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
These engines are very expensive to rebuild, especially if you need machine work. Cranks cannot be turned (except for rod bearings), and main bearings are non replaceable. Before I spent one dime, I would get the engine out and tear it down to find exactly what the problem is. Many times it is more practical to replace the engine than rebuild.

·
Banned
179 Posts
Yes a used engine from a place like http://pinwallcycle.com/ or any other salvage company is your best bet if you find out it has spun a bearing or busted up the transmission. You will have more into the new parts then the engine can be bought for used. Now if it is just a stuck gear that can be fixed easy then go for the fix. Most times though you will find if you do not rebuild the whole thing something else will let go after the first fix.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts