Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any help opinions would be greatly appreciated. I have an 04 vulcan 1600 classic that I bought used this year with about 41k on it. It has been running flawless the first 1200 miles, now its whining on decel. Its very loud, and sounds like a fire engine siren winding down. In conjunction with this my last trip with it, when the whining was starting, I lost my slave cylinder. Managed to get the bike home and it developed an oil leak from the cover over the bevel gear. What I'm wondering is if my bevel gear bearing is going, causing things to overheat in that area thus failing, slave cylinder seal, oil seal on the cover. There is no play in the bevel gear end I tried to move it before I even knew what it was called. Basically looking for ideas before I spend hours changing the wrong parts.

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
Yes, you have described all the characteristics of the common bevel gear failure. Consequently it is not the gears that fail but the driven gear shaft bearing that is usually at fault. Have done numerous repairs on these and that has always been the culprit. If it is allowed to continue, it can destroy the gears as well as the cover.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wonderful, are there any special tools required to replaced it? I really don't want to drop $1200 more dollars into this bike... But will if I have to I guess.

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
The simplest way to repair it is find a complete bevel gear unit from a salvage bike, but they are hard to come by. Must be from a 5 speed and have the electronic speedometer. If you decide to make the repairs yourself you will need an impact wrench to disassemble the unit. Unless you are familiar with setting up a gear pattern, I would recommend removing the unit and taking it to a shop that is capable of doing the work.

Does not require complete engine removal, but close, due to getting the yoke off the output spline shaft.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts