Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found an 04 1500 Classic for $4800 with 11000 miles. Seems like a good deal to me. Very clean. Carbed, no fuel injection about the only negative. Any thoughts/comments welcome.

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
I found an 04 1500 Classic for $4800 with 11000 miles. Seems like a good deal to me. Very clean. Carbed, no fuel injection about the only negative. Any thoughts/comments welcome.
I have an '04 1500 carbed and it's been great. I put straight pipes, jet kit, big air kit, etc on it and it runs and sounds great. That seems like a fair price. These bikes are bulletproof. I bought mine new and have almost 40k miles on it, all trouble free.

The only time the carb has been an issue is in really high altitudes; I went over a pass in Wyoming that was 10,000 feet and it burned a little rich. All in all, I keep it set for around 2500-3500 feet, which is normal for where I live.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I live in the mile high city and ride the rockies quite a bit. My KLR and dirt bikes all have carbs and are jetted for the altitude. The Vulcan has Vance & Hines pipes. Just wondering if I should go for fuel injection.

·
Banned
1,493 Posts
my 04 1500 is carb'd but if you can get a fuel injection bike that would be better than carb, my bike is always cold and always have to use the choke when starting, I gutted my plumbing tubes rejetted new airbox and new jets cobra dragster pipes thunder airbox I spent a lot of money getting it to run right but a fuel injection is a lot less work, I think the 04 1500 is the last year Kawasaki made them with a carb

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah that's what I was thinking, pay a little more and go with fuel injection. If I didn't live and ride at high altitudes I'd probably go with the carb.

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
FI has it's advantages, but it's not without problems, either. Last summer I went on a 5 day trip with two guys who ride FI Harleys and both complained about their performance, acceleration and pinging. When set up right, FI probably has the edge, but I like being able to adjust my own fuel/air mix. Yeah, it has to warm up for five minutes in the morning, but other than that, no problem!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't mind carbs and they're easy to work on, it's just that I live at semi-high altitude and ride at high altitude, and I don't want to have to re-jet. But also, I won't be riding at high altitudes everyday either. And I like the price. The next comparable bike with fuel injection is $800 more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts