Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I have had the gas like smell coming from my bike when it’s running. And I’ve done a little research and what I’ve found is that my bike is probably running rich. Since it is fuel injected I don’t quite know how to remedy this problem. I do have aftermarket exhaust on it but that’s it, as far as I know everything else is stock. How can I fix this running Rich on my fuel injected bike? Any tips?

·
Registered
'05 800B
2,125 Posts
i think for FI bikes you buy a fuel management control device, i think its called fuel processor, you plug that into the wire connection on your bike and you program the fuel map pots, its numerical numbers, this new fuel processor unit manages your fuel intake, there are some fuel processors that can just add fuel and some that can add and subtract, not sure how they work, i think you hook up the processor first to a laptop computer, adjust the pot numbers then plug the processor into your bike

·
Registered
415 Posts
I wouldn't go by smell. Better to take a look at the plugs. If it is running 'rich', that's an indication one (or more) of the sensors is malfunctioning or the wires connecting the sensors are faulty or have dirty connections.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wouldn't go by smell. Better to take a look at the plugs. If it is running 'rich', that's an indication one (or more) of the sensors is malfunctioning or the wires connecting the sensors are faulty or have dirty connections.
I’m a little new to motorcycles mechanics/maintenance so when you say sensors, what sensor are you talking about?

·
Registered
'05 800B
2,125 Posts
FI bikes have sensors that send signals to the electronic fuel controller that manages when and how much fuel is delivered, carb bikes don't have these sensor, which i think on FI bike is at the exhaust, the air intake and the throttle

·
Registered
415 Posts
There are a couple of pressure and temperature, and throttle position sensors which the ECU 'reads' in order to set the proper mixture for any given 'condition'. Within limits, the ECU 'tests' the sensors to ensure they're working (ECU uses this to display a fault code) but the ECU has no way of determining if the sensor is 'working' yet providing an incorrect 'measurement' (which could be caused by the sensor itself being faulty or a wiring/connection/corrosion issue).

·
Registered
'05 800B
2,125 Posts
my bike is carb with no sensors, but I found this on youtube for you, it looks like he is checking the codes using an adapter and a scanner from ebay

·
Registered
415 Posts
but I found this on youtube for you, it looks like he is checking the codes using an adapter and a scanner
Scanner not required as the ECU provides the codes. In any case, there won't be any codes if the problem is wiring/corrosion or just a wanky sensor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts