Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Rear suspension** 1997

956 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  btom 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I am having some issues with bottoming out. I just got the bike up on a jack and took the tire off to get a clear look at my shock, with that said my shock was already adjusted to the number "6" position so i moved it to number "7".

I read on a previous thread that people have moved there shock to the "4" position and was able to ride with a passenger and not bottom out. total weight of around 260 pounds. im 180 on a good day.

Do I need a new shock? is there a way to fix the old one? anyone on here selling one or know where I can get a decently new one?

#2 ·
I'm curious to know the answer, too.
Actually, for now I just need to know HOW to adjust the shock and try that before I go replacing it.
My '97 vn800a seems to bottom out or gets close to it with me and my wife on it. Total we're about 380 and I'd like to step up the shock dampening a bit more.

#3 ·
so I went looking at my maintenance records to find what position I set my shock at a few months ago, and I can't find any record of what I did, so going to go by my memory, I think I had set mine on the #4 position, I'm 5'6 and 162 lbs no passenger, so I would suggest you set yours on #7. I removed my shock to change the setting but you can use a long heavy screwdriver or chisel and hammer from the right side, you will need to remove the right side cover and storage box to get at it, I tried using a heavy-duty screwdriver and also a chisel and noticed I was denting in the turn dial tabs on the shock doing that so I stopped and then I removed the shock completely to adjust it, did a bit of greasing and cleanup when I had it removed and also removed the swing arm and cleaned that up and greased the pivot rod bearings a bit. Set yours on #7

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.