Product reviews: TomTom Rider & Tiregard TPMS - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Product reviews: TomTom Rider & Tiregard TPMS

Confession: I like gadgets. If I could have a bucket seat, air conditioning and almost any other gadget on my bike Iíd have it. Iím not the purist type who likes a stripped down engine with a frame and wheels. So, here are product evaluations for two items Iíve purchased the last few months.

TomTom Rider Ė My hated Garmin Zumo 550 finally died. The GPS functionality worked well and the screen was nice and bright, but Ö It had Bluetooth functionality that was supposed to connect to my headset and my phone. That was supposed to allow me to use the GPS to see who was calling or to allow me to make calls. However, none of the 5 Verizon phones I had while I owned the Garmin worked properly with it. My last phone is an iPhone 5, and I thought surely the single best selling phone would be compatible. However, I was told not only that it wasnít compatible, it never would be! It is also not listed as compatible with any of their Zumos. Multiple phone calls and emails with Garmin got me nowhere.

I replaced it with the newest TomTom Rider. Itís really not fair to compare it to the Zumo 550 since they were designed 5 or more years apart, but itís my only comparison point. Plus, even the newest Zumo is not compatible with the iPhone. Also, the TomTom was $400 (ordered through Target) and the newest Zumos are between $650 and $800.

The TomTom works very well and seems to be well made. I donít think the screen is as bright as the Zumo, but their software allows you to adjust the color schemes. Once I adjusted a high-contrast scheme the screen is plenty visible. Feature for feature, I like the TomTom. Some items are easier than the Zumo to find (such as switching from a 3D view to an overhead view), and some are harder, such as seeing that the phone and headset are both connected. It automatically zooms in and out depending on your road situation. You can zoom in and out manually, but after a few minutes it re-selects its own zoom level. It actually works quite well.

The Zumo had a built in MP3 player (which I donít need on the Voyager) that is absent on the TomTom. The Zumo allows you to keep a bread crumb trail and itís missing on the TomTom, however, the TomTom allows you to easily record routes and publish them. The TomTom rider offers an anti-theft kit for about $100 more, but lacks the security set-screw that was standard on the Zumo 550. The Zumo allows a North-up view which is curiously missing on the TomTom, but there is a North pointer that is always displayed on the TomTom. Finally, the TomTom has a neat feature where you can organize icons you use most frequently in an easy-to-find quick menu. The Zumo had a mileage counter you could set to warn you when your gas tank should be getting low, but I donít need that on the Voyager since Iíve got a fuel guage.

The good news is that the Bluetooth functionality works perfectly. No issues with the iPhone 5 or the Cardo headset. For me, this was an important feature and made me decide Iíd made a good choice.

Big Bike Parts Handlebar Mounted TPMS Ė Getting to the rear air valve on the Voyager is a real pain given the saddlebags which block a lot of the access to the rear tire. You have to roll the bike to where the valve is on the bottom, and that is trial and error. Maybe Iím a weak old man, but pushing a 900 lb. bike around is not something I enjoy. I've got a leg stiffness issue which requires me to get on my back on the ground to reach the valve. I usually end up put the bike on my jack.

The TMPS consists of an attractive, compact handlebar-mounted battery-powered display, which receives signals from sensors that mount on the air valves. The sensors are light enough you donít have to re-balance the tires. You can set high and low pressure alarm limits as well as tire temperature alarm limits. You can select English or metric units. Took me about 20 minutes to install the whole package. The sensor batteries are expected to last about a year and the display unitís AAA battery should last around 6 months. I had trouble with one of the sensors, but the customer service department at Big Bike Parts was extremely helpful.

The system works beautifully. The sensors only transmit when the tires are spinning, and the display unit shuts itself off when it stops receiving signals. The sensors transmit every time the air pressure changes by 0.5 lbs or more. When any pressure or temperature is outside of the set points, the display flashes a red LED. Although the display is not backlit, there is a backlighting button that will light the unit for several seconds, and the alarm LED is visible at night.

I wish the display unit was waterproof (the tire sensors are, and there is an awful silicone cover for the display to increase water resistance), and I wish it could be locked to the bike so I wouldnít have to remove it each time I park. Itís easy enough to snap on and off, but Iím lazy.

Overall, great purchase. I only have to manually check air pressure when the TPMS tells me itís low. I havenít quite determined why I need to know tire temperature, but itís there in case I ever figure it out.

Dale

2010 Vulcan Voyager /Ooops - I totaled it!/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 05:05 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
The TPMS looks cool! Been thinking about something similar for my bike. I check my tires often, but sometimes they don't need adjusting so I feel like I just wasted 3 seconds bending over to check them! LOL.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 06:33 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
My 82 Sabre had a Stop Watch built into the left switch box that had to be started and stopped by your thumb. Was never dexterous or clever enough to use it.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 09:27 AM

TPMS Caution!

Good write up - Thanks!

I do have one thing to add on the TPMS: if you are considering an aftermarket system there is a ďgotchaĒ to be aware of. These aftermarket systems require metal valve stems because the centrifugal force on the sending units will shear off rubber ones.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

According to the instructions, you only have to replace to the rubber ones with a metal one if they are L shaped, not the straight ones. However, I replaced the one on my front wheel with a metal L shaped valve stem for convenience.

The housing cracked on the sensor - turns out it barely touched a component in the disk brakes at high speed. Fortunately, I was able to slightly twist the valve stem to the side without starting a leak, and I have the clearance I need.

Dale

2010 Vulcan Voyager /Ooops - I totaled it!/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode