Armour jackets Thoughts - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Armour jackets Thoughts

Anybody wear this as an alternative on those hot days .The ones that have the hard armour attached to a mesh used in Moto x but apparently can be worn on road.Henry Cole (Greatest motorcycle journeys) sometimes wears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 06:56 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
A pic or link would be helpful here . . .

Personally, for the past four years, I having been wearing a Tourmaster Coaster Air II perforated leather jacket with armor in all weather - It has been worn from 18 degrees (with appropriate layering beneath and a vest to cover a lot of the perforations over it) to 120 degrees - My T-Shirt was just as wet as the guys crossing the desert with no jacket that day - but I was better protected in the event I heat stroked out . . .

The perforations on this jacket are very small, and sometimes clog up when I treat the jacket with Mink Oil. I have seen a Harley perforated leather jacket with huge - about 1/4 inch - perforations - but that thing probably cost about three times what my Tourmaster cost me . . .

If this has nothing to do with your OP - sorry - A pic or link will put this back on track . . .

Here is a link for my Jacket:

http://www.motosport.com/motorcycle/...FQyg4AodKTQAtg

2011 Voyager ABS

Thunder Air Kit
Cobra Tri Ovals/PowerPro
Wrapped Headers
CB/Rear Speakers
SageBrush Designs Tank Bib
Kury TourTech Mounts
Chrome Psgr board bottoms
14" Rifle Windshield
WOLO horn
Russell Day Long seat w/backrest
Kury T/S mirrors
Avon grips w/Throttle Magic by RacnRay
Kury Phase 6 LED Headlight & spotlights

Ride Bells by Sabrehood brothers MinatourAce and Outlaw

Blue Knights VA II
Ride With Pride
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 08:09 AM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Kawasaki Vaquero
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Red
I use the Bohn Armor shirt, perhaps that is what you are talking about. I love it, flows air like crazy, great for extremely hot weather. Only issue I have is getting it off when I'm really hot, as it wants to stick to my sweaty skin. Not a big deal though. If it gets chilly, I wear a long sleeve shirt under it. I go from this right to my leather riding jacket at the next temperature drop.

Jerry "Old Bear" Barker
Clarksville, TN
Americas Guardians PS MC
Tennessee 16-A Chapter
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 09:37 AM
Top Contributor

I tried one once, it was still too hot for me (I live down south) and haven't worn it since. Course if I go down at high speeds I will be oozing painful goo for weeks and have lizard skin grafts the rest of my life (if I live).

But more pertinent an answer to your question, I know folks that have gone down with those mesh armor jackets. At less than 45 mph they held together enough to keep the magnitude of road burn down. The ones traveling at higher rates of speed said the jacket came apart before they stopped sliding.

Examine it carefully before you spend much money on it.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 08:43 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Even if the jacket comes apart before you stop sliding - I would rather the jacket take the initial hit and absorb as much energy as it can before my skin has too. I went down with mine on - albeit - in the grass at about 30 when I was run off the road - my upper body was fine . . .

2011 Voyager ABS

Thunder Air Kit
Cobra Tri Ovals/PowerPro
Wrapped Headers
CB/Rear Speakers
SageBrush Designs Tank Bib
Kury TourTech Mounts
Chrome Psgr board bottoms
14" Rifle Windshield
WOLO horn
Russell Day Long seat w/backrest
Kury T/S mirrors
Avon grips w/Throttle Magic by RacnRay
Kury Phase 6 LED Headlight & spotlights

Ride Bells by Sabrehood brothers MinatourAce and Outlaw

Blue Knights VA II
Ride With Pride
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 01:21 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_W_B View Post
I tried one once, it was still too hot for me (I live down south) and haven't worn it since. Course if I go down at high speeds I will be oozing painful goo for weeks and have lizard skin grafts the rest of my life (if I live).

But more pertinent an answer to your question, I know folks that have gone down with those mesh armor jackets. At less than 45 mph they held together enough to keep the magnitude of road burn down. The ones traveling at higher rates of speed said the jacket came apart before they stopped sliding.

Examine it carefully before you spend much money on it.
I went down on I95 wearing a Joe Rocket mesh jacket w/ armor when an 18 wheeler decided it needed to be where I was, RIGHT NOW.

I'm a huge fan of them. If safety gear is your thing, you could do worse. The only road rash I had after the event was a quarter sized mark on my hip where the jacket hiked up a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode