FF Helmets & Wind Resistance - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 03:58 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

FF Helmets & Wind Resistance

On a 900 without windshield my helmet starts to ride up at the front when 70mph +. It is bloody annoying. The normal fit is snug & it doesn't wobble on my head so I don't think it is too big. Brand is XSpeed (fairly cheap compared to most).
Is this a common thing with FF helmets & cruisers because of the riding position or should I maybe look at a new helmet from another brand?
Wind noise is also pretty high so maybe that's another reason to change over.

2008 VN900 Vulcan Classic
2014 Triumph Thunderbird LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 05:40 AM

I have some what the same issue with mine and it kind of makes my neck hurt so I dont even wear it anymore but yes I do think it is a some what common issue

2009 Vulcan Custom SE
Invicta Harley Fairing
Led Turn Signals
Saddlemen Seat
Lowered 2"
Heated Grips
Britt Drag Pipes
HID Headlight
White LED UnderGlow
Knock Off ISO Grips
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 06:58 AM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Kawasaki Vaquero
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Red
Never been an issue with me. A properly designed and fitted full face helmet should cut through the air with little turbulence, and certainly shouldn't be riding up. My current helmet is also quieter than my last one, which still wasn't bad. I'm currently using a Shoei Neotec which is a modular design.

Jerry "Old Bear" Barker
Clarksville, TN
Americas Guardians PS MC
Tennessee 16-A Chapter
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 07:09 AM
Top Contributor

According to Revzilla's videos about helmets, that some are made for different riding positions. I have an AFX-90 (another cheaper one) and I do not have that problem. With the old M2R (MR-25) helmet I had, I did and that is what made me start wearing my skid lid all the time. I find the videos interesting on their site, they go in to the different shapes of the inside and outside of the helmet, show you how to take them apart and so on.

1985 Honda Nighthawk 650 (First Bike)
2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic (First Big Bike)
2007 Vulcan 1600 Meanstreak (Love Affair)
1999 Yamaha 1100 V-Star Custom (Right Price at the Time)
2008 V2K Classic (Favorite Vulcan)
2014 HD Ultra Limited (Bells and Whistles)
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 08:54 AM
Top Contributor

The helmet should not ride up at those speeds if fit and type are correct.

My helmet is a bell revolver and in my opinion, amplifies noise. It works well at high speeds but requires ear plugs. I don't need plugs with my open face and with debaffled pipes and wind noise. Seems the ff focuses noises toward the ears. It's crazy!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 09:25 AM
Top Contributor

My Grandson has a similar thing happen when he rides our KZ650C3 that doesn't happen on our Hayabusa. It may be related to the riders head position relative to the bike aerodynamics.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 09:32 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
I don't ride without a windshield anymore but I have. I've also ridden other non-windshield cruisers at highway speeds and not had that issue.

A couple of things;

1) Fit. A lot of people get this wrong. It needs to be snug. When you turn the helmet left and right, it should take your cheeks with it! Not so tight that it cuts off circulation, but if it's able to 'slide around' without pulling on your skin; it's too lose. Also; there are different helmet shapes as well as sizes. If there are gaps or pressure spots; you need a different brand.

2) Brand. Different brands are meant for different types of riding. You may have to try on some different ones! Not buy online; but try on.

3) Windshield! For the cost of another helmet, a Windshield may very well cure your issues. I won't ride without one anymore! Really increases comfort on a long ride.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 09:50 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
I don't ride without a windshield anymore but I have. I've also ridden other non-windshield cruisers at highway speeds and not had that issue.

A couple of things;

1) Fit. A lot of people get this wrong. It needs to be snug. When you turn the helmet left and right, it should take your cheeks with it! Not so tight that it cuts off circulation, but if it's able to 'slide around' without pulling on your skin; it's too lose. Also; there are different helmet shapes as well as sizes. If there are gaps or pressure spots; you need a different brand.

2) Brand. Different brands are meant for different types of riding. You may have to try on some different ones! Not buy online; but try on.

3) Windshield! For the cost of another helmet, a Windshield may very well cure your issues. I won't ride without one anymore! Really increases comfort on a long ride.
All so true. And I ended up with lowers to stop the final bit of buffeting that the windshield didn't quite cure. I also wear a revolver and I think the little extra forward weight helps when I get on the 650 or the Busa. My 800 is now so wind free that I put a Honda Gold Wing Air vent in my Memphis Shades windscreen for those really hot days. It's actually a 4 position vent with the positions 2,3 & 4 directing air back to me whereas position 1 never shuts off the air but directs a limited amount up the back side of the windshield which I believe also stops some of the buffeting air coming over the top of the windscreen. (I got the idea from another person on here!)

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 10:11 AM
Top Contributor

But on the other side of things, like bear said, if you add a windshield you may have to add lowers on top of it. Right now I have been wearing a half helmet with my windshield and FF with out. I need to try a set of lowers because I gut such and updraft from under the windshield it blows up my FF helmet and causes problems at speeds of around 40 and up.

1985 Honda Nighthawk 650 (First Bike)
2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic (First Big Bike)
2007 Vulcan 1600 Meanstreak (Love Affair)
1999 Yamaha 1100 V-Star Custom (Right Price at the Time)
2008 V2K Classic (Favorite Vulcan)
2014 HD Ultra Limited (Bells and Whistles)
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 10:43 AM

Garage
One thing you can try which helped me also see the speedo more with my FF.

Tilt the helmet forward so the upper part of the visor is just above your eyebrows. This moves the chin of the helmet down and helps with highway speeds when I wear mine.

2011 Custom SE
current mods:
BK ISO grips w/TB
BK ISO Dually pegs
blacked-out signal/tail housings
clear lenses w/LED lights
fully debaffled exhaust
Batwing(MS) w/ 9" spoiler shield
Saddleman solo
hard bags (Mutazu MU)
230 rear tire, 90/90 front
Baron's rear pulley
future mods:
misc other things that cost money
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode