Pants? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Pants?

I have a Joe Rocket jacket that I really like as it is totally windproof, among other things. With the temps dropping into the 40's here in Indiana, I'm wondering about getting some pants to help combat the cold. They would add protection too, but hoping they would extend my riding season. I have decent riding gloves and just bought a full face helmet, so the only thing that gets cold is my legs. Anybody have any experience with pants?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 07:37 PM

pants

thinsulate lined pants from farm and fleet. they have different thicknesses, so you can wear different ones depending on how cold it is. I'll wear those, with a pair of leather chaps. I ride to and from work, about 20 miles each way. I'll ride until the morning(when i get off work) temp is 20. I'm nice and warm.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 07:53 AM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Kawasaki Vaquero
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Red
I wear Roadgear leather pants, complete with armor. Heavy leather, very comfortable though. I did add suspenders so I don't have to fuss with a belt. The only thing that would have made this model (now discontinued) better is for the zipper to have unzipped farther up the leg. If it is quite cold (for TN that is freezing and below) and can put on some thermal long-johns, but until then I'm good with just regular pants.

Jerry "Old Bear" Barker
Clarksville, TN
Americas Guardians PS MC
Tennessee 16-A Chapter
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 08:30 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
I'm a big fan of overpants (Same idea as chaps; just with full coverage; and I prefer the look, but that's subjective). As you probably know, 40-50 on the bike is entirely different than 40-50 when walking around. Wearing some heavy insulated pants then hopping off to go eat or something can be pretty rough! With overpants you can just wear bluejeans underneath, take them off, and go about your business!

Food for thought anyway. They don't have to be marketed as overpants either, just get a couple sizes bigger than you normally wear. (Though most overpants have nice 'adjusters' to help it fit snug regardless of the thickness of your clothes)

What I've found, is that below about 40 or 45 your ride time is limited without heated gear. When it's down in the 30's, with long-johns and my overpants with liner over jeans, a sweatshirt followed by by thermal liner and my riding jacket, the thickest gloves I care to wear (thicker would be hard to control!), full face helmet, scarf, and chin curtain; I can ride for about 30 minutes before I'm cold. Beyond that, eventually, the cold seeps down through the layers. I think heated gear is the only solution at those temps for any extended riding. You have to be putting heat back in, just all there is to it. I'm thinking I may invest in some heated gear this winter. If for no other reason than it could really eliminate a lot of 'layers' for me. Just throw on a heated jacket liner under my riding jacket, heated liner underneath my overpants, heated gloves. Good to go! Could ride all day in the 20's. At least that's what my friends who have such setups tell me. I don't yet.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 10:40 AM
Top Contributor

I use Tourmaster Overpants and have no issues with them. The zip out liner is great, their waterproof with vents. As was noted, you can wear them and take them off when you get wherever. Just try them on at a bike shop first so you get a large enough size for the clothes you expect to wear under them.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 07:37 PM

Tourmaster

I have tourmaster pants, they give great protection and keep you warm. It's getting cold in the mornings, they have a zip out liner. It doesn't take long before hypothermia sets in and it's no fun when you're shivering down the highway.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-19-2013, 07:43 PM
Top Contributor

I use the Joe Rocket Alter Ego textile pants with my Joe Rocket leather jacket. The two zippers weren't compatible, but I managed to get a zipper adapter made so I can zip the back of the pants to the back zipper in the jacket.

They block the wind well and, as you know, that helps a lot. They also have removable panels that help with ventilation in warmer/hot weather.

http://www.joerocket.com/catalog/ind...Alter_Ego_2.0_[Textile]
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 09:23 PM

pants

I'll agree with you Romans. 40-50 is too warm for insulated pants. At those temps, I'm still in jeans and chaps. But, I do like the idea of overpants. I never even thought of something like that. Thanks for the idea!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 09:34 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2008 V2KLT
I've got tourmaster pants (not overpants) that work great, way too hot when I get where I'm going usually, but very comfortable even in the sub 40 degree temps.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 09:19 AM

More food for thought, when I was younger (30 years ago) I used to live in northern WV, one winter I only had a bike for transportation and my low wage job was 25 miles one way.

Being on a strict budget I made a discovery a low cost thick set of yellow raingear both kept me dry and broke the wind greatly to make riding in 25 degree weather bearable. I chose the bib overall pants with the jacket. I wore a ski vest and my leather jacket, long johns and jeans with a scarf around my neck. Also had gauntlet gloves that came up well over my sleeves to keep the wind out.

Mainly my toes and fingers suffered but beyond that I was a happy clam.

Lesson learned big name high dollar specialty items are not always required nor necessary. As far as looks are concerned I may have looked like big bird riding down the road but I wasn't a popsicle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode