iPhone 5 and Scala Rider - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

iPhone 5 and Scala Rider

I recently moved from the dumb phone crowd to the smart from crowd. I had an old Casio Bolder for several years and the phone served me well but the company I worked for insisted I had a smart phone so they got me an iphone 5. But we don't need to get on that topic.

One thing I noticed is that the quality of the phone sounds is better and louder than over my Scala Rider head set than the old Casio was. My wife also told me it sounded even more clear (was not bad to start with) than on the other phone. So that is the good I have noticed right away.

Bu my questions is, is it possible to have the MP3s play over the head set from the iPhone or do I need to hard wire it in? Before I had a cheap MP3 player and the Boulder.

1985 Honda Nighthawk 650 (First Bike)
2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic (First Big Bike)
2007 Vulcan 1600 Meanstreak (Love Affair)
1999 Yamaha 1100 V-Star Custom (Right Price at the Time)
2008 V2K Classic (Favorite Vulcan)
2014 HD Ultra Limited (Bells and Whistles)
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 09:33 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Glad to hear from you SWVA.

Before I got the Ipod connector for my Voyager; I was using my Ipod touch bluetoothed to my Sena SMH5 headset.

I would think it should work fine.

Scott

2012 Voyager 1700 ---SOLD
Pearl Alpine White/Pearl Luster Beige
Nice

2011 Rocket III Touring
Phantom Black
Naughty

2016 Indian Roadmaster
Thunder Black

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

I have been a creaper a few times here. Checked out a few post but not said anything. lol

When i got it to sync the first time it works fine for all of the phone functions. I have not tried the directions from a mapping app or anything yet. I Just know the music won't. I did not know if it was a setting for the phone or if one of the productions did not support that feature across bluetooth. This is the first Apple product i have touch since the days of Apple II and when floppy disks were still actually floppy.

Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 09:53 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Which model Scala Rider do you have? Not all of them support A2DP, which is the protocol needed to play music or listen to GPS instructions. Although sometimes you can get the iPhone music to work with the Hands Free protocol (which is used for voice), but it will only be mono audio.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

I have the Scala Rider TeamSet Pro http://www.cardosystems.com/scala-ri...-rider-teamset

I am lost on the technical aspects of it. I am a user not a fixer or developer, lol.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 10:30 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
It doesn't list A2DP. That basically means the iPhone sees it like a handsfree bluetooth headset (you know those annoying things that people wear so that you can have a 10 minute conversation with them before finding out they were talking to someone else? ). So it probably won't play music through it. But you SHOULD be able to connect the iPhone to your Scala Rider via the cable just like you did your old mp3 player.

If you look at the Q2 (and other models) you'll find A2DP listed. That's the bluetooth technology that you need in order to listen to mp3 music with the iPhone;

http://www.cardosystems.com/scala-ri...iset#technical

Pretty much anything you buy now has that, and A2DP has been around a while (I have a big set of over-the-ear bluetooth headphones that I got in like 2005), but for some reason (like everything else) it's late to the motorcycle party.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Thanks for the help Romans. Learn something new everyday.

I hate those little bluetooth devices. I hate when people take calls in public places. Turn it to vibrate and take it some where better. I know there are emergencies but I don't want to hear what you have to say.

Now I just need to find me a mount so I can use the navigation on it. One new toys introduce hundreds of new ideas. I hate it. lol

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 11:14 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWVA_08V2k View Post
Thanks for the help Romans. Learn something new everyday.

I hate those little bluetooth devices. I hate when people take calls in public places. Turn it to vibrate and take it some where better. I know there are emergencies but I don't want to hear what you have to say.

Now I just need to find me a mount so I can use the navigation on it. One new toys introduce hundreds of new ideas. I hate it. lol
I mounted mine but then found I didn't need to. Can't see it in the sun anyway (I also have an iPhone 5), and the voice guidance works just fine. Get the Google Maps app, works great and the voice guidance is spot on. Warns you 2 miles before each turn and tells you what it is.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
I mounted mine but then found I didn't need to. Can't see it in the sun anyway (I also have an iPhone 5), and the voice guidance works just fine. Get the Google Maps app, works great and the voice guidance is spot on. Warns you 2 miles before each turn and tells you what it is.
I have not tried it out yet but that was one of the first apps I put on it. Being in the mapping/GIS profession, I am a map nerd. From what I have noticed around this area is that the spatial accuracy of Google's maps are better than Bing's or Navteq. But the attribute (Names and route numbers) are better on Bing's online maps.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 11:25 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWVA_08V2k View Post
I have not tried it out yet but that was one of the first apps I put on it. Being in the mapping/GIS profession, I am a map nerd. From what I have noticed around this area is that the spatial accuracy of Google's maps are better than Bing's or Navteq. But the attribute (Names and route numbers) are better on Bing's online maps.
Well you're the expert on map accuracy, but I do know the Google app has easy to follow voice directions so the phone just stays in my pocket. That's why I like it. It's never gotten me to the wrong place.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode