Need advice on half helmets - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Question Need advice on half helmets

I'm thinking about buying a half helmet to wear on the hot summer days, i would just go without a helmet at all but there are a lot of dumb drivers up here in North Dakota with all the construction trucks and semi drivers that think they own the road. so because of these drivers that don't care about others on the road i feel like i'm forced to wear a helmet but my full face helmet i pissing me off and i want your advice on a half helmet, are they uncomfortable? do they try to pull up in the wind, even with a windshield on the bike? any advice you have will help me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 10:54 PM
zig
Lifetime Premium

Garage
I just went to a half helmet this Spring. Like it so far. Mine is pretty light. I've got some pretty good prescription sun glasses that keeps most of the wind out of my eyes. I haven't been caught out in the rain yet; I understand that stings. It is pretty comfortable. I don't think it will provide as much protection as my modular, but it is cooler. I bought a polo style off of ebay; has a little bill built in.
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 12:16 AM

Just my opinion: a half helmet aint like a full face Shoie or Modular, they all probably protect the same and if they are dot, then they are dot. My Modular is a shoei neotec, and even in the heat I'd wear that on the interstate for logging miles. But around town and local the heat was killing me. I bought the $45 "FUEL" half helmet from Wally world, and it's not bad.

And no helmet is going to do anything for you if you get hit by a cummins at 65MPH. The helmet is for when you dump at 20 MPH hit your head on the ground, get up and are pissed off instead of DEAD.

Or to put it another way: above 45 MPH crashes are bad and maybe survivable even with full riding gear and full face helmets. Helmets are for the under 45mph crashes that are 99% survivable with a helmet and 1% survivable without. Again, just an opinion, but the only place I'll ride without a helmet on is my backyard and that 50 feet wide and under < 5mph kind of place!

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 12:26 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter2E View Post
I'm thinking about buying a half helmet to wear on the hot summer days, i would just go without a helmet at all but there are a lot of dumb drivers up here in North Dakota with all the construction trucks and semi drivers that think they own the road. so because of these drivers that don't care about others on the road i feel like i'm forced to wear a helmet but my full face helmet i pissing me off and i want your advice on a half helmet, are they uncomfortable? do they try to pull up in the wind, even with a windshield on the bike? any advice you have will help me.
Keep these suggestions in mind when wearing a half helmet. Wear it low on your forehead and the chin strap snug to keep it from rolling back when at speed. Wear ear plugs or cotton balls to keep the wind noise from damaging your hearing. If I'm going out on the highway with my half helmet I will wear my Buff to give a little protection from grit and bugs.
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 03:56 AM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
I wear a helmet like this http://www.vegahelmet.com/xta.html all the time.

It was bought to replace a cheaper brand that looks exactly the same that was destroyed last year.

As the others have stated, they are not going to preotect you from a direct impact, but the above one saved my noodle in an 80 mph crash on the interstate. My point being, even a half helmet is better than no helmet, not saying you are going to ride without one, just wanted to state my opinion.
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 05:47 AM

I have a Fulmer half helmet that I wear most of the time. It's DOT approved and has plenty of padding. It does try to pull off of my head when I'm riding without a windshield, but no problems when riding with a windshield. I think it pulls a little bit because the padding makes a wider edge for the wind to catch. Yes, rain stings your face and fog-proof glasses are a must! Shop around and try on lots of different helmets until you find one you like.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Candy Lime Green '08 Vulcan 900 Custom
Kuryakyn Pro-Series Hypercharger w/ K&N Filter
Parts Unlimited Low Profile Double-Bucket Seat
Saddlemen Drifter Slant Saddlebags
Cobra Speedster Shorts
Cobra Fi2000
Cobra Tach
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 07:30 AM

I have the Vega half helmet also. I find that its really light and not as bulky as others "mushroom". Its the only helmet I own and I ride year round. besides its the only one that fit my odd shaped melon really well and its DOT approved

Black 900 Custom "El Diablo"
Scootworks risers
Kuryakyn ISO grips "black"
Bub Hugger exhaust
Cobra FI2000R
Mustang Daytripper seat
"coming soon" Baron air intake

It doesn't matter what you ride
As long as you ride
LETS RIDE !!!!!!!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 09:10 AM

Garage
I to switched to a half-helmet for hotter days (still use FF during spring/fall cooler mornings). I got a Speed and Strength matte model and it's one size smaller than my FF. always try it on to make sure it fits your head shape and doesn't pull off easily.

most of my riding is work commute and slower speeds but I will put in ear-buds on the highway as I don't have a windshield to stop the buffeting.
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 09:54 AM
Top Contributor

Most people don't cinch the strap tight enough and the half helmet falls off in a crash.
All half helmets (not beenies) are dot.
Companies like Shoei make nicer,higher quality ones.
Arai won't even make one since they feel that they do little to protect you in a crash.

JJ

'97 Valkyrie Tourer '06 Stratoliner Midnight '09 V2KLT

NOT a member of an organized religion

post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 09:59 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Hmm Scorpion EXO-900 Helmet will let you go from full face to 3/4

2006 900 LT

Easy Mods
Crash Bars,Rear Tail Lights in Bags,Cooler bag on Sisy Bar,hand made Bag on Windshield,Wally world Cup Holder,Lower Shields,Gas Tank Bib,Baron Front Pulley

**Bikers are hard to find, Bikes are a Dime a Dozen**

My Second Hobby:

Here is another Hobby of mine model boats

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode