Leather boot question - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

Leather boot question

So my riding boots are Icon Motorhead leather riding boots. The boots are white and the leather seems a little dry (I bought them from guy who never wore them).

My question is this: when riding I guess I'm resting my feet to close to my engine (2006 500) because I've got a white spot on the shifter side where my boot touches.

Any advice for keeping the color from coming off of the boot? Or is this something I'll just have to deal with with these boots. Or is my foot position to close to the motor.

This may be in the wrong section but I couldn't think of a better place.

Also on the same subject but less about the gear, any advice for taking the white off of the motor? I will try to get pictures tomorrow in the sunlight.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 12:13 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
#0000 steel wool will take the white off of the motor easy. Won't scratch anything either.

As far as color coming off the boot? Since they are white; you're gonna have to deal. Black shifter, the heat- just not a good combo. If you've got darker colored boots mink oil is great for maintaining them, but it makes them dark. Dunno what it would do to white boots. But generally you want to keep leather boots oiled and maintained to prevent the leather from splitting. But; again, dunno how to do that on white boots!

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

Alright thanks

I'll see if I can find something to maintain them. I may just use the mink oil and deal with the darker color. Or just Google to try to find something lol.

I appreciate the quick response. I just hate seeing the random white blob on the metal of the motor haha.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 12:22 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ef5.0 View Post
Alright thanks

I'll see if I can find something to maintain them. I may just use the mink oil and deal with the darker color. Or just Google to try to find something lol.

I appreciate the quick response. I just hate seeing the random white blob on the metal of the motor haha.

Morseso than darkening, I'd be a little worried about blotchiness. I know a lot of guys who use mink oil on light colored work boots. They are often very blotchy looking. But, they are work boots! More of a function over form thing. You may feel that way about your MC boots too, though!

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Yeah right now I'm more function over looks. My gear doesn't even match my bike really haha

I'm much more interested in being protected than I am being fashionable when I ride. I bought all my gear before I even took the MSF... I'm kind of a safety fanatic.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 12:33 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ef5.0 View Post
Yeah right now I'm more function over looks. My gear doesn't even match my bike really haha

I'm much more interested in being protected than I am being fashionable when I ride. I bought all my gear before I even took the MSF... I'm kind of a safety fanatic.

I hear ya. Though I'm known to shirk the jacket on a hot day (which, admittedly, only makes me more comfortable at a stop. When I'm moving I can't really tell the difference). I tend to wear gear. Full face helmet, all that jazz. Doesn't bother me, not uncomfortable for me, and adds a nice layer of protection!

I did the same thing. Bought all my gear months before buying a biker or doing the MSF.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode