Rain gear. - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Rain gear.

I have only been riding a few years and have already had my share of rain gear that failed on me. I have heard from multiple people that Frogg Toggs was where it was at, but I just could NOT get over how ugly that shit is. It looks like a compressed tissue paper suit. I was at the sporting goods store and picked up the higher end frogg togg stuff(Toadz). It looks like a normal nylon jacket on the exterior but that weird frogg togg stuff on the inside. I just got doing about 20 miles(50MPH) in some pretty heavy rain. BONE DRY BABY! Not that it is incredibly fun to ride in the rain, but if you got to do it stay dry. Taking a huge road trip next month and this was the trial for the rain gear and it passed flying colors. I think I paid $150 for both jacket and bib, so not too shabby.

2009 Vulcan 900 SE
13,546 Miles
Baron Custom 2" Rear Lowering
Cobra Fi2000 PowerPro Tuner
Cobra PowerFlo Air Intake
Hard Krome Exhaust
Kawasaki Cafe Windshield
Kawasaki Flame Stitch Gel Seat, Backrest, Luggage Rack and Saddlebags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 10:45 AM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Kawasaki Vaquero
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Red
I've got a nice rain suit, but I've been trying to find the el-cheapo suits that I have read about. The sale point was that they were so thin that they would cling around you instead of flopping in the wind and tearing like the thicker ones do. The suggestion was to carrying a few extra for emergencies or fellow riders that were not prepared.

Jerry "Old Bear" Barker
Clarksville, TN
Americas Guardians PS MC
Tennessee 16-A Chapter
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 11:38 AM
Top Contributor

+1 on Frogg Toggs!

Walmart for cheap ponchos. About $1 each. I found a few at the Dollar store to carry for friends.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 02:54 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
I gotta say +1 on the Frogg Toggs as well. I burned a hole in my FT pants on my previous bike that had drag pipe (no heat shield) and I wanted to give something else a try. I got some typical nylon-type rain gear and they are more cumbersome to put on/off than the Frogg Toggs. The rubber-type lining made it impossible to put on or remove w/o taking my boots off first. Plus, they don't work well (the pants anyway) for blocking the cold. Bear in mind I use my rain gear for cold weather more than rain, and the Frogg Toggs are top notch... except for the wear and tear. Using them all winter does make the fabric a little worn, but even if I have to buy a set every season I'm OK with that. They do a super job at both keeping me dry and keeping me warm.

'97 Vulcan Classic 1500

I have a photographic memory... but sometimes I run out of film

Last edited by ikillbugs; 04-10-2013 at 02:56 PM.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 03:47 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Color: Orange SE
Garage
+1 on ANY good rain gear. It's invaluable.

Bottom line, rain gear is one thing you just can't skimp on, and every biker who rides more than just on 0% chance of rain days should have (on the bike all the time if possible). Being drenched and cold is miserable. It might be 100 degrees out there but the temp drops quick when the rains come in, on top of that cold water pelting you.. it's just miserable, AND distracting without good gear.

I dedicate one of my hard saddlebags to 'incidentals'. I have a first aid kit, rain gear, change of clothes (gym shorts and a t-shirt, if I ever really got stranded and had to find a motel I'd have something to sleep in, or change into when it's done raining if I got wet), some shop towels, and a few tools/odds and ends. Not everyone needs that but since I do a lot of long distance riding, including one-day long distance rides where I come home, it's invaluable. Don't have to think about it, it's just always there. So if I'm two hours from home and the heavens break loose, all I have to do is pull over, throw my rain gear on underneath my riding gear, close vents on my riding gear, and keep on going.

I ALSO keep hand warmers, and plastic rain-ponchos in there. The ponchos work in a pinch and if you're riding with a group, you can pass them out to the less-prepared folks. Like 85 cents at wal-mart. The hand/boot warmers are useful when the temp drops severely. I've been out riding on an 85 degree day and it suddenly drop to 50 or even 40 degrees along with a HARD rain, those hand/boot warmers are invaluable. 50 isn't bad but it is when it's pouring!

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 09:02 AM
Top Contributor

The only good thing about Frogg Toggs is how easy it is to get off the exhaust pipes when it gets melted on.

My biggest fear is when I die, my wife will sell all my guitars for what I told her I paid for them.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 11:51 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Braske View Post
The only good thing about Frogg Toggs is how easy it is to get off the exhaust pipes when it gets melted on.
There are motorcycle specific get-ups as well, treated below the knee to handle the heat.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 11:55 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Duct Tape seals holes in frog toggs nicely . . . Trust me . . I know

2011 Voyager ABS

Thunder Air Kit
Cobra Tri Ovals/PowerPro
Wrapped Headers
CB/Rear Speakers
SageBrush Designs Tank Bib
Kury TourTech Mounts
Chrome Psgr board bottoms
14" Rifle Windshield
WOLO horn
Russell Day Long seat w/backrest
Kury T/S mirrors
Avon grips w/Throttle Magic by RacnRay
Kury Phase 6 LED Headlight & spotlights

Ride Bells by Sabrehood brothers MinatourAce and Outlaw

Blue Knights VA II
Ride With Pride
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 11:43 PM
Lifetime Premium

I have full touring gear, 3/4 coat and pants, body armor etc, nothing works better for me. Zip out quilted liners and panels for the heat, Zip in the panels for the rain. Then i have these really ugly over boot thingy's, but, boy do they work.

Joe Rocket Alter Ego gear works well to, its not cheap, but its all you will need for 4 season riding.

As i flipped into 5th, i couldnt remember a damn thing she said
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Classic LT Bagger ... SOLD .... ... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer. traded on a Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

2010 Custom [I] ... traded on a 2015 Ninja 650 Abs traded on a 2016 Versys 650 LT ... Loaded
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 12:48 AM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 LTD; 1996 Kawasaki ZX9R Ninja; 1993 Kawasaki ZR-1100 (now 1322 cc)
Displacement/CC's: 2000 cc; 900 cc; 1322 cc
Hi, Dronious:

I agree with you about Frogg Toggs. I was recently looking for rain gear for my lovely wife, and I saw the Frogg Toggs. All that came into my head was the thought of using them to wipe after going to the bathroom.

I have a top jacket (an inexpensive $39 model), and a full side entry one piece by Tour Master. There are only rare occasions that I ride without packing rain gear. All you have to do is get caught in a storm on a highway on a trip and not have the gear, and you learn your lesson. Before that happens, of course, we believe, delusionally, that "it will never happen to me" (sort of like driving after drinking alcohol).

I agree with the general premise implied in Romans 5.8's message, also the Boy Scout motto: "Be Prepared". I live by it (O.K., I am an Eagle Scout...). While I don't carry the same things he lists, I do try to be prepared for unexpected things. Does this require use of valuable space on the bike? Yes. Are they things I may not use? Yes. Are they things I would really appreciate having if I was in a bind? Yes! I carry a small air compressor too. Why? Because I had to repair a flat on a full dress tourer in the rain, and had the standard bike tire kit with the CO2 cartridges to inflate the tire. And extra cartridges too. Didn't inflate the tire very much at all. I limped down the mountain and found a gas station to complete filling the tire, but I rode for a long ways to get there.

Anyway, on the rain gear, a lot is personal choice. I like the choices provided by Tour Master and I like the quality. But there are other choices. You should get gear that has rear ventilation on the jacket. The materials typically used don't breathe or not very much, and you need air flow. So front vents are good too. I also carry either my rubber galoshes (pull over the boots) or the nylon quick pull on boot covers. Gotta have them. And I have waterproof glove covers (like big mittens and go over regular gloves).

Last edited by The Heater; 04-13-2013 at 12:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode