Leatherup.com --BUYER BEWARE - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to philvt
Leatherup.com --BUYER BEWARE

Hey everybody, I wanted to let you know about my experience with leatherup.com to hopefully save some of you from the headaches I've had.

First thing I ordered from them was a leather jacket, that I had to send back two times because it didn't fit correctly. Normally this wouldn't be a giant deal, but they do not cover any return shipping unless the item is broken upon retrieval (which it turns out, they won't even do that). This fact is acceptable, although it's a bummer because there are a lot of people that will pay return shipping for unhappy customers. I did end up rather liking the jacket, and still wear it regularly. Hard to beat the value.

Second thing I ordered was a Hawk H-6611 bluetooth modular helmet. First of all, the helmet sucked. It was heavy, cheaply built, and rather than actually having speakers inside, there were basically old style headphones attached to the chin strap (hard to line up with your ears).

The helmet showed up with the chin vent broken. It was just flapping around rather than staying in either position. You could even see the plastic catch inside that was broken. I called three times to talk with different customer service reps everytime, and all of them ended up telling me that's how it's supposed to be, tough luck. Two of the three ended the call by hanging up on me. Two of the three told me that if returned, I would be charged an exceptionally large restocking fee simply because I had opened the box (even just to find that it was broken). I did not wear it on a ride. Just opened the box. They also told me if I had tried the helmet on, they would send the return shipment back to me At MY EXPENSE, and not return any money.

I know you will do what you will do, but I hope this post helps someone out. I would not do business with this company again even if I was paid to, and feel stupid in the first place for ever ordering something as important as a helmet online.

Happy riding!

-Phil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 07:40 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
That's a shame. I've bought a couple things from Leatherup. Everything was pretty cheap, but of course I didn't pay very much at all- guess the saying 'you get what you paid for' is true!

Can't comment on their service. Never tried to return anything.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Good point, ya get what ya pay for. However, I love the jacket I got from them, although I had to go like two sizes up from my normal to even get it on.

I'm having a really hard time not ordering their chaps! haha. Judging by the customer service experience, I'm trying to stay strong, but it's so damn hard to beat 50-70 bucks for 100% leather chaps.

Any recommendations for inexpensive chaps from a company that stands behind their products?

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 08:19 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by philvt View Post
Ya well I'm having a really hard time not ordering their chaps! haha. Judging by the customer service experience, I'm trying to stay strong, but it's so damn hard to beat 50-70 bucks for 100% leather chaps.

Any recommendations for inexpensive chaps from a company that stands behind their products?
One of the things I bought from them was a leather vest. The leather itself is decent. Cheap but decent. However, everything else was pretty awful. The metal 'snaps' didn't even fit into each other! I modified some extenders to make it compatible, and within a couple months they had ALL fallen out of the vest. It's sitting in my closet. It was only like $30, but I would have rather paid $100 for one that would at least hold up and would actually snap together! Learned my lesson I guess.

So the leather on the chaps will probably be decent. But don't expect the size to be right, and I would anticipate things like zipper, snaps, ties, etc. being very poor in quality. BUT, if you or someone you know works with leather, you could by the chaps and just replace the cheap zippers/etc. with good stuff from a supply store and have a decent pair of chaps on the cheap!

Personally, I strongly recommend buying things like chaps local. Especially from a motorcycle dealer, because you can likely try them on and then go sit on a bike just like yours and see how they fit when you are riding. I don't know about you, but I really need the gear I wear on my bike to fit well.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Excellent points! Thanks man. I should probably go to a local bike shop. Being in a small town makes it a little harder, because the shops that are here have little to compete with so they don't have to have even semi decent prices, but a little extra cash will be worth the lack of headache.

Plus, I think from now on, I want to try something on before I commit and buy it. That helmet situation REALLY taught me the lesson on that!

I'm sorry that you also had such a sour situation. It's a bummer that there's people out there that will sell stuff like that and feel good about it. Or just feel good about the money they're making I guess. haha.

Thanks again!
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 09:59 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Well they also aren't charging much. It's still a useful service. Sometimes you don't need a lot of quality. 89 cent wal mart rain ponchos are better than a $300 rain suit if the rain suit is 200 miles away!

post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 06:57 AM

I don't know how you paid for your helment but you can go through you credit card or paypal and file a complaint and they will stop payment to leather,up and help you work your promlem out. I had to do it be for on some mirrors I oredered from hong kong I can be such a d--b a--- some times. When you go to your local motorcycle shop take the leather,up add and see if they will take any off for the chaps. Good Luck, B Cope.
veronicamays likes this.

Only a motorcycle rider knows why a dog sticks he head out the car window. Enjoy life.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 07:41 AM

Try jafrum.com

I buy from them fairly regularly and have never had a problem.

MT

MAS Tequila
PSych Ward NC
03 1500/1600 Nomad
96 BUBF Project

If You Want To Get To Heaven
You Gotta Raise A Little Hell

1/20/2017
The End Of An Error
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 08:25 AM

I hate to say it but Jafrum is pretty much the same as Leatherup. You have to pay return shipping. And in my case the chaps I bought did not come close to fitting the first time. The second ones fit great. I'm not really knocking either company. They fit a niche in the marketplace. You just have to realize their policies. I have a jacket from Leatherup and have worn it a lot for the last 4 years.

I will say this. If you need gear that you will use a lot, go to your local dealer or find an online vendor that pays return shipping. It may cost a bit more but you will be happier in the long run.

2012 Nomad 1700
Cobra Luggage Rack
Airlite Crash Bar Chaps
Kuryakyn Offset Highway Pegs
Vulcan Emblem on Passenger Back Rest
Fire and Steel Light Bar
Signal Dynamics Headlight Modulator
Wolo Bad Boy Horn
Kuryakyn Power Point
Back Off XP Brake Light Modulator

08 900 Custom - Traded in!
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Ya IL Vaquero, that's actually what I had to do to get my refund. I threatened to call my credit card company and dispute the payment, so then they finally agreed to return the full amount. I still had to pay return shipping though. Not the end of the world.

MAS Tequila, I'm glad you've had good experiences with them. I don't know if you've ever had to deal with their customer service, but maybe I just had bad luck this time. Seems odd that I got bad apples three times in a row though.

Ghost, glad I know that about Jafrum. Now I know not to go there either . Ya I'm learning that there are certain things you can buy online, and certain things you just shouldn't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode