Do Nylon Jackets FLAP in the Wind?? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Do Nylon Jackets FLAP in the Wind??

I've got a nice leather motorcycle jacket, but I'm considering buying something a little lighter in weight for warm weather riding.

Here is one of the jackets I'm considering. http://www.jaminleather.com/Lightwei...ents-P909.aspx

I just wonder if this nylon would "flap" in the wind when riding? I hate the sound of a thin jacket flapping in the breeze when I get above 35 mph or thereabouts.

So, what do you say? I've never owned a nylon motorcycle jacket before. Just owned those flimsy nylon wind breakers which I hate as far as riding is concerned. Do you think this jacket would "flap" in the breeze or not?

Thanks.

My Current Rides
2009 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
2005 Harley Electra Glide Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 09:42 AM

Re: Do Nylon Jackets FLAP in the Wind??

My leather jacket was poorly ventilated and it would always catch the wind and flap around. I bought a mesh/textile jacket which "breathes" much better and let's the air pass through. It does not flap at all.

Sent from my Tricorder using Motorcycle.com Free App

Life is a runaway train you can't wait to jump on...

His: 2009 Vulcan 900 LT
Hers: 2013 Hyosung ST7
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 09:51 AM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Kawasaki Vaquero
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Red
I wear a Scorpion mesh jacket with real CE-approved armor guards, comes with a waterproof liner and a thermal liner. For me, it is pretty much a year-round jacket. I think it looks good, it's very comfortable, and I have that protection. No, it doesn't flap.

Jerry "Old Bear" Barker
Clarksville, TN
Americas Guardians PS MC
Tennessee 16-A Chapter
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 10:11 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Look around, some jackets have fasteners to prevent that.

My jacket, for example, is lightweight but it has straps along the bottom (where it sits around your waist) and on the arms. You sinch them tight, and it doesn't flap around at all. Basically makes the jacket 'custom fit'.

From the looks of it, looks like that jacket has the same thing, so it should sinch tight and not flap. It's not like you have to cut off circulation either, just get it snug.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 09:24 PM
Lifetime Premium

Romans, my favorite touring jacket is a textile with a zip out bodice, sleeves and back down to mesh while still retaining a full textile shoulder and elbow ... all with 3ce body armor...

It does not flap, is a quarter of the weight of leather and cost under $70 at leatherup.com.

If it starts raining, i just zip the panels back in, its waterproof.

As i flipped into 5th, i couldnt remember a damn thing she said
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Classic LT Bagger ... SOLD .... ... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer. traded on a Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

2010 Custom [I] ... traded on a 2015 Ninja 650 Abs traded on a 2016 Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

Last edited by whiting57; 02-11-2013 at 09:27 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 12:09 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiting57 View Post
Romans, my favorite touring jacket is a textile with a zip out bodice, sleeves and back down to mesh while still retaining a full textile shoulder and elbow ... all with 3ce body armor...

-snip-

It does not flap, is a quarter of the weight of leather and cost under $70 at leatherup.com.

If it starts raining, i just zip the panels back in, its waterproof.
That's a pretty sharp lookin' jacket!

I like mine alot, but I have been looking for a lighter mesh jacket for the summer. Although mine isn't too bad in the summer, but it doesn't have any vents (the material breathes decently though).

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 09:01 PM
Lifetime Premium

I have found that any jacket, regardless of style, fabric, leather or nylon, that has vents, when opened, balloons up and make me look like the michelin man.

There are several manufactures that do an all mesh jacket with body armor, i have a couple of different brands myself. These come with removable rain liners. My fav is the above one though, it will do 3 seasons and comes with a quilted liner as well as the zip out panels.

As i flipped into 5th, i couldnt remember a damn thing she said
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Classic LT Bagger ... SOLD .... ... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer. traded on a Versys 650 LT ... Loaded

2010 Custom [I] ... traded on a 2015 Ninja 650 Abs traded on a 2016 Versys 650 LT ... Loaded
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 10:42 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Re: Do Nylon Jackets FLAP in the Wind??

The jacket from Jamin Leathers looks nice and from the design, should not flap. Could wear it late Fall, Winter, and early Spring in these mild temperatures we usually have here in the Texas Hill Country, those times of the year.

May give it a try and price seems right, too.

Roadie
2011 Vaquero

Amsoil Oil | TLC Bag Liners
Mini Beast Air Horn | Sagebrush Bag Chaps
Power Commander V | Cobra Tri-Oval SlipOns
Thunder Tornado Air Kit | Madcorider Oil Tempstick
Marvellas Trailer Hitch Kit | Rumbling Pride Flag Mounts
Utopia Drivers Backrest | Sagebrush Leather Tank Bib
Michelin Commander II Tires | Classic's Engine/Road Bar Chaps
Wind Vest 10" Smoked Windscreen | Avon Grips with RacNRay's Throttle Mod

4 Wheels Move the Body & 2 Wheels Move the Soul
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadie View Post
The jacket from Jamin Leathers looks nice and from the design, should not flap. Could wear it late Fall, Winter, and early Spring in these mild temperatures we usually have here in the Texas Hill Country, those times of the year.

May give it a try and price seems right, too.
I ordered that jacket from Jamin today. When I called to inquire about the jacket, the lady said that they had the exact same jacket with removable armor in the shoulder, elbow, and the back. I asked how much extra it cost for the one with armor. She said that it was the same price $99.99 So I ordered the one with armor. If I don't like the armor, I can take it out.

She was very helpful with info on jacket size, weight of the nylon material, cuff size, etc. In fact, she personally picked out the jacket in my size and measured it and said she would take it over to the shipping department to send to me as soon as we finished talking. It isn't often that you can talk with someone who will personally pick out the item you're inquiring about, take measurements that you ask about, and then agree to send you THAT EXACT item. I hope I like it. I think I will.

My Current Rides
2009 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
2005 Harley Electra Glide Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode