What do you guys wear for commuting - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

What do you guys wear for commuting

Hi,

Using my 900LT up and down for the work. It is only 5km from my house. I normaly wear just a full face helmet. I cant use riding boots inside the office, so just normal shoes. I do have a leather jacket, but wear only if it is very cold out side. Now um more concerned about the safety.

Would like to know what are you guys wearing for similar purpose with added safety? Any jackets ad pants with safety features? What about some boots which can also be used in office?

thanks,

cv
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 12:31 PM
Top Contributor

can't help ya there. The company I work for only requires us to show up clothed. Don't matter what just as long as we are covered.

1985 Honda Nighthawk 650 (First Bike)
2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic (First Big Bike)
2007 Vulcan 1600 Meanstreak (Love Affair)
1999 Yamaha 1100 V-Star Custom (Right Price at the Time)
2008 V2K Classic (Favorite Vulcan)
2014 HD Ultra Limited (Bells and Whistles)
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 12:43 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Do you have nice temps year round?

I don't like wearing my riding boots all day, so I keep a pair of tennis shoes under my desk and swap em out every morning & afternoon.
Other than that I wear a mesh jacket with different levels of liners depending on temperature. I can wear jeans to work 99% of the time so I don't have any issues there. On really cold days I have a pair of leg gaiters that I take off in the parking lot and leave in my saddlebags.
I also recently started wearing a doo-rag to keep the helmet hair at bay, it stays with the bike too.

Scott

2012 Voyager 1700 ---SOLD
Pearl Alpine White/Pearl Luster Beige
Nice

2011 Rocket III Touring
Phantom Black
Naughty

2016 Indian Roadmaster
Thunder Black

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 02:48 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
I wear slacks and a tie for work, so I feel your pain. I don't want to ride in my 'work clothes' because it would be super easy to ruin them with bugs and such, they'd get wrinkled like crazy and dress shoes aren't exactly ideal for riding! Plus, a button-up shirt doesn't provide much protection. Here's the recipe I've come up with;

1) I found some good, comfortable black riding boots that I polish really well. Most folks don't notice I'm wearing boots under my slacks. Though usually I just change, I keep a pair of Oxford shoes in my saddlebag. Wouldn't want to ride with those (basically no sole) so I just swap 'em out.

2) Overpants and a good riding jacket keep the shirt and slacks from getting wrinkled or messed up. Only issue, though, is sweat in the summer. I've been known to just wear my white undershirt underneath my riding jacket then, and putting my shirt/tie on when I get there. Having a decent amount of on-bike storage is helpful here.

3) On really hot days, either take the cage or arrive early, give yourself time to cool off. Again, being all sweaty with a tie on isn't a great combination!

Ultimately though, I've really found the best solution to be just to change when you get there, if at all possible. It's usually pretty easy to just throw a shirt on when you get there, even in the parking lot, if you're like me and always wear an under-shirt anyway.

Also, depends on how strict your employer is and whether or not you can stand wearing boots all day, but don't knock the idea of polished riding boots. The thick sole is a giveaway but other than that, my polished boots under my slacks look just fine, IMO.

Like Scott, I wear a doo-rag under my FF helmet as well. I don't have to deal with helmet hair (hair is too short for that), but it keeps me from walking in with a sweaty head, or from stinking up my helmet! The goal here is to go into work not looking like you just got off a motorcycle! LOL.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Last edited by Romans5.8; 02-06-2013 at 02:50 PM.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 02:52 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
I also wear a mesh jacket with different liners, mesh gloves with armor when hot , leather gloves when cold. Full helmet. no doo-rag not much hair left
Wear Boots and chaps. Chaps I have are easy to get into a belt then 2 zippers.

2006 900 LT

Easy Mods
Crash Bars,Rear Tail Lights in Bags,Cooler bag on Sisy Bar,hand made Bag on Windshield,Wally world Cup Holder,Lower Shields,Gas Tank Bib,Baron Front Pulley

**Bikers are hard to find, Bikes are a Dime a Dozen**

My Second Hobby:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Here is another Hobby of mine model boats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 02:58 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
I wear slacks and a tie for work, so I feel your pain. I don't want to ride in my 'work clothes' because it would be super easy to ruin them with bugs and such, they'd get wrinkled like crazy and dress shoes aren't exactly ideal for riding! Plus, a button-up shirt doesn't provide much protection. Here's the recipe I've come up with;

1) I found some good, comfortable black riding boots that I polish really well. Most folks don't notice I'm wearing boots under my slacks. Though usually I just change, I keep a pair of Oxford shoes in my saddlebag. Wouldn't want to ride with those (basically no sole) so I just swap 'em out.

2) Overpants and a good riding jacket keep the shirt and slacks from getting wrinkled or messed up. Only issue, though, is sweat in the summer. I've been known to just wear my white undershirt underneath my riding jacket then, and putting my shirt/tie on when I get there. Having a decent amount of on-bike storage is helpful here.

3) On really hot days, either take the cage or arrive early, give yourself time to cool off. Again, being all sweaty with a tie on isn't a great combination!

Ultimately though, I've really found the best solution to be just to change when you get there, if at all possible. It's usually pretty easy to just throw a shirt on when you get there, even in the parking lot, if you're like me and always wear an under-shirt anyway.

Also, depends on how strict your employer is and whether or not you can stand wearing boots all day, but don't knock the idea of polished riding boots. The thick sole is a giveaway but other than that, my polished boots under my slacks look just fine, IMO.

Like Scott, I wear a doo-rag under my FF helmet as well. I don't have to deal with helmet hair (hair is too short for that), but it keeps me from walking in with a sweaty head, or from stinking up my helmet! The goal here is to go into work not looking like you just got off a motorcycle! LOL.
He he. You just live in the wrong area. Boots go with anything here. I wear my brown Georgia Boots almost everywhere.

Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 03:03 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWVA_08V2k View Post
He he. You just live in the wrong area. Boots go with anything here. I wear my brown Georgia Boots almost everywhere.
LOL, well it is a pretty rural area so chances are I could get away with brown work boots too! But ya know...

Oh, and another thing I forgot to mention OP; one BIG help to a commuter bike is lots of storage. Big hard bags and a trunk if at all possible. I've got rain gear, tennis shoes, extra t-shirt and sweatshirt, tools, etc., on the bike at all times. ALSO, I have enough room to stash (and lock) my gear, helmet, laptop, etc. on the bike. There are a lot of times I would be unable to commute with my bike if I didn't have all of that storage. Especially with kooky MO weather. I could leave in the morning, early, and it be 75 degrees. On the way home it could be 55 and raining cats and dogs.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 03:13 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
LOL, well it is a pretty rural area so chances are I could get away with brown work boots too! But ya know...

Oh, and another thing I forgot to mention OP; one BIG help to a commuter bike is lots of storage. Big hard bags and a trunk if at all possible. I've got rain gear, tennis shoes, extra t-shirt and sweatshirt, tools, etc., on the bike at all times. ALSO, I have enough room to stash (and lock) my gear, helmet, laptop, etc. on the bike. There are a lot of times I would be unable to commute with my bike if I didn't have all of that storage. Especially with kooky MO weather. I could leave in the morning, early, and it be 75 degrees. On the way home it could be 55 and raining cats and dogs.
When I first took the job I have now I had about a 50 minute commute to work. I had not moved yet (now I am about 5 minutes away) and HAD to ride to be able to afford gas and moving expenses for a few months. It is one thing getting caught in the rain coming home, yeah it sucks and you got soggy britches and boots until you get home and change. Its completely different if it rains on you going TO work. A rain suite is worth it. I did not have one then because I was tight for $$$ at the time.

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 04:07 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWVA_08V2k View Post
When I first took the job I have now I had about a 50 minute commute to work. I had not moved yet (now I am about 5 minutes away) and HAD to ride to be able to afford gas and moving expenses for a few months. It is one thing getting caught in the rain coming home, yeah it sucks and you got soggy britches and boots until you get home and change. Its completely different if it rains on you going TO work. A rain suite is worth it. I did not have one then because I was tight for $$$ at the time.
Wal-Mart sells these 89 cent rain ponchos. Man they are awesome! I actually have a nicer Coleman brand poncho, and the heavier material makes it ride up and blow around. The wally world one is so thin and cheap it clings to you and doesn't blow around. Keeps you very dry! I always keep several in a saddlebag. DEFINITELY useful in a pinch if you don't have a rain suit, or the storage to take it with you all the time. These ponchos come in such a small package they could actually fit in the toolkit for the Vulcan if you have NO storage.

If you do, buy a handful. I've been a hero more than once when I was on a ride and we got hit with rain, and I passed those little suckers out. Usually when I'm done with them I throw them away, not worth trying to fold back up and they rip easy. But man do they work! (And under a buck a piece)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trai...-Hood/19897893

You can find them back in sporting goods. The Wal-Mart around here usually has 100 or so in stock all the time.

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 06:06 AM
zig
Lifetime Premium

Garage
have you checked out "chucka" boots? those are the low top (over the ankle) leather boots; with jeans or slacks on, and standing up, they look similar to loafers/deck shoes. I wore these while teaching Ag in high school. You can even get them with steel toes, which I use with my current job. Tough boots, but look more "casual" when standing in them with slacks/jeans on. I also do the mesh armored jacket in summer. Just bought a brown duck canvas lined armored jacket for winter, with a removabe liner for spring/fall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode