Helmets - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Helmets

Okay. Talk to me about helmets.

I've really tended not to wear helmets. They're hot, they're heavy. I'm entertaining the notion, however.

I've got some neck issues so it would have to be light, or I just wouldn't wear it.

Also, consider that I live in Florida and it's hot - it'd have to be pretty well ventilated.

I'm actually considering ordering a carbon fiber Skull Crush helmet, but I'd like to hear what ideas everyone else has to offer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 04:29 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
I usually wear a 1/2 helmet because they are required here in Ga. Last year I got a fiberglass helmet and was surprised at how light weight it felt compared to the plastic ones I've had before, would say 1/2 the weight. I still go without one when I travel north were they are not required, but this one isnt to bad. I've found wind buffeting is the biggest head ache for me. A windsheild helps alot in this area with a helmet.
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 06:07 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Kawasaki Vaquero
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Red
Late summer I picked up the new Shoei Neotec helmet. Yes, it is expensive. It is, however, arguably considered to be about the best helmet to be had. It is light, one of the quietest helmets I've ever worn, the ventilation is just crazy. When I open the top vent, I can actually feel the wind blowing my hair. I open the front vent, I can feel the air blowing against my eyebrows, but not into my eyes. Sunshield works just like you would expect. And with the front flip-up, I can really open it up when sitting in traffic or to get a quick drink. In short, I love it!

Jerry "Old Bear" Barker
Clarksville, TN
Americas Guardians PS MC
Tennessee 16-A Chapter
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 06:32 PM

i use a $20 plastic "helmet" to comply with local laws. never thought much of it, but got hit last year and it did its job. hit the ground hard and scraped the hell out of it, but not a scratch on my head. if you hit something with your head at speed, all the helmet is going to do is make it easier for the cleanup. i would rather die on the road than live in a hospital bed.

2007 Vulcan 2000 LT
BAK
V&H Powershots
computer thingy

May the road rise to meet you and the wind always be at your back
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 07:26 AM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Kawasaki Vaquero
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101stFister View Post
i use a $20 plastic "helmet" to comply with local laws. never thought much of it, but got hit last year and it did its job. hit the ground hard and scraped the hell out of it, but not a scratch on my head. if you hit something with your head at speed, all the helmet is going to do is make it easier for the cleanup. i would rather die on the road than live in a hospital bed.
To each their own! My son-in-law (also 101st) high-sided his bike last year out in the back 40 on post. The front of the full-face helmet his wife makes him wear was tore all to hell. If not for that helmet, his face would have been hamburger meat. He wouldn't have died, and he wouldn't have lived in a hospital bed. He would however, have terrorized his new baby daughter with every look and spent the rest of his life looking like a slaughter-house reject. As I said though, to each their own! I think it's still a free country - sort of.

Jerry "Old Bear" Barker
Clarksville, TN
Americas Guardians PS MC
Tennessee 16-A Chapter
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101stFister View Post
i would rather die on the road than live in a hospital bed.
Amen, Brother.
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 08:20 AM

Look into something made of carbon fiber. No matter if you want half, three quarter, full face or one of the designer lids, carbon fiber can be lighter than all the rest. The thing is, the shell is only a small part of a helmet. The important part is on the inside and how it reacts to compression. Aside from the old standbys like Shoei, Bell and others, here is a link to just one of many suppliers with something a bit different. http://www.skullcrushgear.com/novelty-helmets.html
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Syko - I was actually looking at SkullCrush. The Sixshooter style helmet looks like it'd be pretty light and cool.
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 08:32 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Here is a great link from WebBikeWorld.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...le-helmets.htm

And sorted by weight.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...et-weights.htm

I didn't see any advertised weights on those skull crusher novelties??!!

Anyway, head-shape is pretty important when picking a helmet that wont irritate the h*ll out of you.
The site reviews, noise, ventilation and head-shape. If you don't mind doing some reading; this is the best source for information on helmets I have seen.

Scott

2012 Voyager 1700 ---SOLD
Pearl Alpine White/Pearl Luster Beige
Nice

2011 Rocket III Touring
Phantom Black
Naughty

2016 Indian Roadmaster
Thunder Black

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Wow. Thanks for the link.

What's killed it for me in the past has been a combination of weight and wind resistance. So I'm thinking something low profile and light weight would be best for me.

Maybe what I really need is a kevlar doo-rag.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode