HJC RPHA Max - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

HJC RPHA Max

I apologize ahead of time if others have already posted on this, but I really felt compelled to share!

So I know a lot of cruiser riders wear open face and 1/2 helmets when riding, but for those who wear full face helmets all or some of the time, I *highly* recommend the RPHA Max. Of all the helmets I have tried on and owned (off road for my ATV and on road for my Vulcan 900) this is by far the most comfortable. I have never been a fan of modular helmets because of weight and the opening mechanism but the RPHA has completely changed my attitude.

The padding inside is plush and comfortable, even though it's a more snug fit than other full face helmets. The extended padding at the bottom does a great job of keeping wind and wind noise out. Apparently the interior padding is also supposed to absorb heat AND sweat away from the head, and has antimicrobial/antiodor components. The RPHA Max has a slimmer profile than a lot of others, which I prefer personally since full face helmets tend to be huge anyway. There's a retractable sun shield and it comes with a clear pinlock shield as well. The shield itself locks down in front and easily unlocks and ratchets upward with a simple one-finger button push. And like other HJC helmets, changing the shield is easy and painless. The chin bar is closer to the face than other helmets I tried (Shoei, HJC, Bell, etc) but I actually like it, I guess because of the comfort and profile. The last thing I want to mention is how light this helmet is. When I put it on, I immediately noticed the considerable weight difference between it and my current HJC full face.

I cannot speak to the alleged quietness at highway speeds yet, but I will update this as soon as I get the opportunity. I can only hope it lives up to those claims as my husband and I use the Sena SMH10 for bike to bike intercom and currently there is a lot of wind noise on his end due to lack of chin curtain in his current helmet. The only thing I wish it had was Snell compliance.

My husband also bought an RPHA Max as well. He was just as impressed.

Retail price is a little high (~$459), but I guess you can't put a price on comfort and safety. I was able to buy mine well below MSRP via eBay. I did see regular websites offering it around $395 and up. Shoei's comparable modulars run in the $600 + range.

If modular isn't your thing, take a look at the RPHA 10, which I also loved. It doesn't have the extended padding or retractable sun shield but still has the high level of comfort and light weight. Can't remember if they claim considerable noise reduction on this one.

HJC definitely has upped their quality on the RPHA line. The fit and finish on all of their RPHA helmets is second to none. I think they may give high-end brands a run for their money. Needless to say I was truly impressed by these helmets, especially from a company known for their budget-friendly line of lids.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Motorcycle.com Free App

'13 Vulcan 900 Classic
V&H Big Radius 2 into 2 pipes
Kuryakyn BLACK Iso grips
Highway Hawk Extreme Fat Bar (black)
Mustang seat with backrest
Klock Werks Kontour Fairing
Kuryakyn Phase 7 LED headlight
Kuryakyn Constellation Light bar
Tsukayu hardbags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 04:30 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
I have the HJC ISMax modular and for just under $200 on a cold morning you can not bet it for the price. The opening catch is easy to operate with gloves on and being able to raise it along with a no fog shield at red lights and in slow traffic almost completely eliminates shield fogging in cold weather.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 12:12 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
HJC is making some good stuff these days. I've got a CL-16 and love it, so does the wife. We wear them all year round, can't beat em! Plenty comfortable, easy to work with gloves. My only beef, is that the face shield on BOTH of our helmets can be a pain sometimes, it kind of catches and you have to push a little harder to get it open.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 01:18 PM

HJC RPHA Max

I had the same problem with my cl-16. Put a small dab of Vaseline in the groove that the pin of the shield rides in. No more problems.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

2002 Vulcan 500
Dyna Mufflers, Mini Tach, Marlin Talon Clock

Soon Mods,
Kuryakyn Swingwing pegs, 17 tooth sprocket, new mirrors, and led signals
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 03:20 PM

I was recently looking at modular helmets as well. I was definitely impressed with the lightweight, the features and the quality. I would have to say HJC is still not the quality of Shoei, Arai, and Schuberth but seems to be above the crowd, and costs a lot less than the top tier brands.

Ultimately it was the price that drove me to a Scorpion EXO 900, as I wasn't positive I wanted or needed a modular. Also, if I didn't already have a newish RPS - 10 (with pinlock) I would have considered the RPHA MAX a little more.

To anyone that is positive they want a modular and don't mind spending the money definitely check out RPHA MAX.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode