Cold weather riding gloves? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Cold weather riding gloves?

Since I'm not a fair weather only rider proper gloves are important. I probably have 12 to 15 pair and none that really do a good job. The best I have came from a little local leather shop but I still need something better. They have to be thin yet well insulated and allow for excellent dexterity. I ride my 4 wheeler hard in the winter when the weather just won't do for riding a bike like in 2 feet of snow and the worst crap imaginable and even mittens do for that because I'm only concerned about throttle and brake levers and not real concerned with brakes. The bike with it's lights, turn signals and such just aren't designed for cold weather use. No matter what glove I use I blow the horn just about every time I use the turn signals. That's why I wear fingerless gloves with jell palms in the summer. Anybody tried anything that they thought worked well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Syko View Post
Since I'm not a fair weather only rider proper gloves are important. I probably have 12 to 15 pair and none that really do a good job. The best I have came from a little local leather shop but I still need something better. They have to be thin yet well insulated and allow for excellent dexterity. I ride my 4 wheeler hard in the winter when the weather just won't do for riding a bike like in 2 feet of snow and the worst crap imaginable and even mittens do for that because I'm only concerned about throttle and brake levers and not real concerned with brakes. The bike with it's lights, turn signals and such just aren't designed for cold weather use. No matter what glove I use I blow the horn just about every time I use the turn signals. That's why I wear fingerless gloves with jell palms in the summer. Anybody tried anything that they thought worked well?
Gerbing G3 heated gloves. Work great.

09 Nomad 1700
07 Shadow vt750c2
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 08:14 AM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Kawasaki Vaquero
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Red
I have seen several comments about the Venture glove liners giving great service. I want to get a pair, but that allowance thing is always an issue.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

The big thing for me is retaining as much dexterity as possible. Liners with yet another pair of gloves defeats that goal. The Gerbing products I've looked at also gave one that michelin man feel. The best I have found so far are a leather outer with a very thin thinsulate liner that is bonded to the inside of the leather. They allow for fair dexterity and feel but I can't help but think someone offers a thin, possibly self contained electrically heated glove. That is my other issue with the Gerbing as they leave you tethered to the bike. Now most of us have a hard enough time remembering to cancel turn signals so I can't imagine it being long before I would forget to unplug when I get off and rip the wiring loose.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 09:15 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to markstep
Check Cabellas, they have hunting gloves operated by battery (D cells). The batteries are contained in a pocket on the Gauntlet. What you will sacrifice is the protection offered by motorcycle gloves.

2003 1500 Meanstreak
Hardchrome pipes
saddle bags
MS hot shot windscreen
Fuel Genies
not sure what else added by p/o
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 09:29 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Here's a link for another option that'll deflect the wind from the hands.

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/ha.../part/NC-N5507
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 09:36 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddyford View Post

I used those last year and recommend them.
The deflectors with a cheap pair of winter motorcycle gloves from cycle gear gave me about 20 to 30 minutes of highway riding at 35F before my hands would hurt.

Scott

2012 Voyager 1700 ---SOLD
Pearl Alpine White/Pearl Luster Beige
Nice

2011 Rocket III Touring
Phantom Black
Naughty

2016 Indian Roadmaster
Thunder Black

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 02:31 PM

I got a pair of Bilt Storm gloves from Cycle gear last week. Rode with them Saturday morning when it was only 35 - 40 degrees, and was pretty pleased. They were still somewhat stiff, but no probs with cold. Have not gotten them wet yet, but they are on sale, and were like $30 or less.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddyford View Post

Believe it or not, I was looking at these goofy looking things at 3 o clock this morning (couldn't sleep) and wondering, should I or shouldn't I. With the gloves I have now and these things I think I might be good but MAN they are goofy looking.

tjhfwtx I mean no offense but I've had Bilt products before and there is a reason they're not very expensive. Hope yours serve you well though.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 05:13 PM

No offense taken. For $20 I will use them while I look for something else/better, and keep them as a backup or passenger pair until they wear out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode