Riding 2up - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Riding 2up

So I bought a 900 Classic and now I have a new girlfriend, she wants a ride on the back of the Vulcan.
I've never ridden 2up before, anything I know regarding safety before she climbs on?

2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic
South Florida year round rider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 06:38 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2006
Displacement/CC's: 750
Color: Red/black
Garage
Yes. First thing is for you to get used to riding your new machine by yourself, first. After you've got it down-pat and you know how it feels to operate with just yourself on it, then you can bring along a passenger. This is important. If it takes a few extra weeks before her riding with you, so be it.

If she's never been a passenger before on a bike take a couple of minutes and give her the boring yet necessary basics: How to get on/off, where to place her feet, how to lean with you, etc. Also how to dress.

For you, when moving at slow-to-no speeds you'll feel it being heavier so be aware of that. You'll find it may take an extra effort to keep it upright if you're stopping when the road is slanted to one side. Once moving it'll be fine. It may take a bit extra to accelerate/slow down or it may not depending on her size.

I once knew a gal that was 4'10" (maybe), 95lbs (maybe) soaking wet and even my 750 didn't know she was there. But until you get her on and feel the difference in how it handles there's not much more to tell you.
bearslayer and floridaguy like this.

Chris Cochran
Retired USAF '74 to '95 AMMO
Engine guard with highway pegs
Luggage rack
GPS on RAM handlebar mount
MCCTs replaced ACCTs
Iridium plugs: DPR7EIX-9
Custom made seat (verrry comfortable)
LED turn signals with rear signals relocated
LED license plate holder
Hard mounted Viking saddlebags
Hard mounted fork tool bag (free from Viking)
LED running lights on custom light bar
National Cycles Low Boy Heavy Duty windshield
Home made lowers

Last edited by VN750Guy**; 08-26-2019 at 06:42 PM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VN750Guy** View Post
Yes. First thing is for you to get used to riding your new machine by yourself, first. After you've got it down-pat and you know how it feels to operate with just yourself on it, then you can bring along a passenger. This is important. If it takes a few extra weeks before her riding with you, so be it.

If she's never been a passenger before on a bike take a couple of minutes and give her the boring yet necessary basics: How to get on/off, where to place her feet, how to lean with you, etc. Also how to dress.

For you, when moving at slow-to-no speeds you'll feel it being heavier so be aware of that. You'll find it may take an extra effort to keep it upright if you're stopping when the road is slanted to one side. Once moving it'll be fine. It may take a bit extra to accelerate/slow down or it may not depending on her size.

I once knew a gal that was 4'10" (maybe), 95lbs (maybe) soaking wet and even my 750 didn't know she was there. But until you get her on and feel the difference in how it handles there's not much more to tell you.
Yeah I want to give myself some time to get the feel for the bike for sure, she has been a passenger before so she knows how to be a passenger and how to dress.
I've watched a few youtube videos that seem to kind of ditto what you said, in addition to checks and adjustments to the bike itself, like tire pressure and suspension adjustment.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 08:26 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2004 Nomad , 1985 BMW K100 X2 , 1985 Intruder, 1998 Ducati Monster, 1972 CL350, 1948 Indian CZ125, 2
Displacement/CC's: 125 -1500
Color: Blue & Silver , Black , Gray , Maroon,black,
Garage
When I got married I never knew that my 90lb bride was on the scooter until we went to the mountains and she tried to climb off the high side, lol. Looking down the mountain side scared her and when she tried to lean away from that side it scared me.

That which does not kill me tends to really piss me off.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 09:24 AM
CRU

Displacement/CC's: 1600
Garage
One of the biggest differences I notice when riding with a passenger is in the braking. The nose will dive harder and stopping will take more time, distance, and effort due to the added weight. Also, I'd avoid I-95 on your first ride. Too many d'bags in high end sports cars treating it like their own personal test track.
floridaguy likes this.

2008 Mean Streak Candy Fire Red
Vance & Hines Big Shots Staggered exhaust
Dyno tuned Power Commander III & K&N air filter
Corbin Young Guns saddle/Kawi Fire & Steel "Touring" Double saddle
Mapam forward controls
Kuryakyn Constellation LED driving lights w/turn signals
Kuryakyn ISO grips w/stiletto end caps
Kawi OEM backrest
Kawi Fire & Steel windshield
Bad Ace Billet handlebar risers
Signal Dynamics BackOFF XP brake light module
Tourmaster Coaster tool bag
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 12:50 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2011 Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Blue/Silver
Garage
My oldest daughter would ride with me quite often in the past, but as she went off to college 6 years ago, that fell by the wayside. now current GF loves to ride with me. She is about 160, but knows how to be an excellent passenger. (and believe me - there are good passengers and bad passengers). Outside of the braking, I really do not know she is back there. Even tho I knew she was a veteran passenger, I still went over the rules I tell anyone that I give a ride to. (note - we do not use a comm-headset)

1. get on/off the left side of bike, and only when I give you the thumbs up
2. do not move around in the seat when I am doing slow maneuvers; it's OK to adjust yourself in the seat when I'm at speed. but give me a double tap on back first so I know
3. lean with me in the curves
4. if you need to talk to me (lean forward to do so) just tap my shoulder twice
5. be a 2nd set of eyes for deer, etc for me. 2 sets of eyes are better than 1. If you see anything that you think I need to see, tap me several times on shoulder (on same side that i need to look) and point. I will find your point
6. I go over with her what everything is on the bike, so she knows what I am doing when she sees my hands and feet at work. just helps her prep better for changes in the ride
7. a small shoulder rub every 50 miles or so is mandatory LOL

real life - first time out take her to the nearest parking lot and practice slow maneuvers with her on bike. Get her use to this. Get a bit up to speed and practice hard braking so you both know what to expect when it has to happen. Then first road trip out, stay on secondary roads that are easy to navigate (minimal stop-lights and stop signs. lower traffic if possible). Allow her to get her confidence up and enjoy the ride for what it is! don't go out on a 2hour ride first time out. keep it to 30mins max and check if she wants to go more. Always communicate! work out your taps and hand signals if you do not have a comm-set. If I'm about to hit a bumpy area in road (transition from road to bridge and back) I double tap her left leg for example.

you will find a few more signals, etc that work for you as you go along
bearslayer and floridaguy like this.

Randy A.
Mechanicsville, VA
2011 Voyager - Blue/Silver - "Addie"
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVA-Voyager View Post
My oldest daughter would ride with me quite often in the past, but as she went off to college 6 years ago, that fell by the wayside. now current GF loves to ride with me. She is about 160, but knows how to be an excellent passenger. (and believe me - there are good passengers and bad passengers). Outside of the braking, I really do not know she is back there. Even tho I knew she was a veteran passenger, I still went over the rules I tell anyone that I give a ride to. (note - we do not use a comm-headset)

1. get on/off the left side of bike, and only when I give you the thumbs up
2. do not move around in the seat when I am doing slow maneuvers; it's OK to adjust yourself in the seat when I'm at speed. but give me a double tap on back first so I know
3. lean with me in the curves
4. if you need to talk to me (lean forward to do so) just tap my shoulder twice
5. be a 2nd set of eyes for deer, etc for me. 2 sets of eyes are better than 1. If you see anything that you think I need to see, tap me several times on shoulder (on same side that i need to look) and point. I will find your point
6. I go over with her what everything is on the bike, so she knows what I am doing when she sees my hands and feet at work. just helps her prep better for changes in the ride
7. a small shoulder rub every 50 miles or so is mandatory LOL

real life - first time out take her to the nearest parking lot and practice slow maneuvers with her on bike. Get her use to this. Get a bit up to speed and practice hard braking so you both know what to expect when it has to happen. Then first road trip out, stay on secondary roads that are easy to navigate (minimal stop-lights and stop signs. lower traffic if possible). Allow her to get her confidence up and enjoy the ride for what it is! don't go out on a 2hour ride first time out. keep it to 30mins max and check if she wants to go more. Always communicate! work out your taps and hand signals if you do not have a comm-set. If I'm about to hit a bumpy area in road (transition from road to bridge and back) I double tap her left leg for example.

you will find a few more signals, etc that work for you as you go along
Great tips, especially like the shoulder rub one!
I will definitely try these with my gf, she has also been a passenger before. I'm going to get used to my new bike before she ever gets on it.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 02:28 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2011 Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Blue/Silver
Garage
I failed to add to earlier reply - you getting use to a passenger is just as important as her getting use to bike and ride
floridaguy likes this.

Randy A.
Mechanicsville, VA
2011 Voyager - Blue/Silver - "Addie"
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 08:13 PM
Lifetime Premium

Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic
Displacement/CC's: 903
Color: Silver
Garage
I would suggest you go get an old girlfriend first that way if she falls off on the highway its no big deal.
MVA-Voyager and CRU like this.

"As long as I have the voices in my head, I'll never ride alone."

2006 Vulcan 900 classic
Mustang Day Tripper seat
Cobra Light Bar
Cobra Air Scoop
Cobra short sissy bar
Cobra Lowers
Baron's front and rear pulley
Baron's Big and Nasty pipes
Leatherlyke hard bags
Blue Superbrites LED accent lights
Chrome Woo Loo Air Horn
Avon Grips
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 10:50 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2007 900
Displacement/CC's: 903
Color: Blus
I recently did a trip across Borneo with my wife on the back, haven't ridden a lot with a passenger and never with her, made sure she knew not to mount or dismount without telling me then went for a decent tide on a country road with no stop start type ridding, after 20kn all was fine, I wouldn't recommend starting in busy town environment with loads of junctions, stop start.
floridaguy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode