Helmet with built in speakers? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Helmet with built in speakers?

Anyone have any recommendations for a full face helmet with speakers that are built in? It doesn't necessariy need to have bluetooth.

Has oneone tried any of the speakers that are made for helmets with any luck?

I currently have an HJC CL-16, which has been ok, but I am not sure if speakers would fit in it.

Thanks!

2000 VN800B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 01:11 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil in Maine View Post
Anyone have any recommendations for a full face helmet with speakers that are built in? It doesn't necessariy need to have bluetooth.

Has oneone tried any of the speakers that are made for helmets with any luck?

I currently have an HJC CL-16, which has been ok, but I am not sure if speakers would fit in it.

Thanks!
The best choice would probably depend on what you need the speakers for.

I use the Sena SMH5 bluetooth for communication with my passenger.

My advice would be to get your helmet and speaker set up separately.
So, if you need to replace one; it doesn't affect the other.

Scott

2012 Voyager 1700 ---SOLD
Pearl Alpine White/Pearl Luster Beige
Nice

2011 Rocket III Touring
Phantom Black
Naughty

2016 Indian Roadmaster
Thunder Black

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I am really only looking for music.

2000 VN800B

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 01:45 PM
Top Contributor

I have the Team Set Pro Scala rider. But they also make a "Solo" and a "FM" version that dose not have communications. The speakers are small. Actually most speakers are rather thin. Can you fit 2 stacked quarters next to you ears in your current helmet? If so then you can get something in there because that is about as big as most of those speakers are. Here is a link to the company site.

http://www.cardosystems.com/scala-rider

As for helmets with built in speakers. I have no idea but It would suck if the speakers quit working in a perfectly fine helmet or you need a new helmet and cant take your audio set up with it.

1985 Honda Nighthawk 650 (First Bike)
2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic (First Big Bike)
2007 Vulcan 1600 Meanstreak (Love Affair)
1999 Yamaha 1100 V-Star Custom (Right Price at the Time)
2008 V2K Classic (Favorite Vulcan)
2014 HD Ultra Limited (Bells and Whistles)
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 02:27 PM
twp

Garage
Im looking for the same thing. I will keep an eye on this thread to see what comes of it.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 04:33 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
I have an HJC Cl-16. I also have a Shark bluetooth setup that was about $100 for a pair. Absolutely surprisingly good. I listen to music, use it as an intercom, etc. Music sounds just fine in the helmet. Not a ton of bass but if you're looking for concert quality you're on the wrong vehicle. Wind noise and bike noise will always dillute and distort your music!

Those speakers fit in it just fine. You just take the inner pads out, attach the speakers using velcro (tip: make sure they rest BELOW the tops of your ear lobes, otherwise when/if you wear glasses/sunglasses, the speakers will press them against the sides of your head and it'll be uncomfortable). Snake the wires around, install the little clamp on the side, and attach the receiver. Piece of cake!

When I'm riding by myself, I bluetooth it to my iPhone and listen to my music. The button on the side will pause the music (like if I hit heavy traffic or something). I could also talk on the phone with it if I really wanted to. I guess it's really no different than using it as an intercom because it answers automatically, there is no phone manipulation or otherwise. Wife called me the other day while I was on a 60 mph road doing about 65 or so. She could tell I was on the bike but could hear me fine. Works good for that too!

Anyway, definitely look into it. You'll spend less than a helmet with speakers built in AND get to keep using a helmet that already fits right. Remember full face helmets all fit differently. Certain brands don't fit me at all, for example, as the 'shape' of the helmet presses on my temples or forehead or otherwise.

Now, my wife has trouble hearing me at interstate speeds (I don't have any trouble at all). I determined the cause was her Xtra Small HJC helmet has much thicker pads than mine does. I ended up cutting out some of the foam where the speakers are and that fixed it.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 06:52 AM

I use Scala Rider G4

I have Scala Rider G4, which was purchased primarily for communications, however it has an FM receiver built in and a port where you can connect an MP3 Player. It is also Blue Tooth capable, however I get on the bike to get away from most of the world so my cell is not linked. The FM has 6 presets (that you preset to favourite stations). Sound is good (full stereo) around town and say up to 80 Kms on the highway. It starts to be drowned out at faster highway speeds due to wind and mechanical noise. I have two HJC Full Face helmats (one modular) and it works well with both. I also have a 3/4 helmet with full face coverage visor and the communications actually works better with it. I think the extra wind noise actually helps stretch the legs of the wind noise cancelling circuit. I wear silicone ear plugs while using the system and have no problems hearing it. The ear plugs do clip the high frequencies of the wind and mechanical noise, however for the most part leave enough of the sound to reasonably enjoy music and communications with other riders.

2009, 900 Vulcan LT Classic
Modifications
Modulating Headlight
Flashing Tail Light
Wolo Bad Boy Air Horn
Kick-back Risers
Custom GPS Holder
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 08:48 PM
Lifetime Premium

Most helmets sold in the last few years have a pocket behind the ear pad for speakers. Riders wearhouse sells a set called "bass monster" that fit as well as any and offer lots more low end response than most any J&M setup. I've put several in helmets, last ones I bought were around $55.00 or so.

'98 800a w/aluminum wheels/tubeless tires
Iron Butt Ass.#34911

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 10:21 PM

I have a Nolan 102 with N-com. Has phones and a boom mic. Nice setup and may work well for many, but not me. With my head shape and that helmet, it seems to fit well but the wind noise is very noticeable, if not loud. I have lost a lot of high frequency hearing so I wear earplugs. With the plugs in, running 0.3 to near 0.4 watts I can only hear music under 30 MPH. I am afraid if I run much more audio power, I will smoke the phones (could not fine a max rating).

Best memory serves, you will get mono, not stereo with the overpriced Nolan MP3 adapter cable (don't quote me - been a long time since I checked).

Besides the incompatibility with my crappy hearing, I like the helmet...

Woody

Woody
KZ4AK, VN2K Classic
Web Site:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode