9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2004/Kawasaki/Vulcan 1600 Classic
Displacement/CC's: 1552
Color: Black
Garage
Shamed for ATGATT

I stopped in a local motorcycle shop (I won't mention the brand, but it they didn't measure engines in CC's) to pick up some windshield cleaner, and when I walked in (Full Hi-Vis jacket, pants, helmet), I was asked if I was there for the "rookie class". I asked why they asked, and was told "only a rookie would wear that".

I'm wondering if that's the attitude I can expect?

I'm sorry, I'm not risking my life and limb to 'fit in' to someone else's opinion of what a 'real biker' should look like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 04:51 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2015 Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Black/Gray
I know! I freaked out my local HD shop a few years ago, when I walked in wearing my Kawasaki riding pants (made by Heine/Gerich). But to be fair, I also used to get looks at my Gold Wing groups, when I wore leather chaps! Just depends on the group!
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 08:37 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2006/ Vulcan 900 classic
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Silver
Listen you wear whatever you want, all these people have stigmas about HD's that they should be the only gear/ motorcycle to have. Where whatever makes you feel comfortable riding in. I wear a full face on my 900 classic and i get looks all the time but you know what IDGAF at all thats what makes me feel as safe as possible

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 09:34 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2015 Voyager
Some people just can't handle the fact that not everybody has the same opinions as they do. I also own a FJR1300 and most fjr owners are atgatt guys and gals. I've been in both camps during my 40 years of riding and I understand both sides of the issue. And as long as I get to decide what I ride and what I wear I'll be a happy biker.
From what I've read and heard more times than not it's the atgatt crowd that does the smack talk about riding gear. Sometimes I dress like a Pirate and other times like a Power Ranger but I don't give a flyin fuc# what other people think. Do what makes YOU happy.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 10:50 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2018 Kawasaki Vulcan Custom
Color: Green
In such an event, I'd recommend politely asking for the person's name and then requesting to speak to the manager on duty; mebbe followed by a little letter to the owner of the dealership stating the reason why you'll likely never return there.
I'd hazard a guess that the offending salesjerk would likely not be there if you did choose to return in the future.
GreatScott likes this.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 10:23 AM

Year/Make/Model: '09 V900 Classic
Displacement/CC's: dead stock
Color: Plasma blue
Absolutely: screw other peep's opinions. So many in HD world are so similar to racists: full of themselves, think their s**t doesn't stink. Oh yeah, it stinks. They are eager to share foolish opinions. Ignore them. My 2 cents.

The Motor Company has fostered and encouraged this smug, know-it-all culture. I wonder if they realize how off-putting it is and how many MC sales it costs them, just because so many people are repelled by the culture, and because of that, the brand.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 10:51 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2018 Kawasaki Vulcan S
Displacement/CC's: 650
Color: White
Quote:
Originally Posted by PappyD View Post
I stopped in a local motorcycle shop (I won't mention the brand, but it they didn't measure engines in CC's) to pick up some windshield cleaner, and when I walked in (Full Hi-Vis jacket, pants, helmet), I was asked if I was there for the "rookie class". I asked why they asked, and was told "only a rookie would wear that".

I'm wondering if that's the attitude I can expect?

I'm sorry, I'm not risking my life and limb to 'fit in' to someone else's opinion of what a 'real biker' should look like.
Some people can only feel better about themselves when they put other people down. Ride your ride Dude.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 10:58 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2006
Displacement/CC's: 750
Color: Red/black
Garage
Enforcer201 said it well, wear whatever YOU feel comfortable wearing.

Chris Cochran
Retired USAF '74 to '95 AMMO
Engine guard with highway pegs
Luggage rack
GPS on RAM handlebar mount
MCCTs replaced ACCTs
Iridium plugs: DPR7EIX-9
Custom made seat (verrry comfortable)
LED turn signals with rear signals relocated
LED license plate holder
Hard mounted Viking saddlebags
Hard mounted fork tool bag (free from Viking)
LED running lights on custom light bar
National Cycles Low Boy Heavy Duty windshield
Home made lowers
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 11:41 AM

Year/Make/Model: '09 V900 Classic
Displacement/CC's: dead stock
Color: Plasma blue
I am a missionary for high viz and reflective material. It is an absolute life saver. Dark and esp. neutral colors blend you in with the road, and at night it is extreme.

So many bad crashes are left turners, pull outs, lane mergers. These drivers are not trying to kill you. They don't see you. You can blame them all the way to the ER if you choose, but you can do things to reduce the instances of that way way down and high viz bike colors and gear are as powerful as handling lane position and other factors to keep you out of cagers' blind spots.

The jury is in on this. It is up to us to put it to use.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 11:50 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Vulcan 900 Custom
Color: Green
I went to an event at a local American brand dealer.

I got all kinds of comments about my "Metric Bike", why do you have training wheels on it?"; don't you want a real mans bike?; what kind of sissy helmet is that?; etc., etc.

I looked at them and said, "Ive been riding, off and on, for 60 years. I ride what I feel like riding, It gets me to and from, just as fast as yours does, and cost about a third of what yours does." I worked in emergency rooms for several years, while getting through college, after 10 years in the Army. I'm old enough to not worry about my choices in riding gear or equipment."

That shut them up pretty damn quickly!

Don't worry about what everyone else thinks, you ride what you want to ride, and you use any and all safety gear that you want,. I wear all that stuff, and I expect to be riding for at least another 10-15 years. It's saved me from a lot of injuries over the years.
longbeachgary likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode