What App do you use for Navigation? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

What App do you use for Navigation?

So I'm looking for an app or process that works. I eventually want to be able to have a specific route i've created be navigated with voice turn-by turn street name. Oh and be able to use Offline navigation, since in many areas i don't have cellular service.

I have been creating my routes on the Motowhere website which seems ok. Then i export as GPX and i've been using OSMAND. I find it is a great app and works pretty much for what i want. The issue is the battery drains faster than it can be charged and they don't seem to have a solution.

i've looked for many other apps Maps.me, Syngic, wave etc.... none appear to be able to do it all.

What do you people use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 03:13 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2010 Kawasaki Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Red/Black
Garage
can't help you w/ an app. my experience w/ using a phone for navigation is that you have to constantly keep the phone charging. this is bad for the battery. worse, w/ the gps, nav app, etc. all running on the phone and charging at the same time, the phone/battery can overheat and shut down at the worst possible time. especially if you live where it gets really hot in summer. i live in Georgia and this was a constant summer issue for me.

i use a dedicated gps (tomtom rider 400) for that reason.

there are phones out now that can handle all that w/ less chance of overheating. i recommend that you investigate your phone's ability to handle high usage while charging w/o overheating.

Installed:
RAM mount for TomTom Rider 400 (with anti theft module)
6000k LED Headlight & Spots; Kisan Headlight Modulator (works with LEDs),
__Brake Light Modulator, LED License Plate Holder
Longer Kickstand
Dobeck EJK 3.0
Lucky Mirror Extenders
Misc. RAM Mounts for Cup Holder, SPOT, Phone, etc.
Chuckster BAK, Trailer Hitch and Cooler Rack
Wiring for Trailer
Ray's Throttle Mod
Things to do:
Drilling Baffle Plates (Maybe)
Paint HF Tag Along Trailer to Match Bike

LET'S RIDE
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 07:07 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan EN500C
Displacement/CC's: 500
I hate to say it but Google Maps. Provides all the functionality you need, and even though it isn't perfect, it is probably the best option. I use it all the time, running earbuds up under my helmet. I plan to install speakers in the helmet but retain a plug for the phone, to avoid the Bluetooth BS.

The great thing about it is that you can lock the phone/shut off the screen and put the phone in your jacket pocket. It's the screen that uses most of the battery and overheats. Once you have your route loaded, the app does not need to use much data or battery really to update the route -- all it's doing is tracking you with GPS. Turn on the voice commands and "she" tells you exactly when to turn, where to go. You can also save offline maps.

I can ride for hours like this with minimal battery usage. Then I charge when I stop if I need to. Again, it's not perfect -- there are times when the app has lost me pretty bad, thinking I'm on the highway when I'm on an access road or something. But all in all, it's the best option I've found.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindog500 View Post
I hate to say it but Google Maps. Provides all the functionality you need, and even though it isn't perfect, it is probably the best option. I use it all the time, running earbuds up under my helmet. I plan to install speakers in the helmet but retain a plug for the phone, to avoid the Bluetooth BS.

The great thing about it is that you can lock the phone/shut off the screen and put the phone in your jacket pocket. It's the screen that uses most of the battery and overheats. Once you have your route loaded, the app does not need to use much data or battery really to update the route -- all it's doing is tracking you with GPS. Turn on the voice commands and "she" tells you exactly when to turn, where to go. You can also save offline maps.

I can ride for hours like this with minimal battery usage. Then I charge when I stop if I need to. Again, it's not perfect -- there are times when the app has lost me pretty bad, thinking I'm on the highway when I'm on an access road or something. But all in all, it's the best option I've found.

Google maps will not follow a pre-created route exactly, it will try and reroute you to fastest route.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 08:59 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan EN500C
Displacement/CC's: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Graham View Post
Google maps will not follow a pre-created route exactly, it will try and reroute you to fastest route.
Ah, now I see what you mean. Yeah, honestly I always hated that about the dedicated GPS systems. Don't they just freak out if you accidentally leave the route and just "recalculate" anyway, creating a new route? What happens if you get lost and can't find the route?

I know the Google Maps browser version allows you to edit the route pretty much however you want, by dragging the lines around, but maybe not phone version. Also it used to "offer" the faster route but you could refuse (if your hands were free). So not that helpful on a motorcycle.

Anyway I'd be interested to know what you come up with because occasionally I have wanted to follow an exact route, too. In that case I have somtimes gone old school and written out the directions and put it in the map pocket of my tankbag. With some pre-trip review you don't need to really stare at it. Most of the time, if i want a "prettier" route, I just choose a random destination and say "avoid highways" on Gmaps.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 11:33 AM

I mounted a Garmin 395LM on my Vaquero. I should really finish the wiring so I can hear the directions through the bike's stereo, but I just look down occasionally. It's got a usable app for your laptop to create routes and download them to the nav unit. It's hardened for the elements and is hard-wired into my bike. Works great.

-John

2016 Vaquero (mostly stock)
2005 VN800B Bobber (Blue Collar Bobbers kits)
1979 KZ650SR
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 03:19 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindog500 View Post
Ah, now I see what you mean. Yeah, honestly I always hated that about the dedicated GPS systems. Don't they just freak out if you accidentally leave the route and just "recalculate" anyway, creating a new route? What happens if you get lost and can't find the route?
dedicated gps or app, they are slaves to the particular algorithm they use to calculate the route. if you go off the calculated route, whatever algorithm that device or app uses will still be used to try to get you from where you are at the moment to the next waypoint or destination. some handle it more gracefully than others. the more waypoints you have, the harder it is to calculate how to get you back on track, because you may have bypassed a waypoint and it will want to force you to go back and pick up that point.

it took a while, but i have learned how to get along better w/ a dedicated gps than w/ any phone app i've tried. 3rd party route planning apps (i really like MyRouteApp) make life much better w/ a dedicated gps, as does planning multiple short routes instead of one long route. i usually save several destination points for a ride, then let the gps calculate each leg of the trip as i go. this usually confuses the gps less when i leave the planned route. the added advantage of this for me is that i can choose different curvyness and/or hilliness of each leg w/ the tomtom rider 400.

Installed:
Longer Kickstand
Dobeck EJK 3.0
Lucky Mirror Extenders
Wiring for Trailer
Ray's Throttle Mod
Things to do:

LET'S RIDE
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

I've been trying the Tom Tom Go Mobile App. Costs around $8/month or ~$30/year, but it is not bad. You can either import a GPX file to MyDrive Tom Tom and modify, or create a route on MyDrive Tom Tom and then sync to your app/phone.

I cant figure out though once i've created a route it seems to convert it to a track on the app and with my phone i can't add stops??

It could be greatly improved, but it seems every app has some areas for improvement.

There is a route bar on the right that tells you the next gas station distance, but i'm not sure it is consistent. I wish it told you all POI coming up or selected. Gas, Parking, Rest Stop, Restaurants if you select them to display along your route.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 12:20 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Graham View Post
I've been trying the Tom Tom Go Mobile App. Costs around $8/month or ~$30/year, but it is not bad. You can either import a GPX file to MyDrive Tom Tom and modify, or create a route on MyDrive Tom Tom and then sync to your app/phone.

I cant figure out though once i've created a route it seems to convert it to a track on the app and with my phone i can't add stops??

It could be greatly improved, but it seems every app has some areas for improvement.

There is a route bar on the right that tells you the next gas station distance, but i'm not sure it is consistent. I wish it told you all POI coming up or selected. Gas, Parking, Rest Stop, Restaurants if you select them to display along your route.
i deleted the tomtom go app from my phone. i hated it.

Installed:
Longer Kickstand
Dobeck EJK 3.0
Lucky Mirror Extenders
Wiring for Trailer
Ray's Throttle Mod
Things to do:

LET'S RIDE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode