Ipod when riding? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Ipod when riding?

A friend of mine rides with buds in his ears and listening to his Ipod. Just wondering if anyone else does that? Seams a bit damgerous to me no? Thoughts....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 01:12 AM
Top Contributor

Do it all the time. Nothing dangerous at all about it. No different that turning your music up loud in the cage. Unfortunately less you're "distracted" By music. I. Which case, you're the hazard if you wear earphones, not the music.

"I taught your boyfriend that thing you like . . . "

Vulcan 900 Classic

Harley Davidson Road King (103")
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 01:15 AM

I also listen to music just about every time I ride.

'97 vulcan 1500 classic carb
vance and hines straight shots

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 08:07 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Have Cycle Sounds handle bar speakers now, but did use ear phones prior to getting them. Dont leave home without my music.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 08:13 AM

Wow. $500-$600 for some speakers is kinda expensive compared to a pair of ear buds or even a $180 Bluetooth helmet (for those of us that believe in head protection).
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 08:37 AM
Top Contributor

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. *shrug* It's not up so loud it's killing nerve endings, so things sound about the same to me as if I were in the cage with the radio on.

BACA Pretzel - Flyin' the highways in OK!
'08 Vulcan 1600 Nomad - "Grace"
Metallic Diablo Black/Candy Fire Red
LED Run/Turn/Brake
Vance and Hines Duals
Dobeck TFI
Kuryakyn Flame grips with Throttle Boss and Stiletto endcaps
Kuryakyn Longhorn offset highway pegs
Vista throttle lock
OEM light bar and luggage rack

B.A.C.A. Member, Oklahoma Chapter

Out to pasture - 2008 Vulcan 900 Custom: Redemption
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 01:32 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
I've got a bluetooth setup in my helmet that I use as an intercom, I also have a cheap set of shark speakers. Both do a decent job with music. Not against earbuds either I've just never found any that were comfortable in my ears! Eventually I'd like a fairing with 6x9 speakers. I can still hear what's going on. The wind is plenty loud and so is the bike, and I can hear emergency vehicles, screeching brakes, car horns, etc. over that! So why not a little music to break up the monotony of a long interstate commute? (Usually when I have music on anyway!)

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 03:14 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
I just started riding with earbuds this year. Let me tell you, it makes a world of difference. Having music makes the low parts of the ride (wind, rain, slab-time) way more bearable, so you're in a much better mood for the places where the ride is enjoyable. In southern ID, you're an hour of straight road through featureless land in almost any direction before you get to some hills or forests or something. Not so bad early on, but the same stretch of highway (93, I84, 30) sure can get dull if you ride it as part of your road trip 10 times a season.

As for the safety, well, most MSF courses recommend earplugs when you ride to protect your hearing from wind noise. I can actually hear better through the earbuds, music and all, than I can through earplugs.

OURS
2011 Victory Cross Roads, crimson red

"There is only one God, and His name is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'not today.'"
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 03:19 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
With the earbuds, they were useless above 35 without the windshield, or above 55 with it. With the speakers good for 50 with shield and above 80 with it on the I-pod, without shield, phone good at 70. Never tried blue tooth.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 04:33 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciferiad View Post
I just started riding with earbuds this year. Let me tell you, it makes a world of difference. Having music makes the low parts of the ride (wind, rain, slab-time) way more bearable, so you're in a much better mood for the places where the ride is enjoyable. In southern ID, you're an hour of straight road through featureless land in almost any direction before you get to some hills or forests or something. Not so bad early on, but the same stretch of highway (93, I84, 30) sure can get dull if you ride it as part of your road trip 10 times a season.

As for the safety, well, most MSF courses recommend earplugs when you ride to protect your hearing from wind noise. I can actually hear better through the earbuds, music and all, than I can through earplugs.
You got it!

My brother in law (who doesn't ride, but always 'thinks' about it) said (when I installed my speakers) "Ah man all you need is a speedometer and a windshield!" commenting on my extra luggage, cupholder, speakers, aftermarket seat, etc.

Well, for an around-towner or a weekend warrior? Sure! But man, I put 20,000+ miles a year on my machine. Some of that (too much) is highway, in the rain, in miserable weather, etc. For those awesome twisty roads on a beautiful day? Oh yeah, don't need anything but a good throttle hand! But these nay-sayers shouldn't knock it until they try it! Long slab stints, or otherwise, are much more enjoyable with some tunes, some ice cold water in the cupholder, and your feet up on the highway pegs! Actually, before, I prefered to be on the interstate in the car. Now, I prefer it on the bike! (Maybe that's why my poor car hasn't gotten any attention!) Gotta love it!

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode