A different helmet question? Buffeting? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

A different helmet question? Buffeting?

New rider with an '03 1600 Classic. Bike has an OEM windshield on it.
I purchased an HJC IS-MAX BT modular helmet. Fit is perfect for me but at speeds over around 60mph there is a buffeting vibration that is distracting to say the least. Almost affects vision until I get used to it. Goes away if I lower my head angle and effectively tuck in behind the windshield. That too is not that comfortable for more than a few minutes.
Helmet is fairly quiet I guess (not much experience with other helmets) and I like the modular design and full face feature but ........... sure would like a helmet that doesn't buffet this bad. Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 09:51 PM
Top Contributor

It sounds more like a windshield issue than a helmet. Is your windshield easilly removeable? You might try a comparison with and without. I'm no expert on windshield height so maybe someone else here can pipe in with a appropriate height suggestion.

post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion but (and there is no way you would ever know this) this is Love Bug season here and there is no way that windshield is coming off!!!
To give you an idea of height of the windshield - I can see over the windshield in my normal seated position. Part of my face and helmet is below it and part above it. If I tuck in below it I can minimize the issue.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 10:15 PM
Top Contributor

It is likely not the helmet or windshield - you need to install windshield lowers to divert the air coming up around the sides of the gas tank and up under your helmet. To check this, move one of your hands (held flat) out over the side of the tank while riding - if you find this changes the buffeting then the lowers will make a huge difference.

2004 Vulcan Classic 1500 - carbed
Grips, Freeway pegs, engine guard
Floorboards, Nomad rear seat,
Custom made luggage rack, Windshield & Lowers
Saddlebags, Passenger floorboards,
Passenger armrests
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 01:17 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
This is a common issue. The answer is windshield lowers.

Try this. Go down the highway at 65 and sit as you normally do, getting the buffeting. Now, take one arm and cover the area between the front of your fuel tank and the windshield. Notice how the buffeting decreases? Air is coming up over the tank creating a turbulent zone behind the windshield. Installing some lowers will all but eliminate this problem for you.

Edit: Whoops! Someone beat me to it.

You have three options with lowers:

1) OEM. Most expensive option usually, but some prefer the look as the brackets and trim matches the OEM windshield.

2) Memphis shades. Cheaper than OEM, small but effective lowers. Find them at JP cycles or other places.

3) Homemade. Search this forum for homemade windshield lowers and the different methods people use to make them. Cheapest option if you're handy!

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Last edited by Romans5.8; 09-17-2012 at 01:20 AM.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

Looks like Memphis shades has a new, longer set of lowers that are around 14" long. Think those should do the trick?
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 01:21 PM
Top Contributor

Just an FYI - bigger may not necessarily be better... I thought that should be the case, and made some new plexiglass blades to replace my smaller OEM blades - they were significantly bigger but didn't work near as well as the OEM.

I would hope that the OEMs and major players (like Memphis Shades) have some testing behind them and work well whatever model you get.

2004 Vulcan Classic 1500 - carbed
Grips, Freeway pegs, engine guard
Floorboards, Nomad rear seat,
Custom made luggage rack, Windshield & Lowers
Saddlebags, Passenger floorboards,
Passenger armrests
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Well, kinda' looks like I am down to the NC or the longer 14" Memphis shades and be a Guinea Pig. Anyone know if the NC's will fit with an OEM windshield?
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Update. This is getting a little more confusing.
Called both Memphis shades and National Cycle this morning and both companies tell me thier products will not work with my windshield. Only their windshield. National cycle stated that neither of their chrome deflectors will be able to utilize the OEM bolt pattern. Will only work with their windshield and mounts.
Went to Cruiser customizing and it looks like the OEM deflectors are discontinued in their website.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappyman View Post
Update. This is getting a little more confusing.
Called both Memphis shades and National Cycle this morning and both companies tell me thier products will not work with my windshield. Only their windshield. National cycle stated that neither of their chrome deflectors will be able to utilize the OEM bolt pattern. Will only work with their windshield and mounts.
Went to Cruiser customizing and it looks like the OEM deflectors are discontinued in their website.
I have a post on here titled "lowers links and options" universal lowers. I haven't got mine yet from scootworks (oh no) but that's why I post the information. So guys see it! Go look!

Sent from my PG06100 using Motorcycle.com Free App

Never give up,
Never give in,
Passion is all you need,
Ride 'till
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vulcan 900
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode