Cold Weather Gear - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 07:04 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Cold Weather Gear

Well, I woke up this morning and had to make my way to work. I'm a shift worker and have to be there for 5am. As per my usual routine, I check out the thermometer, and low and behold 1.8 C or about 35 F
Its that time of year up here in Canada, the cold is coming.
Just throwing this out there, what kind of gear do you guys where for those chilly rides?

Slade
2012 Vulcan 900 Custom Special Edition

OEM Black Engine Guard
Vance & Hines Twin Slash Staggered Black Exhaust
Kuryakyn Black ISO Grips
Custom Dynamics Smoked Turn Signal Lenses
Custom Dynamics Black LED Tag Bolts
HID 55W Slim Ballast H4 H/L @6000K
Smoked Taillight Lens with LED light board
Undertank Orange LED Accent Lighting
Black Blinker Buckets and Taillight Bezel
OEM Mirrors Painted Black
Black Highway Hawk Gothic Arch Sissy Bar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 04:37 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMoscrip View Post
Well, I woke up this morning and had to make my way to work. I'm a shift worker and have to be there for 5am. As per my usual routine, I check out the thermometer, and low and behold 1.8 C or about 35 F
Its that time of year up here in Canada, the cold is coming.
Just throwing this out there, what kind of gear do you guys where for those chilly rides?
Wow, that's cold. It's 102○F here in So. Calif. Too hot to ride. Need a happy medium, say 70○ sounds great. Maybe another month or so when Ican start wearing warmer gear.

"Freedom is Loving what you do, and the ability to Pursue It!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 900 Classic
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 06:24 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to markstep
Same weather here in Geraldton Ontario. Was +1 here this am. All I have added so far is a pair of Skidoo gloves and a full face helmut. But soon will be getting out the long johns and a skidoo jacket
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	th_d3407dd8[1] (2).jpg
Views:	72
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	13313  

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 06:35 PM

being from up north, i have figured out a few things about riding in the cold.

now i know how wonderful heated gear is an all, but if you are not ready for that investment, this is what you can do:

1) layers, layers keep the heat in better than a big fluffy sweater and you won't look as goofy and no one is gonna see your long johns... unless you want them too.

2) cut the wind, top layer should be a windbreaker of sorts, this will keep the wind from taking away all the heat your body built up and the layers are trying to hold on to. this includes your legs. zippers are a huge source of air getting in.

3) gloves and boots, the further away these are to your core, the colder they get and the more miserable you feel. get good boots, great socks and great gloves! i had a really rugged pair of snowboarding gloves that i felt would be great for snowmobiling. anyhows, they were my winter pair until a buddy of mine walked away with them after i let him borrow it for a ski trip. get good gauntlet style gloves... some people layer their hands but i felt that i have less feel over throttle control. after a red light incident involving soiled undergarments (see #1), i stopped layering gloves and just wore one big glove. BTW, there exists warm motorcycle gloves that are not heated, i just happened to have these gloves already.

4) face time, covering your neck and face can be tricky, i found a polypropylene balaclava to wear underneath my full face helmet. it was so hot that i only wore it when it was less than 10 below freezing. other times i just used a neck warmer that i used for skiing/boarding.

5) stay dry. nuff said. cold and wet is uber miserable... this includes sweating at stoplights only to freeze once you start moving again. so dress warm, but don't over do it.

6) check your tire pressures and use the proper oil when you change it for the winter. but you already do that anyways.

get out there and enjoy the cooler weather, less bugs, clearer weather and just think, cold air = more dense air = more power!

95' 88
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 06:45 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Kawasaki Vaquero
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Red
Come to Tennessee! Sixty in the morning, eighty when I get off work. Wasn't that way a month ago, however. And in another month I'll be breaking out my gear as well. Crazy88 hit it on the head. Layers is the real trick. Then you also have the advantage of being able to peel off a layer or two when it warms up and still be comfy. That doesn't work so well when all you have is one OMG winter coat on!

Oh, seeing how you folks in Canada are already used to the cold and all, mind keeping it a little closer to your side? Then I could really ride year 'round!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 08:27 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Full face helmet is a big big plus hear. I see all of these guys riding around in their half helmets with bandannas, scarves, all sorts of knick nacks. For cold weather, seriously consider a good full face with a chin curtain (or get a chin curtain with it) to seal you out of the wind.

2- Good heavy leather gloves, lined with something warm and stuff. Another big plus is wind deflectors on my handlebars

3- Liner that was included with my riding jacket, in addition to a sweatshirt. Jeans, long johns, overpants, boots, and over-boots.

4- A scarf my wife made me! Tucks in my jacket and into my helmet so I have a nice warm neck!

5- A TALL windshield, if you don't already have one, makes a tremendous difference (or a fairing- better yet). BUT, make sure it's still low enough you can see over it. When it's really cold (at least in humid Missouri) mine tends to frost over and fog up as I ride (especially if I am riding at low speeds, like in town or in traffic, for a while).

And that's about it! That's my routine for 35F weather. Yeah it's a lot of work. Someone the other day asked me (asking me the same question actually, if I was done riding now that cooler weather was coming... heck no! I rode to my grandmothers house on Christmas Day last year!) "Is it even worth riding when you have to spend 20 minutes putting all that stuff on?" I just grinned and said "Yyyyup!"

When it gets cold I do tend to commute in the car more than the bike but, I don't give up for sure. If there isn't any ice, I'm on the road!

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 08:31 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Great tips guys. Will definitely try these over the winter months here. I like to ride when its colder, but once I get into altitude it can be tough.

"Freedom is Loving what you do, and the ability to Pursue It!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 900 Classic
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 08:32 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco View Post
Great tips guys. Will definitely try these over the winter months here. I like to ride when its colder, but once I get into altitude it can be tough.
One of my 'pipe dream' bikes is a dual sport side car rig with a HUGE fairing and tons of wind deflectors for riding in the snow and ice here Then I'd only need to take a car if I had something to haul! (Or was too lazy to suit up, hehe)

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 09:38 PM
Top Contributor

Windshield, lowers and covers for your highway bars. Those will do wonders for you.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for all the discussion!
I know that this won't apply to everyone on this forum, but riding is new to me this year and I just wanted to get some opinions.

I'm already doing the full face helmet bit..... see link
I got the good gloves, and my Joe Rocket which is a great jacket for wind and the quilted insert is great.
My feet and everything else is good, I'm just having leg issues. I totally haven't thought about long johns, stupid right? I've been scouring the local shops for a good textile pant, just can't seem to like them when they're on me.
Costco here I come.

Slade
2012 Vulcan 900 Custom Special Edition

OEM Black Engine Guard
Vance & Hines Twin Slash Staggered Black Exhaust
Kuryakyn Black ISO Grips
Custom Dynamics Smoked Turn Signal Lenses
Custom Dynamics Black LED Tag Bolts
HID 55W Slim Ballast H4 H/L @6000K
Smoked Taillight Lens with LED light board
Undertank Orange LED Accent Lighting
Black Blinker Buckets and Taillight Bezel