Full Face...... My Choice - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Full Face...... My Choice

I have made the choice to always ride with a full face helmet...

Make what you want of that, but I feel much safer. A coworkers husband got cut off in town here by a tractor trailer turning left in front of him, and the only real injuries he had were to his face. He is just finishing his fourth round of surgeries. Needless to say, this could have almost been done away with , if he was wearing a full face, or at least a modular helmet.

My first bike.....
A 1996 Ninja 500

And the helmet that I choose....
A HJC IS-MAX BT

I wanted modular for my first helmet to help overcome that claustropohbic feeling with an easy face plate lift. White was on purpose for pure visability reasons and I was told its cooler in the sun...... different argument for a different post! Plus the built in sun visor is awesome!

Well my wife surprised me with this beauty this summer.
A 2012 Vulcan 900 Custom Special Edition

Awesome bike, and I've always wanted a cruiser. This baby was made for me!
But to be truthful, I wasn't feeling the helmet anymore....
And, I hate to say it, but it was for pure vanity reasons.
Those half helmets sure look cool, but I just can't do it.

Well one of the local bike dealers in town had their end of the season yard sale, and I found the perfect helmet to solve all my problems.
Cool looking, full face, and flows with the bike.
An Icon Airframe Infernal

Awesome fit, great airflow, and even safer with the SNELL Certification.
The only thing I miss is the sun visor, but my shades fit in there without a problem.

I can have my cake and eat it to.

Slade
2012 Vulcan 900 Custom Special Edition

OEM Black Engine Guard
Vance & Hines Twin Slash Staggered Black Exhaust
Kuryakyn Black ISO Grips
Custom Dynamics Smoked Turn Signal Lenses
Custom Dynamics Black LED Tag Bolts
HID 55W Slim Ballast H4 H/L @6000K
Smoked Taillight Lens with LED light board
Undertank Orange LED Accent Lighting
Black Blinker Buckets and Taillight Bezel
OEM Mirrors Painted Black
Black Highway Hawk Gothic Arch Sissy Bar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 11:35 PM

couple months ago a car pulled out in front of my buddy and he face planted at 50mph into is fairings, don't ask me How he managed that one but... his face was pretty much trashed. Broken cheeks and nose, he even got a set of dentures out of the deal. He is back riding today, "with" full face protection this time. I prefer the half helmet look, but full protection is a good thing and peace of mind for your loved ones

1997 Vulcan 1500 Classic (carb)

"The true Man wants two things, danger and play. Therefore he chooses woman, the most dangerous plaything."... Nietzsche
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 01:04 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Did I happen to mention that I got that Icon helmet brand new in box for $50 at the clearance sale.......

Slade

OEM Black Engine Guard
Kuryakyn Black ISO Grips

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 10:25 AM

Congrats on the helmet! I had a bad bike wreck in march where I flipped my bike 3 times. Sustained numerous amounts of damage to the rest of my body, but my FF saved my life. Won't ride w out it now.

You're making a good choice to wear one. I always say to each his own but for me the helmet is the only choice.

FYI locally there has been 3 mc wrecks in the last month. All 3 riders weren't wearing helmets and all 3 sustained severe head trauma that would have not occurred if only wearing a helmet.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
DOT standards is the minimum here by law. I live in central British Columbia, Canada and that just changed this year. Before that all that was required was to wear a helmet, but it didnt have to be anything special. A peice of cardboard strapped to your head met the requirement.

Slade

OEM Black Engine Guard
Kuryakyn Black ISO Grips
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 02:11 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
I love my full face. I'm not a 'you're an idiot if you don't' kind of guy, wear what you want. But I think everyone should at least TRY a quality, correctly fit full face (not your buddies old helmet his buddy gave him!). I find that mine is more comfortable than some 3/4 helmets I've worn 4-wheeling. The protection from the elements is nice, and with the visor open (wearing safety glasses) and vents open I get tons of airflow. And when I come around a corner and see a huge swarm of bugs or flying debris, one click slap and my visor is down and I'm sealed out of it!

So for me it's more than just the protection aspect, I think it makes the ride (ESPECIALLY long distance, lots of miles in one day riding) more enjoyable. I've got a handful of 500+ mile days on my 900 and I can't imagine doing them without a FF. It'd be as bad as going without a windshield!

I also try to buy helmets that are rated above and beyond DOT, or at the very least is from a reputable manufacturer. All that is required for the DOT standard is for the manufacturer to 'claim' they did the tests required. Helmets (Especially half helmets, as it's difficult to maintain the standard AND be low profile, since those are on the edge of coverage) have been pulled from the shelves before when it was determined they didn't meet DOT standards and the company failed to properly test them. But, that doesn't do anything for all of the riders who bought them who might find out the hard way their helmets didn't actually meet DOT standards. That's why I like third part independent testing (Like Snell, which is how my helmet is rated). Or at the very least, a company I can trust to have actually COMPLETED the testing. (Icon, HJC, Shoei, Arai, etc.) People whose reputation is on the line too much to have the embarrassment of selling a helmet that was below the DOT standard (which isn't much).

Of course, just because something doesn't have a third party rating doesn't mean it doesn't meet those, it just means the manufacturer didn't spent the time or money having it tested by an outside agency. But it is nice to have the peace of mind that my helmet model was tested by someone other than the manufacturer to well exceed DOT specs.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Last edited by Romans5.8; 09-09-2012 at 02:16 PM.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 02:23 PM
Lifetime Premium

I only ride with a full-face helmet, but it's a modular. It's much easier to put on while wearing glasses. I think that structurally they're probably not as good as a solid one, but I'll take that compromise. BTW, If anyone has a recommendation for a really good modular, I would like to hear it
Thanks!

Ron in Cincinnati

Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
.........Bob Seger
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 02:34 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacomutt View Post
I only ride with a full-face helmet, but it's a modular. It's much easier to put on while wearing glasses. I think that structurally they're probably not as good as a solid one, but I'll take that compromise. BTW, If anyone has a recommendation for a really good modular, I would like to hear it
Thanks!
You know, I kind of want a modular too. For the laziest reason in the world. (I don't need it for sunglasses I found some awesome thin plastic ones that I just stick on once the helmet is on).

But, now that my bike is configured in such a way I can ride from tank to tank, I kinda want to be able to flip it up and take a drink of water or something while I'm cruising along the interstate! hehe.

I'm interested to see what the actual crash-test results are on a modular. Plenty of them are Snell, et al, rated.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 04:05 PM
Top Contributor

Switched to FF about 20 years ago. Lower half locks in place until you pull the latch to rotate up, both clear and tinted visors can be used alone or together, lots of air vents, red LED lightson rear of helmet than can burn steady or flash for night driving. Can also buy wireless that lights the LED's when brakes are applied. Pricey but dealer cut price as part of deal with bike. Saw several graphs showing where most motorcycle head injuries occur. The majority, about 1/4, are facial, in the jaw area. Was enough for me to switch to FF.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 05:06 PM

I'm on my second vega modular. The first one did its job. Lol I bought the 2nd one due to once you've been in a wreck with one it's best to replace it from what I heard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode