speed - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2017 vulcan 900 custom
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: black
speed

on multi-lane roads, and freeways, etc. i try to move slightly faster than the pace of traffic, for safety reasons. this past week, i was on vacation with a buddy who will never go faster than -5mph below the speed limit. it's pretty scary! people fill the gap in front of you with little care to how close. you spend the entire ride in the back wash of semis. anyone stuck behind you curses your name to the gods of the road.

i'm just wondering what the rest of you do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 10:34 PM
Premium Member

Garage
ummmmmmmm, Mr. cheezyridr, sir? Y'all need to find yerself a different buddy 'cause that one is going to get you killed if he doesn't buy it first! 5mph under posted is, IMNSHO, a deadly mistake. The speedo on my bike reads 5mph / 8kph slower than real speed. IOW, when my speedo says I am doing 70mph I am, in fact, and verified by GPS, only doing 65mph. So on a posted 70mph hwy, if I was going 5 under at 65mph I would only be doing 60. You might as well run me over with a paving packer at that speed! Sheesh!

Your philosophy fits more with my chosen plan of keeping up with fast moving traffic at all costs, Stay the heck out of cages blind spots, keep your eyes and head moving at all times and drive as if every muther out there was trying to run you over. Cagers are already impatient as all get out and they will not take too kindly to ANY motorized vehicle travelling under the posted speed unless it is an RV or some other type of heavy piece of road machinery.

Cheers!

Mike

2008 VN1600 NOMAD. Only 2,400 miles when I bought it in June of 2015. Everything stock for now, mods to come including the Big Three.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 07:06 AM
END OF YEAR BIKE 2018 Winner

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Classic LT (Buffy)
Displacement/CC's: 903
Color: Blue/Silver/Chrome
Garage
If your buddy is concerned about safety, then he needs to brush up on it! By his actions he is creating safety hazards! There are plenty of books and courses that teach riders where to ride safely in heavy traffic conditions. You should point him in those directions before he ends up with the wheels up and head down!

...On a Steel Horse I ride...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode