Textile Vs. Leather - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Textile Vs. Leather

I started riding about a year or so ago. Bought all the gear in textile. On the plus side, my textile gear is both protective and water proof. That being said, I feel a bit "outside" the culture by not wearing leather.

I think I know what most of you would say, just hard for me to invest in a second set of riding gear.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 01:54 PM
Top Contributor

If you wanna get leather, get leather. I prefer textile (actually a pretty cheap one) for 4 years or so. Love the zipper vents for warm, liner for cold, armor for just in case.

Just reread my post. Didn't mean it to sound snotty - just meant, if you want leather, get leather

'06 Concours C10
'04 1600 Classic - Gone
PGR #192992

Ride Reports Blog
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by angelo; 08-26-2012 at 02:38 PM.
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 02:00 PM
Top Contributor

I got denim Draggin' Jeans with Kevlar lining. Also got the hip and knee inserts but haven't used them. Got some heavy suspenders from Tractor Supply to hold the Jeans up. Looking forward to denim Draggin' jacket next month.

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 04:29 PM
zig
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Thinking leather is more of a harley tradition taken on by other riders, now that harley parts are being made in China, I'd say give it a little while longer, textiles will become more popular. LOL
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 04:45 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
I much prefer textile myself. Leather lacks armor (usually) where textile usually has it. And a good, modern, textile setup offers nearly the same protection.

Plus, you'll be glad you've got that textile when the temps hit the triple digits!

But, if you want leather get it! Certainly nothing wrong with it. I got a nice leather jacket at a bike show for $30 used. You can find deals! I don't ever ride with that jacket I just use it for a winter coat, but, point being, it can be found!

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 04:47 PM
Top Contributor

I think leather is still the best protection from road rash but textile is good and a helluva lot better than nothing but a tee shirt, and might be cooler too. That said, my leather jacket has zip out textile side panels that go all the way from wrist to waist on each side (Joe Rocket Sonic 2.0). My riding over pants are textile (Rocktex??).

Last edited by whoaru99; 08-26-2012 at 04:52 PM.
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 05:06 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post
I think leather is still the best protection from road rash but textile is good and a helluva lot better than nothing but a tee shirt, and might be cooler too. That said, my leather jacket has zip out textile side panels that go all the way from wrist to waist on each side (Joe Rocket Sonic 2.0). My riding over pants are textile (Rocktex??).
Absolutely. No man made fabrics Can out do leather of similar thickness and weight. But some heavy textile (not mesh) can come close. A general rule of thumb us anything above 600 denier (1000D+ if possible), solid, not mesh, will offer ample abrasion protection even at highway speeds. Ive read 1000 denier thick textile materials made from stuff like Carboflex and Kevlar have 90% the abrasive strength of leather the same thickness.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 08:30 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post
That is probably why the armor got started, I imagine.

'06 Concours C10
'04 1600 Classic - Gone
PGR #192992

Ride Reports Blog
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 09:18 PM
Top Contributor

FWIW, that leather jacket has shoulder, elbow, and back armor too.
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 10:01 PM

Leather Chaps ?

My next gear purchase will likely be for pants. So I'm looking around and am interested in this thread. What do you all think about leather chaps to go over your regular jeans? Are there chaps with knee and/or hip armor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode