rain gear - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
gte

rain gear

Last year I bought a set of Frogg Togg Road Toad rain gear and finally had to use it for the first time yesterday, with mixed results. The bottoms of the legs were soaked but that doesn't concern me too much as I plan on getting something like gators to cover my boots. But the seat got wet. Seems like some rain must have pooled in the seat and it eventually soaked through. Has anybody else had this problem? Just about all the reviews I have read were good. I'm wondering if this pair is defective or if it's a known issue. Either way I'll probably try to exchange them for something else
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 06:17 PM
Top Contributor

Worn mine for years without issue. Tape or put some elastic around the legs over the boots. The wind will drive the rain up & under the toggs.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 07:45 PM

I'm 6'4 so no raingear fits me in the legs. I just bought some overboots that covers your boots and goes up your leg enought to complete the coverage. They velcro together all the way up the back. Boots are no longer waterproof so that was added bonus...

Might be better option than gators.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 11:40 PM
Top Contributor

I've seen leggings/gaiters someplace... I'll do some searching.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
gte

I did some experimenting with the Frogg Toggs last night and couldn't get any water to soak through the seat so I'll give them another chance. The overboots or some sort of leggings will be my next purchase!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 10:37 AM
Top Contributor

I never had time to get the legs on, so I quit carrying them. I buy the thinnest raingear I can find so it rolls up tight and don't take much room in the bags. I carry the jacket only. If I ride in the rain without a jacket I freeze. They also come in handy for winter riding. Keeps the wind out of your other jackets.

They have gaiters at Amazon, pay close attention to the sizing and reviews. I bought one pair that was a large and it was way too small for me. Had to return it. Then later I found one that would fit around my leg and boots for around $24.

If you have trouble finding gaiters you can PM me and I will search down the one I bought at Amazon.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 05:13 PM
Top Contributor

The link below are the ones I bought. They are the only ones I could find to fit around my size 12 boot and leg. They have a hook on the front, that hooks onto your shoe laces which is one reason I kept them. The bottom strap that wraps around your boot is crap and I took it off and threw it away. The strap was a joke, the rest of the Gaiters are excellent.

I'm thinking if need be I can run some shoe laces under my boot and sew a loop onto the gaiters. I've been riding with them without the bottom tie and they stay put so far. Maybe if you had a skinny upper calf they might ride up, don't know.

They are waterproof but obviously some water will run in the top from wet pants exposure. But they help keep the boots from being "soaked as bad" as without them.

The front attachment is velcro. Would have rather had a zipper, but it has worked good so far. At $24 they were cheaper than some I saw that were no better.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
gte

Thanks for the link! I will definitely check them out.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 02:10 PM
Top Contributor

My wife and I were riding in the NC mountains and the sky started to turn black. Pulled into a K-Mart in Ashville and got two inexpensive clear rain suits in a bag. We ended up riding in the rain and the only thing that got wet was my boots. Had the suits rolled up tight and with us on the Outer Banks. Rode back to Florence in the rain. Again, only my boots got wet. The Cavalcade had a windshield that kept direct blowing rain off us. But I'll never buy an expensive rain suit unless I'm living in an area where there is an unusual amount of frequent heavy rain.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 04:53 PM
Top Contributor

Well I've used cheap Home Depot construction rain suits before, but the buttons will tear loose after enough exposure to wind. I also don't pay much for rainsuits but I would recommend getting one that is designed for a "motorcycle". They are made to withstand wind abuse better.

Some of those suits in non motorcycle outlets are not designed for wind. Check their specs out first before you buy.

www.leatherup.com has some great deals on rains suits. I got mine for $30 on sale. It's a Vulcan brand and it's just as durable as my wife's Nelson Rigg suit, which was more money. Then Nelson Riggs suit is heaveir material but I don't like that. They are harder to roll up tight in the bags. As long as it will hold up to the wind you don't need them any thicker and heavier.

Some of them come with a webbed liner. I always cut them out. They just make it hard to turn them inside out and hose the sweat off um. And they dry slower with the webbing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode