Sena SMH10 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Sena SMH10

Just received a set of Sena SMH10 Bluetooth intercom dual set. I like the way it attaches to to the helmet, setup with my Iphone is a breeze, Sound quality is good, So whats not to like??

I have not had a chance to try the intercom yet, just been trying out the Mp3 Stereo functions but I already have some serious reservations. When riding at speeds over 60mph it is already pretty loud inside my 3/4 helmet with shield (HJC IS-33). Now to overcome all that noise with even louder music makes me afraid of damaging my hearing! I tried wearing earplugs to combat the wind noise but now I can't hear the music either.

How have you guys handles this dilemma? A windshield would probably help cut some of the noise but don't want to go there yet.

09 900 Custom SE
Both SW Pulleys
Mustang Seat
Cafe Windshield

Phoenix AZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 07:44 PM

Have had mine about 3 months now. We use it to talk to each other only. Is paired to my phone but haven't received a call when riding yet. We both wear half helmets so there is wind noise as you would guess. I ordered the one to use with earbuds and I like it. My wife has the add on pouches that slip into the groove of the helmet. So far so good we can talk and ride. Wind yes but it's because of the half helmets. We like them.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 08:20 PM

Garage
We've had our Sena intercoms for a couple of years and highly recommend them, especially with the latest firmware upgrade. Be sure to log on to the support site and download the latest firmware if you haven't done so yet.

I wear these custom fit ear plugs from Cabelas . They are molded to the outside of your ear so they are very comfortable. They don't block a lot of sound, but they do cut the wind noise. It is pretty cheap and easy to try and you aren't out much if they don't work for you. BTW, you don't have to use the cord as shown in the picture. I don't, that way they fit perfectly flat under the helmet.

Last edited by RainDragon; 08-17-2012 at 08:23 PM.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 08:26 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
I have the Sena SMH5 and like it a lot.

At highway speed, wind noise is an issue.

I solved it with Etymotics (musicians) ear plugs. The fit is a little large, but they work well for me.

Here is the link.
http://www.etymotic.com/hp/er20.html

Here is a link to a thread about them.
https://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=26980

Scott

2012 Voyager 1700 ---SOLD
Pearl Alpine White/Pearl Luster Beige
Nice

2011 Rocket III Touring
Phantom Black
Naughty

2016 Indian Roadmaster
Thunder Black

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-18-2012, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

I have a set of Etymotics ear plugs, upgraded the firmware and am going on a few hundred mile ride tomorrow. Should be all set, hope they work well. I will let you know!

09 900 Custom SE
Both SW Pulleys
Mustang Seat
Cafe Windshield

Phoenix AZ
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Review

Had a great trip into the Arizona mountains and here is my thoughts on the Sena SMH10's

Wind noise was definitely a problem although I suspect any such product would have the same problem. If my passenger cupped her hand over the mic while we talked and mine was tucked behind my face shield we could have short comments or conversations but generally waited until we slowed down enough to use them for conversation.

I tried using the Etymotics earplugs which made talking and music much easier. My problem with those is the plastic tip stick too far out of my ear and pressed on the speaker making it quite uncomfortable. I tried regular foam earplugs but they blocked out too much sound making conversation or music impossible.

Like I said before they always connected to my phone quickly and easily and are easy and intuitive to use with good sound quality. Thanks raindragon for the firmware tip, definitely improved the product with respect to control, setup and usability.

While this review sounds negative its really not meant to be that way. I was really quite happy with them. I think I just haven't found the right earplugs yet to make these work to their potential. I also believe that if you had a full windshield to help block the wind you wouldn't have as much trouble as I am having.

The SMH10's do exactly what they claim to do and I would recommend them if you are looking for a cheaper alternative to the Scala systems. In fact I have read several reviews that rate the Sena superior to Scala at a cheaper price.

09 900 Custom SE
Both SW Pulleys
Mustang Seat
Cafe Windshield

Phoenix AZ
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 10:49 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Lowers: What a Difference

I am getting my 9 ready to sell/trade.
I took off my windshield lowers and WHOA! What a difference.

The wind noise was so bad, even with my Etymotics, my wife and I could not have a conversation at 70mph.

I am not sure if lowers would look that good on the custom, but they made a huge difference in the wind noise.

Scott

2012 Voyager 1700 ---SOLD
Pearl Alpine White/Pearl Luster Beige
Nice

2011 Rocket III Touring
Phantom Black
Naughty

2016 Indian Roadmaster
Thunder Black

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 10:58 AM
Top Contributor

My wife and I use the Cardo Scala Rider Team Set Pro intercoms and we have not had a problem with wind noise at highway speeds but we also wear full face helmets. I do not have a windshield on my V2K either. But I can tell if the mic is positioned too low in the helmet because of the wind noise i picks up. They also came with larger wind socks to use with open face helmets. The mics on ours only has openings on one side when you take the sock off. make sure it is turned the right way. Maybe try some denser foam for a wind sock or maybe lay some tape on the wind side of the mic to block some wind. Or maybe a thin piece of plastic zip tied to the boom to block wind. I have never tried any of these ideas but I have herd of other doing it. Remember it is hear say. Don't blame me if it don't work.

1985 Honda Nighthawk 650 (First Bike)
2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic (First Big Bike)
2007 Vulcan 1600 Meanstreak (Love Affair)
1999 Yamaha 1100 V-Star Custom (Right Price at the Time)
2008 V2K Classic (Favorite Vulcan)
2014 HD Ultra Limited (Bells and Whistles)
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 08:56 PM

Just got the new Cardo Scala Rider G9. Did the software upgrade immediately upon returning home. So far it works great. Easy to use and to make and recieve phone calls is a piece of cake. Most functions are voice actuated so both hands are on the grips while operating it. Radio has plenty of volume and the volume goes up and down as ambient noise (wind) increases or decreases.

2003 Vulcan 1600 Classic.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 08:38 AM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2017 Kawasaki Vaquero
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Red
I use the SMH10 in a full face. I've had many phone calls, not once did I have a caller realize that I was riding down the road, sometimes at high speed. I've also used them for communications with my son-in-law on rides together. Great clarity, easy to use and control.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode