Half helmets who has the real smallest half helmet - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By hvmontoya
  • 1 Post By hvmontoya
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
hvmontoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Socal
Year/Make/Model: 2013 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 903cc
Color: Black and white
Gender: Male
Posts: 46
Garage
Half helmets who has the real smallest half helmet

So currently I wear the Shoei Rf1200 love the helmet, but found it a pain when I go to the gym or to the super market. So I started looking at half helmets and seems like everyone claims they are the "smallest helmet in the world". Anyone have any personal experience with either Crazy al's, AKoury, bad ass, or ride eazy helmets? Which one of these is truly the smallest lol. Any help would be great.
TraumaRN likes this.
hvmontoya is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 08:35 AM
Top Contributor
 
VN750Guy**'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Fredrickson Washington
Year/Make/Model: 2006
Displacement/CC's: 750
Color: Red/black
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,077
Garage
Haven't a clue. I go more for protection and comfort than size. I always lock mine down and leave it with the bike.

The only thing I worry about is getting bird poop in it when its hanging there.

Chris Cochran
Retired USAF '74 to '95 AMMO
Engine guard with highway pegs
Luggage rack
GPS on RAM handlebar mount
MCCTs replaced ACCTs
Iridium plugs: DPR7EIX-9
Custom made seat (verrry comfortable)
LED turn signals with rear signals relocated
LED license plate holder
Hard mounted Viking saddlebags
Hard mounted fork tool bag (free from Viking)
LED running lights on custom light bar
National Cycles Low Boy Heavy Duty windshield
Home made lowers
VN750Guy** is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 10:26 AM
Senior Member
 
D-Dub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Mid- MI
Year/Make/Model: 2015 Voyager
Posts: 324
Wife and I both have the SOA with Peak from Crazy Al's. No idea if theses are the smallest/lightest helmets but they are a helluva lot smaller/lighter than anything else I've ever seen. And they are DOT approved. Obviously these don't offer the protection of a FF helmet but they serve their purpose well.

Fitment wise I'd call them oval shaped and they run a bit large.

These helmets are not much bigger or heavier than those plastic tupperware bowl "helmets" you see at novelty stores but these offer actual protection and are legal.
D-Dub is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
hvmontoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Socal
Year/Make/Model: 2013 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 903cc
Color: Black and white
Gender: Male
Posts: 46
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Dub View Post
Wife and I both have the SOA with Peak from Crazy Al's. No idea if theses are the smallest/lightest helmets but they are a helluva lot smaller/lighter than anything else I've ever seen. And they are DOT approved. Obviously these don't offer the protection of a FF helmet but they serve their purpose well.

Fitment wise I'd call them oval shaped and they run a bit large.

These helmets are not much bigger or heavier than those plastic tupperware bowl "helmets" you see at novelty stores but these offer actual protection and are legal.
I pulled the trigger and got the SOA without the peak from crazy al's, hopefully it doesn't have that horrible mushroom head as bad as some of the others I have tried on. I have heard nothing but good stuff from them.
D-Dub likes this.
hvmontoya is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
hvmontoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Socal
Year/Make/Model: 2013 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 903cc
Color: Black and white
Gender: Male
Posts: 46
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VN750Guy** View Post
Haven't a clue. I go more for protection and comfort than size. I always lock mine down and leave it with the bike.

The only thing I worry about is getting bird poop in it when its hanging there.
yeah my full faced is my go to when cruising longer distances, the half will only be used for local trips. Which is somewhat of a dumber idea considering I read somewhere most accidents happen near your home. God willing I never find out. do you know if the Vulcan custom 900 has a helmet lock?
hvmontoya is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 07:54 AM
Top Contributor
 
Bandit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Rochester, New York
Year/Make/Model: 2014 Vulcan 900 Custom - 2018 Yamaha XT250
Displacement/CC's: 900/250
Color: Candy Lime Green - Sandy Beige
Gender: Male
Posts: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvmontoya View Post
yeah my full faced is my go to when cruising longer distances, the half will only be used for local trips. Which is somewhat of a dumber idea considering I read somewhere most accidents happen near your home. God willing I never find out. do you know if the Vulcan custom 900 has a helmet lock?
Your Vulcan has a helmet "hook" under the seat.

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom



2018 Yamaha XT250
Bandit is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 09:14 AM
Top Contributor
 
VN750Guy**'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Fredrickson Washington
Year/Make/Model: 2006
Displacement/CC's: 750
Color: Red/black
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,077
Garage
I made a small, 10" long lanyard to lock my half face helmet up. I went to Home Depot and bought the plastic lined cable and swedges. Easy to make.

The white, half faced helmet you see in the picture to the left of the screen is the one I have to lock up with the cable. You see it in the picture sitting on the sissy bar but it doesn't go down far enough there to use the helmet lock that I had repositioned there on the sissy bar when I installed the hard mounted bags.

At the time I only owned a full faced helmet, which I positioned where you see the white one. Where the chin strap with the rings hung down to is where I positioned the helmet lock so the full face one can sit right there and be locked nicely.

Later I got the half face white one but needed to conjur up the lanyard setup. I just wrap it around the handlebar and let the helmet hang down.

If you don't like the factory thing by the seat, pay Home Depot a visit and make one for yourself.

Chris Cochran
Retired USAF '74 to '95 AMMO
Engine guard with highway pegs
Luggage rack
GPS on RAM handlebar mount
MCCTs replaced ACCTs
Iridium plugs: DPR7EIX-9
Custom made seat (verrry comfortable)
LED turn signals with rear signals relocated
LED license plate holder
Hard mounted Viking saddlebags
Hard mounted fork tool bag (free from Viking)
LED running lights on custom light bar
National Cycles Low Boy Heavy Duty windshield
Home made lowers
VN750Guy** is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
hvmontoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Socal
Year/Make/Model: 2013 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 903cc
Color: Black and white
Gender: Male
Posts: 46
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VN750Guy** View Post
I made a small, 10" long lanyard to lock my half face helmet up. I went to Home Depot and bought the plastic lined cable and swedges. Easy to make.

The white, half faced helmet you see in the picture to the left of the screen is the one I have to lock up with the cable. You see it in the picture sitting on the sissy bar but it doesn't go down far enough there to use the helmet lock that I had repositioned there on the sissy bar when I installed the hard mounted bags.

At the time I only owned a full faced helmet, which I positioned where you see the white one. Where the chin strap with the rings hung down to is where I positioned the helmet lock so the full face one can sit right there and be locked nicely.

Later I got the half face white one but needed to conjur up the lanyard setup. I just wrap it around the handlebar and let the helmet hang down.

If you don't like the factory thing by the seat, pay Home Depot a visit and make one for yourself.
Iím definitely going to look into that. I checked under the seat and couldnít find anything, I donít think I know what Iím looking for lol.
hvmontoya is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 05:49 AM
Member
 
kgun74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Near Pottsville Pa
Year/Make/Model: 2016 Vulcan 900 classic LT
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: black/silver
Gender: Male
Posts: 57
When me and the grandson ride we carry a cable lock bought from amazon. Thread it through the D rings in helmet and back through the sissy bar. Not 100% but anyone trying to remove would need some time and some tools. So far, works for me and the cable has a clear coating on it so no scratches and we carry it in the saddle bags-I have the classic LT.
kgun74 is online now  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 10:01 AM
Senior Member
 
D-Dub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Mid- MI
Year/Make/Model: 2015 Voyager
Posts: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvmontoya View Post
I’m definitely going to look into that. I checked under the seat and couldn’t find anything, I don’t think I know what I’m looking for lol.
There should be a small "J" shaped hook welded to the top of the frame under the seat. You hang your helmet by the D-ring on the hook. The seat covers the hook and D-ring, securing your helmet. It's not the most convenient system but gets the job done and doesn't require carrying any extra gadgets on the bike.
Unfortunately the Crazy Al's helmets don't have D-rings.

Last edited by D-Dub; 04-23-2018 at 10:04 AM.
D-Dub is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Smallest 'highway' Vulcan? kcducttaper General Vulcan Talk 29 04-08-2017 08:29 PM
smallest front tire 1500 classic bb45 Vulcan 1500 0 05-10-2013 09:08 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome